Preview Round 15, 2023 : Gold Coast v Hawthorn, 4.40pm Sunday 25th, Heritage Bank Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going by Sam's comments in this article on DGB, won't be surprised if DGB plays. Is that instead of Sicily or Scrim is the question for me.

“He’s just in the larger squad at this stage,” Mitchell said of the 21-year-old.

“He has done what is required and now it’s about opportunity. With Sicily out we’d expect him to be in sooner rather than later.

“The last month he’s taken that next step with his progress, he’s been able to defend well and now he’s starting to take a few more intercepts and play with a little bit more of that natural freedom that he was drafted for.

“We put a few building blocks in, scaffolded a few of his other skills and now it’s about time for him to start really stepping into that role. We’ve given him a bit more freedom so hopefully it all comes together for him over the next week or three.”
I read that as ‘if DGB plays well for Box Hill this week, or next, he comes into the Hawthorn side the week after’.

I honestly feel like this is the first time in about 5 years where we have picked a team that doesn't contain any "passengers", that is older players past their prime playing on reputation (i.e Stratts last couple of years) or young players being played purely for development (i.e. DGBs first two years).

Every player in the 22 is in form and knows that if their form drops even a little their is at least 5 quality players playing for Box Hill who can take their spot.

That to me is a sign of a team taking a big step in maturity and will make us a lot more consistent team week on week.
Sorry to be pedantic, but how is this different this week compared to before the bye? Given the only change is Frost for Sic (and I'd suggest Frost is a passenger).

Sorry to be pedantic, but how is this different this week compared to before the bye? Given the only change is Frost for Sic (and I'd suggest Frost is a passenger).
Frost is boderline and I guess that shows my point that the closet we can get to a passenger in the side is Frosty (who can be very good on his day)

Probably this week it is more evident as we have multiple players in good form in the VFL who can’t crack a spot in the 22 but yes probably same as before the bye.

Moore and CMac can always spend more time in the mid, allowing the likes of Greene to have a run. 5.0 goals against top side Brisbane may have given Greene some much needed confidence after his form slump.
In my view, I don't think of it as a form slump as the forward line delivery from up field was up the s**t, learning the plan collectively with on field experience of it working. So the team was struggling, now the team has changed a lot since, the confidence in being able to win a game has changed and I think that FG would have a role, however, whom goes out?

In my view, I don't think of it as a form slump as the forward line delivery from up field was up the s**t, learning the plan collectively with on field experience of it working. So the team was struggling, now the team has changed a lot since, the confidence in being able to win a game has changed and I think that FG would have a role, however, whom goes out?
Fergus kicked lots of 2, 2, 3, 3 from rounds 3-6 then was goalless for the next 2 games (form slump) which saw him dropped. Playing for Box Hill he kicked a goal a game for the next 3 games (continued form slump), I am sure he would admit this is below par for him. Last game saw him retain some of his mojo with 5.0 against top team Brisbane.

Frost is boderline and I guess that shows my point that the closet we can get to a passenger in the side is Frosty (who can be very good on his day)

Probably this week it is more evident as we have multiple players in good form in the VFL who can’t crack a spot in the 22 but yes probably same as before the bye.
I would put Bramble in the same bracket, not sure how he getting a game ahead of a number of others. Hopefully he shows me why this weekend.

100%.

In our first several weeks, we were incredibly inefficient at scoring. Since playing West Coast in Round 10, we haven't scored less than 88 points and we've had multiple avenues to goal.

I'm comfortable with Fergus getting some more games. I think he'll benefit a lot from the team's development since his last game.

100%.

In our first several weeks, we were incredibly inefficient at scoring. Since playing West Coast in Round 10, we haven't scored less than 88 points and we've had multiple avenues to goal.

I'm comfortable with Fergus getting some more games. I think he'll benefit a lot from the team's development since his last game.
Problem with greene is he is only effective with the ball in hand and doesn’t get a lot of it. The team has benefited greatly from his absence playing two genuine tall forwards with players capable of exerting pressure at ground level. This gives us an opportunity to win the ball back in the midfield instead of conceding lopsided inside fifty counts and having to attack from deep in our own defence. That is part of why our ball movement is better. The improvement isn’t all because of greene but it’s a factor in getting the structure and balance of the side right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore was delisted, now he is our acting captain.
That's right. Never give up.

Moore being delisted and now captain is like how a game day thread goes about him as a player. Day traders calling for his head in the first quarter before looking like keyboard heroes as he has a great game.

He's a ripper.

Problem with greene is he is only effective with the ball in hand and doesn’t get a lot of it. The team has benefited greatly from his absence playing two genuine tall forwards with players capable of exerting pressure at ground level. This gives us an opportunity to win the ball back in the midfield instead of conceding lopsided inside fifty counts and having to attack from deep in our own defence. That is part of why our ball movement is better. The improvement isn’t all because of greene but it’s a factor in getting the structure and balance of the side right.
We just look better with more pressure around the team, greene doesn’t bring enough but offers scoreboard pressure - if we had a more developed team I’d see his role as being pretty key but if he is just a marking and link forward I’m not sure we need that with two key forwards.

I still think if we taught cj to play his same role he would be impossible to defend and bring the pressure.

GC Have some weird mental edge on us - we've generally struggled against them (even if we end up winning)

If we get within 5 goals it'd be a good result
We beat them last time in Tassie

We struggle travelling anywhere apart from Tassie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back