Autopsy Round 5, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

He literally got injured playing in the centre today...it's nothing to do with swagger, killer instinct or arrogance. It's to do with him getting his body right so he can move back into the middle. Which we didn't do and the result is he's potentially out again
He got injured taking out dirty Dangerfield

On CPH2375 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, I can't stand Dangerfield but there's nothing in it. The ball is right next to his face and it's in a contest where everyone is off balance and being shoved around. Just unlucky
Filthy prick but the idea anyone could line up an eye and deliberately jab it with a thumb in the heat of battle is ludicrous. Not so the stud up.

+ Waterman is AFL quality. I've said that for years, too good for the WAFL. If he wasn't undersized he'd have a mich bigger impact at AFL level.

+ Oscar developing nicely. Always nervous whenever he's bumped into or crunched though.

+ Fought it out after half time when we really couldve just rolled over and folded.

+ More exposure for Culley, Ginbey and Schlongg.

- Umpiring was atrocious at times. The oppo is 10 goals up and don't need any help to dismantle our team, but sure give them some softies.

- Dangerflogs accidental thumb to the eye (usually he does 2-3 of those a year) followed by his studs up to Ruebens chest/throat had me foaming at the mouth.

- Barrass was crap for the most part.

- Surprised we didn't get more from Bailey, been I'm good form and up against a couple meh rucks.

Positives:

JJ played well, lots of dash - I thought he was our best.
Oscar and Jake good games up forward.
Two and a half good quarters.
SPS continues to do something good with the footy nearly every time he gets it.
The youth: good signs from Gibney, Long and Culley.
Get to sit and watch another AFL game for no extra cost as a reward for driving 750 km to watch the Eagles play.

Negatives:

Barrass a poor game and little visible leadership.
Second quarter was manure.
I just can't see XON making it.
Apparently throws are legal now.
So sick of hearing that **** Cats theme song.
It was yesterday but Elijah Hewett getting injured was the lowlight of the weekend. Hope it's not too serious.

Yeah...in the midfield
Nah it wasn't in the centre bounces was closer to our back 50.

The act of been in a centre bounce did not injure Yeo .....

How hard is it after the 5th goal in a row to throw in a experienced big body player to help the kids settle ?

I mean he did end up doing it but that was after the 100th goal in a row.........

Filthy prick but the idea anyone could line up an eye and deliberately jab it with a thumb in the heat of battle is ludicrous. Not so the stud up.

Don’t be naive, mate. Plenty goes on out there. Think Juddy and the chicken wing episode, Barry Hall and Brent Staker, Chris Lewis and Todd Viney’s finger, Gaff v Brayshaw etc etc

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah it wasn't in the centre bounces was closer to our back 50.

The act of been in a centre bounce did not injure Yeo .....

How hard is it after the 5th goal in a row to throw in a experienced big body player to help the kids settle ?

I mean he did end up doing it but that was after the 100th goal in a row.........

It was straight after a Geelong centre clearance on the wing, and slightly in our defensive half of the ground but not by much.
It's about him not being fit enough to play midfield, he needs game time and fitness before we throw him in the middle more.

I'm on the Dangerfield did it deliberately to Ginbey view.

Ginbey barely a minute earlier had chased him down and dumped him out of a stoppage - he [Dangerfield] knew exactly what he was doing and has past form for doing similar acts in the opening stages of matches as a means of "asserting" himself over his opponents.

The studs up mark was more of the same. Nobody does that without intent.

Geelong, in particular their captain, singled out a rookie in their 5th match for special attention.

There are three disappointing things about that:
  • It's Dangerfield, and two dog acts that warrant suspension will be completely overlooked.
  • By allowing that, the competition effectively condones players to be sniped out if it aligns with their PR goals.
  • That it took 2.5 quarters for an Eagle (Yeo) to iron out Dangerfield, given his antics in the 1st quarter.

The latter for me, is most disappointing of all.

