Preview Round 4, 2023: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 8th April, 7:30PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 62 80.5%
  • Suns

Votes: 15 19.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeffrey is 192cm 88kg.

The obvious call would have been Jimmy Webster (188cm 84kg), but he’s out. So… we have three remaining options, because Sinclair won’t be the one to stand him…

NAS - 187cm 76kg
Paton - 187cm 82kg
Stocker - 184cm 86kg

My vote would be Paton. He’s arguably the most defensive of the three, his height is a closer match than Stocker, and the weight differential is not that much of an issue, in that “throwing his weight around” isn’t really a feature of Jeffrey’s game.

Paton > Stocker > NAS

That’s my take anyway.
Yeah agree with Paton defending against Jeffrey. He's a good defender and that leaves Stocker, NWM and Sincs with a bit more freedom to create and use the ball.

You can see why Wood is such a key because of his ability to get back and help out in defence.

Funnily enough, Casboult is the one that worries me the most. He's likely to play up the ground a bit so that doesn't suit Dougal so that leaves Battle as the obvious choice. Casboult is a bit hit and miss but he might be a real handful for Battle if he is on.

Yeah agree with Paton defending against Jeffrey. He's a good defender and that leaves Stocker, NWM and Sincs with a bit more freedom to create and use the ball.

You can see why Wood is such a key because of his ability to get back and help out in defence.

Funnily enough, Casboult is the one that worries me the most. He's likely to play up the ground a bit so that doesn't suit Dougal so that leaves Battle as the obvious choice. Casboult is a bit hit and miss but he might be a real handful for Battle if he is on.
Casboult’s a mark or bust player..Battle is perfect for him.

Lyon is much more zoning than Ratts. Not sure that we don't have a zone and just the 2 key talls manned up. King and Casboult or whoever the main KPs are will get Wilkie or Battle and Howard. The rest just shut down space.

I think he definitely seems to relishing his second chance. He would have been thinking that his coaching journey was over a couple of years back. Like a second chance at anything you don't take it for granted and the little irritations seem a lot more trivial all of a sudden. being a senior AFL coach isn't well paid or particularly rewarding unless you are one of the rare ones that wins a flag but it gives you a prestige and esteem. Working as a real estate agent and part time footy comments man is a bit like going from college professor to become a retail assistant at David Jones after being the head honcho.
Despite his undoubted tactical acumen, the biggest change I see in him is his willingness to entrust a big part of our development and planning to his assistants. He's coming across as the General Manager as much as the Head Coach.

RTB and Enright are a marriage made in heaven from a defensive point of view.

Despite his undoubted tactical acumen, the biggest change I see in him is his willingness to entrust a big part of our development and planning to his assistants. He's coming across as the General Manager as much as the Head Coach.

RTB and Enright are a marriage made in heaven from a defensive point of view.
Yes, that’s the biggest change I’ve noticed compared with the last time he coached us. He lets the assistants have a lot of input. Over preseason they were ones running most of the drills. Ross looks happy to take a step back and then come in when he needs to. So far it seems to be working perfectly.

Hoping with the good start and good vibes going on old mate Pardon me pops back in once and a while
Miss his posting

One of our better posters. Hope he's loving the start.
Thanks guys 😍
Absolutely we are! Kids are up and about and all my middle aged Richmond and geelong mates are saying they would never have taken RTB back which tells me we’ve done the right thing if it annoys them to the point of mentioning.
I’ve been around lurking but it’s at the stage of AB in the shower for hours type level of superstition. The less posting I do the more wins we get?
If we lose this week 100% confirmed theory.
Loving the kids, the game plan and the buy in.
We finally seem to have some direction as a playing and coaching group and not flailing about which I think killed my love the last few years.
Just realized this rant has nothing to do with the thread so I’ll close by saying the Suns always pose a challenge for us so won’t be taking them lightly.
Appreciate all the thoughts and mentions.

Thanks guys 😍
Absolutely we are! Kids are up and about and all my middle aged Richmond and geelong mates are saying they would never have taken RTB back which tells me we’ve done the right thing if it annoys them to the point of mentioning.
I’ve been around lurking but it’s at the stage of AB in the shower for hours type level of superstition. The less posting I do the more wins we get?
We finally seem to have some direction as a playing and coaching group and not flailing about which I think killed my love the last few years.
Just realized this rant has nothing to do with the thread so I’ll close by saying the Suns always pose a challenge for us so won’t be taking them lightly.
Good to see you're still around mate. Our new look side has brought a lot of people back and invested in the club. Understand if you want to lurk but would be good to see you posting again. Stay well 👍

I've got 1 adult ticket to the Gather Round Sunday matches (Geelong v WC and then Collingwood v St Kilda). I'm not looking for anything for it, but hoping it can go to someone who will genuinely use it. It's an excellent seat in the middle section of the Riverbank Stand.

PM me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty shocked Cordy retained his spot. That would have to be some sort of statistical anomaly - having a 1 disposal game and getting selected the next week

He has been kept in most likely due the lack of competition for the ruck forward spot.

We would like it to be Hayes, but is injured.

Heaths' tank is not yet big enough. But ina year or two it could be. Plus his ruck craft will get better.

Campbell is really just a back up if Marshall cannot play at all. So it is No1 ruck or not play.

The other option would be to just play Marshall alone and go without the back up tall. But this week the Suns area tall team, and Witts is a ruck beast.

If he has another bad game, then against the ruckless Pies, if they stay that way, we may go with Marshall alone.

He has been kept in most likely due the lack of competition for the ruck forward spot.

Heaths' tank is not yet big enough. But ina year or two it could be. Plus his ruck craft will get better.

Campbell is really just a back up if Marshall cannot play at all. So it is No1 ruck or not play.

The other option would be to just play Marshall alone and go without the back up tall. But this week the Suns area tall team, and Witts is a ruck beast.

If he has another bad game, then against the ruckless Pies, if they stay that way, we may go with Marshall alone.
I think Cordy is also taking a bit of physical pressure off Owens and Caminiti. His stats might not look good but Ross obviously wants him in the team until we get some players back from injury.

Last edited:
I was away last week and out of internet range but managed to watch us beat the miserable Bombers on a tiny screen with poor reception. Was so emotionally invested in the game and the cab sav that I had no objectivity, just sheer joy and many refilled glasses.

Just watched the replay. We have a lot to clear up with our forward entries, we had many, many "nearly" goals and a lot of forward 50 turnovers. A better team than the Bombers could have put us away.

However if we kicked better into the forward 50, (Gresh, in particular) we'd never have been in danger of losing.

I have no doubt the players know their entries must be far better to give our tall kids a much better chance, but we must actually do it tomorrow night, not only to chalk up another win (and remain unbeaten on top of the ladder - would have believed that!!), but to have game hardened confidence to do the same to the Pies next week!

After we beat the Suns I'm going to make burnt offerings to the footy gods, starting with roast magpies stuffed with black and white hubris!!

Wood needs to keep away from Benny Long.
They’ll probably end up out for the same amount of weeks at the end of the game.

Danger game

Danger danger danger, game game game
brian taylor no GIF by Essendon FC

Thanks guys 😍
Good to hear from you Buddy

Make sure you keep popping in the place is better when you're posting

Yeah that'd be the reason, but Campbell played very well in the 2s and would be a better ruck backup and also forward option in my view

I've got 1 adult ticket to the Gather Round Sunday matches (Geelong v WC and then Collingwood v St Kilda). I'm not looking for anything for it, but hoping it can go to someone who will genuinely use it. It's an excellent seat in the middle section of the Riverbank Stand.

PM me.
Nice stuff mate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back