Preview Round 4, 2021: Fremantle v Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howe can’t be coached to have the ability to make that kick. Know thy limitations. It should be said too, he had someone 5-10 metres to the left of Silk - had he taken that option instead of Silk, he would have made the kick and switched successfully
And if Burger had of attacked the ball, how does the kick look then?
Inches in it.....

Totally agree, he never ever moves the ball on quickly. He always causes stagnant ball movement. His decision making is frighteningly slow. We need to surround Titch, Jaeger and Worps with quicker players not slow foot soldiers like Howe. Wingard made a huge difference on the weekend. Howe has a point of difference to the rest of our midfielders in that he is taller, has more mongrel and is better overhead but his weaknesses far outweigh his strengths.
IMO Maginness should be eyeing off Howe's spot in the team like he needs air to breathe. He needs to master the little things that Howe does well like block, physicality etc and is really something he should be striving for. Like what already has been mentioned the kid needs to improve his versatility because there are a few roles in this team he could fill.

Anyone think Finn's size numbers below have changed? I would've thought he weighed slightly more.

Daniel Howe 191cm / 87kg
Finn Maginess 187cm / 80kg

IMO Maginness should be eyeing off Howe's spot in the team like he needs air to breathe. He needs to master the little things that Howe does well like block, physicality etc and is really something he should be striving for. Like what already has been mentioned the kid needs to improve his versatility because there are a few roles in this team he could fill.

Anyone think Finn's size numbers below have changed? I would've thought he weighed slightly more.

Daniel Howe 191cm / 87kg

yeah 80kg seems quite low for Finn's build, I would've guessed mid-80s.

And if Burger had of attacked the ball, how does the kick look then?
Inches in it.....
At best he’s kicked to a contest. He doesn’t have the ability to make that kick. Similar case in the first quarter when he tried to get it inside 50 to McEvoy on his own. He didn’t have the length in the kick to get it over the Geelong player.

Spot on we want our players to take risks the more risks u take the better u get at taking them. We as a team need to be going the same direction. It makes us predictable to each other. Its the great essence of team

This is actually why I was happier with Howe's game against Geelong compared to against Richmond. Most had him in the bests but he consistently refused to take any risks at critical times when the game was there to be won. He at least tried against the Cats but his execution wasn't there. And that isn't a minor issue.

At best he’s kicked to a contest. He doesn’t have the ability to make that kick. Similar case in the first quarter when he tried to get it inside 50 to McEvoy on his own. He didn’t have the length in the kick to get it over the Geelong player.
The one to McEvoy was because he was kicking into a fairly swirly breeze. Howe can kick it 50. Quite a few hawks missed targets for the same reason in the first qtr. He isn't birchall or sic that's for sure

It's fine if Clarko or anybody for that matter wants to defend Howe in the final quarter by saying 'at least he took the correct option' (which I still don't personally agree with, but that doesn't matter for the sake of this argument), that's fine. However, if you were getting open heart surgery done and the surgeon knew all the correct methods and followed everything by the book BUT wasn't skilled enough to perform them without making a mistake, would you still feel comfortable going ahead with the operation?

That may sound dramatic, but eventually consistency of execution MUST mean more.

I liked his game against Richmond and i'll back him in again if selected, but i'd have him in our next group of expendable players if we need to get some new blokes in.

One thing that bothered me the last two weeks was our lack of spread from contests compared to the opposition. It's why i'd like to see Cousins in at some point who does that well, or Moore given more opportunity through the guts. Just something to add an extra dynamic in our midfield when JOM or Titch win first possession.
Completely agree. Happy with Howe to keep his spot on the basis that he made the right decisions but failed to execute successfully. But also expect him to lose his spot if there's another player who is expected to also make the right decisions and execute successfully more often than him. Whether that's this week or down the track.

Howe gets accused one week of being too safe and then the next week of being too daring. Rightly or wrongly, he took a chance and it didn't pay off.

I'm more annoyed at Koschitzke dropping an absolute sitter under no pressure than Howe mucking up a kick that had no room for error in a high pressure situation.

OUT: Howe, Kosi
IN: Downie, TOB

Possibly Cegs too. Kosi is no where near it, TOB isn't much better but he presents better than Kosi.

I actually think it's worth getting a look at Nash with the new stand rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wingard not doing much at training.

