Autopsy Round 5, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Not in my opinion. Last 2 games have been 7 kicks 3 handballs and 9 kicks 1 handball. Stats aren't everything but he's been largely invisible to me.
Agree to disagree, I think he's been a real barometer for us this season.

Agree to disagree, I think he's been a real barometer for us this season.
I think he's been good also. Playing that difficult half forward role. Applying defensive pressure well, nabbed a couple of goals the last 2 weeks and looks to be creative with ball in hand. He's a work in progress like the rest of the team, but showing promise in the role.

Has any club raised concerns about Riccuito's dual role as club director and commentator. You know, like they did with Daisy Pearce?

Then they'd have to address Dunstall, or Liam Pickering, or any number of the nepotistic inbred media personalities with conflicts of interest with their fingers currently in multiple pies.

Why is it that whenever someone posts something about player X, someone else is inevitably prompted to say exactly the opposite? Same applies to other threads, like whether the players or the Club management or the Club culture is “soft”. And then the BSDs of the forum will post what they reckon is a devastating put down of whoever it was to have the temerity to say something they don’t agree with: the BSD final word. And this goes on in every club’s forum, from what I can tell. What is it? Some form of hazing? Keyboard warrior bullying? I don’t know, but it’s not confined to this forum or this site (think Twitter and the like). Nobody in this group doesn’t support WCE and want it to thrive. Nobody likes to see the Club struggle and we all have different views as to to how things might be turned around.

For my part, I accept we are in a rebuild, I like the new game plan much better than the old and I don’t think keeping older players past their use by date is a good idea (using Dermie’s used car analogy, I reckon it’s better to trade your old car while you can still get something for it, rather than run it until it stops). I’ve already said my piece about yesterday’s game: there was a lot to like (but plenty to dislike too). And the Cats were just awesome once they got going in the first half.

Okay, now over to the BSDs to tell me why I’m full of s**t or why my post was a waste of space or stating the bleeding obvious or something. It doesn’t matter what. For these blokes, it’s the put down that gives them the buzz. We all need to do better in this regard.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm on the Dangerfield did it deliberately to Ginbey view.

Ginbey barely a minute earlier had chased him down and dumped him out of a stoppage - he [Dangerfield] knew exactly what he was doing and has past form for doing similar acts in the opening stages of matches as a means of "asserting" himself over his opponents.

The studs up mark was more of the same. Nobody does that without intent.

Geelong, in particular their captain, singled out a rookie in their 5th match for special attention.

There are three disappointing things about that:
  • It's Dangerfield, and two dog acts that warrant suspension will be completely overlooked.
  • By allowing that, the competition effectively condones players to be sniped out if it aligns with their PR goals.
  • That it took 2.5 quarters for an Eagle (Yeo) to iron out Dangerfield, given his antics in the 1st quarter.

The latter for me, is most disappointing of all.

I'm convinced if someone were to have flatlined Dangerfield into next week during the first quarter, that all-too-easy precession of Geelong goals in second quarter does not occur. Geelong asked the question and the team stepped aside rather than step up.
My old physio was at the time one of the physios at Geelong, and in early 2020 we were talking about how good Matt Rowell was (it was just after the GC-WC game). He was telling me how he overheard Dangerfield and Selwood at breakfast gushing over him, and discussing how the only way to stop the nuggety ranga would be to smash him in the contest.

Lo and behold a couple of weeks later he breaks his collarbone or something in a tackle, playing against Geelong.

I mean, it’s not rocket science to say you need to clamp down on a guy like Rowell, so hardly groundbreaking gossip. But I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if the eye gouge was deliberate.

This bloke would reveal way too much about players (and coaches) at the club, which was great for me. Hopefully he’s not on BF though.

Why is it that whenever someone posts something about player X, someone else is inevitably prompted to say exactly the opposite? Same applies to other threads, like whether the players or the Club management or the Club culture is “soft”. And then the BSDs of the forum will post what they reckon is a devastating put down of whoever it was to have the temerity to say something they don’t agree with: the BSD final word. And this goes on in every club’s forum, from what I can tell. What is it? Some form of hazing? Keyboard warrior bullying? I don’t know, but it’s not confined to this forum or this site (think Twitter and the like). Nobody in this group doesn’t support WCE and want it to thrive. Nobody likes to see the Club struggle and we all have different views as to to how things might be turned around.

