Autopsy Round 5, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it legal for a player to kick out at other players when going for a mark? Dangerfield did it to both Jones and Ginbey in the first quarter. The latter one was surely kicking in danger as it was near Ginbey’s head.

Why the MRO has not charged Dangerfield for eye-gouging? Watching the replay, his hand should never be at Ginbey‘s eye position. The worst is the duration of his hand at that position is long enough to say his action is deliberate.

I don't enjoy posting much these days given the current climate. I'm a lurker! I just want to comment on Dangerfield and his treatment of our beloved Ginbey... In my opinion he is our great hope! ☺️

1. Simmo... I don't mind you but come on mate...Friends and family? it's not the right ethos. Friends and family don't let a young kid/brother get bullied/picked on by someone like Dangerfield. Eye gouging- whether intentional or not. Studs up-just a dog act. All the niggling and god damn prickery.... we probably didn't see it all. Dangerfield rode the kid all day long and to his credit the kid hung in all day. Where were the team? I don't think I saw anyone come and remonstrate with Dangerfield too much and look after the kid? I'd like to see someone like Liam Duggan or SPS who have great personality's come in and show some physicality. Longy and Hunt can tackle beautifully but sometimes you have to be aggressive and do more than tackle.

2. Yeo. I'm in two minds. I love/adore Yeo for getting physical on behalf of Ginbey and the whole team- even in the middle without the Dangerfield incident Yeo was certainly playing like we want and winning a few clearances and then he wanted to pay one back for our Reuben. Good on him! Finally one of the blokes understand! Woosha behold! Sadly poor Elliot's body doesn't work with him anymore and he's hurt himself 🤦‍♀️😭 I'm 50/50 on what I would have done... 90% sure I would have dumped Dangerfield too!!! 😈😈😈😈

Positives:

JJ played well, lots of dash - I thought he was our best.
Oscar and Jake good games up forward.
Two and a half good quarters.
SPS continues to do something good with the footy nearly every time he gets it.
The youth: good signs from Gibney, Long and Culley.
Get to sit and watch another AFL game for no extra cost as a reward for driving 750 km to watch the Eagles play.

Negatives:

Barrass a poor game and little visible leadership.
Second quarter was manure.
I just can't see XON making it.
Apparently throws are legal now.
So sick of hearing that **** Cats theme song.
It was yesterday but Elijah Hewett getting injured was the lowlight of the weekend. Hope it's not too serious.
Agree wholeheartedly with this. Barass has been atrocious this year - he needs to just get back to playing as an old school full back hellbent on preventing his opponent from getting the footy. He is so often hanging off looking for an intercept but now we are playing more aggressively off half back we are being exposed on turnover and he can’t be zoning off.
The other negative to me was witherden, his defensive work is ordinary (but improved) and his foot skills are sub-par.
Agree with Hewett, fortunately it’s a medium grade lateral ligament, 2-4weeks max.

Positives:
Allen and Waterman played fantastically
Jones continues to accumulate across half-back
Nice glimpses from Clark, Culley and Petruccelle

Negatives:
Defence looks disorganised without McGovern and Hurn
O'Neill looks short of the level
Gaff gave very little today - too slow for his old role on the wing, and playing inside is not his strength
Gaff must go. Youve summed it up perfectly - too slow for wing and too soft for inside. Play Burgiel off half back and push Hough and Hunt up to wing. Might as well develo young players.

I liked Yeo smashing Dangerfield on the wing when he got the chance after sitting at HBF and watching what that campaigner was doing to Ginbey ..
I didn’t care if he gave a free kick or not ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Glad someone got him. Dirty. Definitely made an effort to impose himself on Ginbey.

Why the MRO has not charged Dangerfield for eye-gouging? Watching the replay, his hand should never be at Ginbey‘s eye position. The worst is the duration of his hand at that position is long enough to say his action is deliberate.
Surprised at no fine.
The eye gouge, at the game was clear as day what he was trying to do.
Then the studs out (Toby Greene rule) should've been a free against Dangerfield.
Square up will happen one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I’ve seen, I reckon SPS is much improved and getting better every game. His inside work and tackling show his physicality is a world away from where it has been. Unlike some of our mid tier blokes, he shows a hell of a lot of promise. The only real question is where to play him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I hope SPS does find a position. Trouble is he’s had 112 games at two clubs. You’d think he’d have found his niche by now.
But hope he succeeds - we need our mid range players to really step up.

Is it legal for a player to kick out at other players when going for a mark? Dangerfield did it to both Jones and Ginbey in the first quarter. The latter one was surely kicking in danger as it was near Ginbey’s head.

Toby Greene was fined $1500 in 2017 when he collected L.Dahlhaus in the face going studs up into a mark.

The tribunal graded it as "misconduct", however also inferred that any similar future offence would be classed as "rough conduct" that would automatically attract a minimum two-week ban.

Hence it being described as the "Toby Greene rule"*.

* Toby Greene rule does not apply if the offender happens to be the captain of Geelong.

I haven't had a chance to see the game yet. How did my man Luke Edwards go? Only 10 touches but 4 clearances and 7 tackles?
Good when he got it, but seem to be positioned well away from the action a lot of the time. Was on the wing a bit.

Good question. The answer of course is that some players are evidently more equal than others in the eyes of the tribunal.

Going back to Toby Greene again, he missed a Preliminary Final in 2019 because of this:

Arguably, what Dangerfield did to Ginbey is just as bad, with the potential to cause injury far worse due to the force involved:

Toby Greene was fined $1500 in 2017 when he collected L.Dahlhaus in the face going studs up into a mark.

The tribunal graded it as "misconduct", however also inferred that any similar future offence would be classed as "rough conduct" that would automatically attract a minimum two-week ban.

Hence it being described as the "Toby Greene rule"*.

* Toby Greene rule does not apply if the offender happens to be the captain of Geelong.
To me, Dangerfield has to explain his action.
1. The contact is high.
2. The Impact resulted in Ginbey leaving the field for treatment (whether he need further treatment later in Perth is also important)
3. Eyes are very important organ of human and shall be well protected (and we dont want someone losing an eye before classifying as critical impact)
4. It looks intentional from Dangerfield‘s expression and the contact duration is long enough to judge so.

Is the Danger eye thing being deliberate some new dumb board injoke I'm missing or have people genuinely lost their minds?
Why Dont We Have Both GIF

I don't understand the "Crickets" from the AFL regards Dangerfield.
There have been calls from Fox, News .com, Mongrel punt etc on the incident and absolute Nothing from the AFL.
F#*ckers are a law unto themselves on who they hang out to dry and who they don't.
What an arse thing to do to a 5 gamer and it pisses me off.

I don't understand the "Crickets" from the AFL regards Dangerfield.
There have been calls from Fox, News .com, Mongrel punt etc on the incident and absolute Nothing from the AFL.
F#*ckers are a law unto themselves on who they hang out to dry and who they don't.
What an arse thing to do to a 5 gamer and it pisses me off.

He is President of the AFLPA player representatives that has agreed to a Collective Bargaining Agreement of approximately 28% of total competition revenue, when almost all other comparable leagues average a figure between 40-50%.

Total revenue was almost $950M in 2022.

Of course he gets special treatment. As the figurehead of a pliant player's association that refuses to bargain for its appropriate share, he is effectively saving the competition administration $150M annually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back