Review Round 4 - Western Sydney @ Mt. Barker - 7th April 2024 - 12:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

If he does get suspended, will he be the first player to get suspended and kick a goal from same incident?

There were some really let’s just say “weird calls” both ways. I hate blaming umpires but they haven’t had a good weekend

Really liked Clohesy on a wing (and a goal!). Really liked Mac back (intercept king!). Really liked Flanders playing half back too (good disposal for the most part). Though Graham was pretty solid overall too.

Did not like Luko down back—he just doesn’t seem to enjoy it and isn’t playing with any confidence or intent. Putting him back and Read forward? Still not sure about it.

In the end I think we went too tall and their run got us. Just too silky and too clinical. You can tell many have played together and in a winning side, which makes a big difference. But it was a good game for 3 quarters.

I like that I know what to expect from the team now, win or lose. At times, our pressure was absolutely relentless and we just had a cool head but they showed why they're top dog in the end when we had a few chances to put them down. As someone else said, I am disappointed and part of me wished we got smashed harder because I had hope til the last 6 minutes.

Agree on Clohesy, he's strangely good for a guy no one wanted. Great pickup and fills a glaring need for us on the outside. He is what Sharp was meant to be.

Mac, I have no PG rated comments but let's just say that I am not wearing pants. That was the breakout game for him to realise his potential and it's now up from here. The dude is a freak. That side step and turn for a guy that size is ******* outrageous + he just has all the other tools... skill, aggression, marking ability and a great reader of the play.

IDGAF about the frees against, he plays on the edge. He'll learn how to do it smarter. Essendon could learn from him lol

Touks defensive work has been poor this year in general I think. Leagues away from the 2022 Touk.

Not just me then.
2 tackles today, but it is the overall lack of pressure. The boundary riders were always talking about how he would get back to help out and make plays in our D50, then run forward. Always tackling, always hard to play against. Less obvious this year, hopefully just out of form a bit as Noah and Rowelly take more of the load.

But they towelled up our mids in the 4th quarter today, and Miller is supposed to be the AA level player who can match it with anyone.

Should be paying Mac a million bux not King
Walter looks to of over taken King in a handful of games

Subbing Read instead of Humphrey for the last qtr could of been game changing

Is Humper injured? He didn't set the world on fire but found it odd if it was strategic.

Mount barker was unreal, not the best for viewing!

I was hard on King last week but he did everything I wanted to see today, only 3 touches but he was an option, and had the better of Sam Taylor who is in my opinion a top 5 player in the AFL.

Clohsey was fantastic, an absolute steal. Clean, good by foot, didn't make a bad decision.

We've got the best Berry, hard, quick, agile, can miss by foot but he's another bargain and i think him and Rosas will create panic goals for us.

In the end GWS were quicker than us to react when the ball turns over and the micro second that we ball watch or go towards the ball, their player is out the back and has a metre on them and then they execute the handball very well as well. We were happy trying to kick the ball down field with short kicks, where they were probably more aggressive by handballing off the mark to create movement and the orange tsunami starts.

But all in all, fantastic day. Great game of high level football

We easily gave away 5 goals with silly turnovers, poor decision making kicking out of defence and some soft efforts in 50/50 contests.

But that’s all fixable.

Don’t think Read is developed enough yet to be best 23. Would rather play Moyle as a 2nd ruckman. Would offer plenty more forward, around the ground and in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he does get suspended, will he be the first player to get suspended and kick a goal from same incident?
Kind of remarkable that not one of the other 3 umpires saw an elite strong nasty athlete in Toby Greene ram another players head into the ground with force but plenty of eyes to see a Giants defender fall over after running into Mally at fullforward resulting in a free kick reversal on the wing and goal to GWS
Oh hang on
Its not remarkable at all

Proud of the boys. Would have really liked a win but the future is clearly very bright after what we saw today. Dimma's gameplan is starting to shine through now and you can see some of the boys are starting to thrive under the new regime. Can't wait to see it up close next week against the Hawks!

Also, can we just take a minute to appreciate Will Graham's performance on debut? He played onball against one of the premier midfields in the comp and recorded 17 disposals, 5 clearances and 3 tackles. That's an unreal effort for an 18 year old in his first game.

Toby Greene shouldn’t be able to pick up and dump a 203cm key position player.

It’s Mac’s own fault for never setting foot in the gym

Expansion cup needs to grow, we have no blockbuster games, even if it is a little tongue in cheek, needs to be prime time, heavily marketed and try to sell out these games, it has potential

After quite a deflating final quarter the Suns ended up soundly beaten by the Giants, at least on the scoreboard. But the Suns controlled large portions of that game without putting the required points on the board. With three debutants we all thought the Suns were in for a hiding but that performance shows they are much closer to a finals-ready side than I thought.

The fourth quarter is what we expected the whole game to look like. The Giants moving the ball how they want and the Suns not getting the most out of their possessions. It was disappointing after the first three quarters of effort to let the game get away from them like that. There is no point only working hard for 75% of the game. Its more of the same lesson for some of these players but most of the young players showed more than just promise. The same issues continue to plague the Suns. If you don't hammer the scoreboard when you have the run of things you will inevitably fall short. And then when you aren't dominating you have to fight hard when the ball is up for grabs to keep the opposition from capitalising.

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com...4-v-giants-the-expansion-cup-stays-in-sydney/

I have to say it was pretty awful to watch Ballard on Toby Greene on First Crack. Who came up with that idea, haha?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back