For my part, I accept we are in a rebuild, I like the new game plan much better than the old and I don’t think keeping older players past their use by date is a good idea (using Dermie’s used car analogy, I reckon it’s better to trade your old car while you can still get something for it, rather than run it until it stops). I’ve already said my piece about yesterday’s game: there was a lot to like (but plenty to dislike too). And the Cats were just awesome once they got going in the first half.

Okay, now over to the BSDs to tell me why I’m full of s**t or why my post was a waste of space or stating the bleeding obvious or something. It doesn’t matter what. For these blokes, it’s the put down that gives them the buzz. We all need to do better in this regard.

It's almost like the very definition of a forum is to allow for the discussion of things including varying opinions. 🤔

It's almost like the very definition of a forum is to allow for the discussion of things including varying opinions. 🤔
To be fair, there are many who make it their raison d'etre to seek out, dismantle and discredit overly hot takes they don’t agree with. On here and elsewhere online. Then the hot taker digs their heels in, and the dismantler goes even harder, and so it spirals into toxicity.

People will call it rational debate etc, but it’s become a normalised way of communicating despite it not really existing in a real life social environment. So I get their point. Even if I disagree with their hot takes.

To be fair, there are many who make it their raison d'etre to seek out, dismantle and discredit overly hot takes they don’t agree with. On here and elsewhere online. Then the hot taker digs their heels in, and the dismantler goes even harder, and so it spirals into toxicity.

People will call it rational debate etc, but it’s become a normalised way of communicating despite it not really existing in a real life social environment. So I get their point. Even if I disagree with their hot takes.

You've just made an enemy for life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shut up you goddamn dumb idiot!

* shudders *

Aww yeah, that's the stuff

I just thought of another positive. When Geelong were running over the top of us, they were doing so in a predictable manner - their two outstanding KPFs kicking goals for fun against a backline that was outmatched for strength and athleticism. But then - something changed. Geelong still kept kicking enough goals to keep a comfortable margin, but it wasn't Cameron and Hawkins doing it. Did we change something in our defensive structure? Because by all accounts, Cameron and Hawkins should have continued to be way too good for Barrass (2023 version) and Rotham.

Not in my opinion. Last 2 games have been 7 kicks 3 handballs and 9 kicks 1 handball. Stats aren't everything but he's been largely invisible to me.
He's a bit like Jones was last year. Does good things when around it but not involved much. Its ok providing the others are getting the ball but we have about 8 guys that are struggling to have any significant influence atm.

After the Geelong ruck got a knee to the ribs last week, Chris Scott got all hyped up in the presser saying that the league sent a memo ruling it out.

Fast forward to this week, Danger kneed I think Yeo in the chest in the 1st, then eye gouged and kicked Ginbey.

I ******* hate that prick, his s**t eating grin and Lego hair. Glad Yeo ran through that flog

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Pretty sure it was Ginbey, got him right on the inside of his shoulder. Just a couple of inches higher and it would have been his face.
Ole Danger must like picking on the 18 yr olds.

Probably knows in a years time Ginbey will be rag dolling him so just getting a couple of cheap ones in while he can.

Stengle and Stanley both out for a month (+/-). We were bullied in the second (Premiership midfield V U20 Midfield) - good to see a competative responce, not that injuries are wanted.

He's a bit like Jones was last year. Does good things when around it but not involved much. Its ok providing the others are getting the ball but we have about 8 guys that are struggling to have any significant influence atm.

Post #83 in this thread from daddy_4_eyes is very interesting. He was at the game and saw things those of us watching on TV don’t have a chance to see. His take on Petch and TB is illuminating.

From what I’ve seen, I reckon SPS is much improved and getting better every game. His inside work and tackling show his physicality is a world away from where it has been. Unlike some of our mid tier blokes, he shows a hell of a lot of promise. The only real question is where to play him…

Jones had a top ten finish in the Worsfold medal last year, can't see SPS doing that this year. Happy to be proven wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back