Presumably a management thing than anything else.
Hopefully only that. He was very good on the weekend and hopefully can have an injury free season from now.

Daniel Howe 191cm / 87kg

I get this feeling that Maginess may be the heir apparent to Howe's position. Has him comfortably covered for speed and most land likeley endurance. Pretty sure Finn is at least 189 cm as well, possibly taller. Looks like they are grooming him to be a little more versatile as a mid which I like but not quite ready to go at AFL level

Only four players in the league have polled coaches' votes in all three rounds so far:
Taylor Walker
Jack McRae
Ben Keays
Chankguoth Jiath

I get this feeling that Maginess may be the heir apparent to Howe's position. Has him comfortably covered for speed and most land likeley endurance. Pretty sure Finn is at least 189 cm as well, possibly taller. Looks like they are grooming him to be a little more versatile as a mid which I like but not quite ready to go at AFL level
I think a key difference is Howe can play defense where Maginness can play forward but you could be on to something.

It's fine if Clarko or anybody for that matter wants to defend Howe in the final quarter by saying 'at least he took the correct option' (which I still don't personally agree with, but that doesn't matter for the sake of this argument), that's fine. However, if you were getting open heart surgery done and the surgeon knew all the correct methods and followed everything by the book BUT wasn't skilled enough to perform them without making a mistake, would you still feel comfortable going ahead with the operation?

That may sound dramatic, but eventually consistency of execution MUST mean more.

I liked his game against Richmond and i'll back him in again if selected, but i'd have him in our next group of expendable players if we need to get some new blokes in.

One thing that bothered me the last two weeks was our lack of spread from contests compared to the opposition. It's why i'd like to see Cousins in at some point who does that well, or Moore given more opportunity through the guts. Just something to add an extra dynamic in our midfield when JOM or Titch win first possession.

Every surgeon that reaches that level is skilled in that surgery.
Sometimes the parameters change..and can do so very quickly.
It’s a team effort from Nurse to anaesthetist to assisting surgeon and doc.
And when they are under pressure one of another 3/4 surgeons are on standby to step in.
Weird analogy. I get where you are coming from but I’d personally hate someone operating on me that was flying by the seat of his/her pants on talent alone.

This is actually why I was happier with Howe's game against Geelong compared to against Richmond. Most had him in the bests but he consistently refused to take any risks at critical times when the game was there to be won. He at least tried against the Cats but his execution wasn't there. And that isn't a minor issue.
The problem with Howe is he thinks too much before he makes a decision, with a slow decision, you end up not executing the kick or you end up going with the safe option, the ball is moving fast this year, Howe needs to react quicker in what his going to do, as you won’t be under so much pressure or the opposition players can react quicker what you are going to do

What’s with some people out there asking to drop Kosi? It’s his third AFL game, he’s been transitioned from a defender to a forward during the pre season and yet you expect him to kick a bag of goals every game and not make mistakes? Let him make mistakes and learn from it and give him time to gel with Lewis. The more games he plays, the better he will get. If O’Brien comes in and doesn’t kick a goal and has a bad game, you will be saying the same. Just sit back and be patient.

Every surgeon that reaches that level is skilled in that surgery.
Sometimes the parameters change..and can do so very quickly.
It’s a team effort from Nurse to anaesthetist to assisting surgeon and doc.
And when they are under pressure one of another 3/4 surgeons are on standby to step in.
Weird analogy. I get where you are coming from but I’d personally hate someone operating on me that was flying by the seat of his/her pants on talent alone.
Poor response to be honest. Because he is using the analogy for afl players, some of whom certainly DON'T have the skill to achieve what is being asked of them, when their role is another different one.

I have no issue however with Howe's kicks, he is generally a great kick. 3 or 4 seasons ago against Essendon I believe, he was 55 or 56 out, decided to have a shot and the stupid moronic umpire having just had a lobotomy performed by the surgeon described in the above post, ignored the shot clock and told him to play on, believing he was just wasting time and couldn't make the shot. The man on the markrushed him and he calmly slotted it from well beyond 50. No problem with his kicking. People who can do that have a license to take risks. What did it for me on the weekend was the number of times during general play he'd take so long to make a decision, his hand was forced and he'd get caught. That just can't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back