I'm convinced if someone were to have flatlined Dangerfield into next week during the first quarter, that all-too-easy precession of Geelong goals in second quarter does not occur. Geelong asked the question and the team stepped aside rather than step up.

Predictable result but admirable fightback. Undermanned team vs. premiers!
Long = Tenacious.
Can't be bothered going into all the pros+cons of the game, or coach+players, because there's going to be a whole lot more of it to come, until we finally get to the next level, with more top up players etc..
While it's almost a similar situation to last season with injuries and limited selection, we are definitely improving, or changing at least, sticking to the new game style and attacking play. Good signs, moving forward inch by inch.
Need to safeguard Ginbey longterm with resting etc.
All good, going to be a rollercoaster season with ins+outs..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives:

Second half fight was pleasing

Allen and Waterman were excellent in difficult circumstances

Thought Petch was actually quite good today, would love him to take the game on more and use his main attribute

Feels like Long does something good whenever he’s near it. Likewise SPS.

Kelly fought through the tough tag. Quiteish game offensively but 11 tackles shows the work rate was there.

Negatives:

Letting a team steamroll you for 11 goals in a row is shameful.

Back line a mess. Barrass down on form after he was arguably the best back man in the comp the second half of last year. Midfield went to water during that second period, was way too easy.

XON was bad. Hoped he turned the corner and would cement himself with more opportunity, hasn’t happened.

Yeo injured. Again. We can’t go a week without multiple players going down, and Yeo needs a consistent run at it. He’s arguably our best player, and we’ve barely seen him now for 2-3 years.

We’re a long way off finals. It’s going yo be a tough couple years. But we’ll be back - just see the Crows rebuild for an example of where I’d like us to be in 2-3 years.

The AFL i in the entertainment business- the round worked for them ' by engaging with happy customers. SA govt out bid Sydneys $14M (the will not disclose the SA bid) and it was a popular success locally for the govt. Thus lock it in. I actually think it's a good fit.

We were bullied and folded midfield particularly leaving our backs confused and social distancing. To come back from that and win the last two quarters is a great achievement. JJ gave great run when many were statues. Kids are adapting to the pace of the game but it will take time. Long is a super hard worker.

Leadership is lacking.

With a full list including Shuey and Nic we would have matched the cats easily - but that's dreaming. Yoe in the midfield alone was a massive lift.
A negative, no point asking players to do what they cannot, but at the moment our draftees look one paced - hopefully they will adapt to the AFL game and improve in this regard.

Just about every time Long is in a 1V1 contest he has a good chance to win it, or at leadt break even with his opponent. The early signs are looking good.
Hopefully Ginbey can physically hold up for the season. Nice to see him kick his first goal today.
Allen will comfortably lead the forward line from here onwards. Waterman had his good game for the month. They both benefit by having Darling guide them through the transition.

Xon and Pet(forgot how to spell last name) haven't progressed this season. Most mid and flanker types should be consistently solid players by year 5 and 6 on a list.

Our opening 5-10 mins and the second half
No further serious injuries for a change, assuming the Ginbey sub was precautionary

Still waiting for a season where we have an average (instead of much worse than average) run with injuries, let alone a good one

I don't think Dangerkent did the thumb poke intentionally..

I do however think he's developed a pattern of being a reckless campaigner in that situation and it's happened to him more than once. Should be sanctioned.

The studs up on the other hand is absolutely shameful. Anyone does that in ammos and they'll hear about It from everyone on field and off field. No need to do it at all. If you need to protect yourself do it with your knee. Legit no different from Toby at all, if those studs got Ruben in the mouth rather than throat he'd be bleeding.

Silence from the commentary was deafening.

duggans best game for the year. fitness looked good for the players we had. They played really well after half time even with the game lost. Keep playing the kids please. The older guys are ubfit & injury prone.

I don't think Dangerkent did the thumb poke intentionally..

I do however think he's developed a pattern of being a reckless campaigner in that situation and it's happened to him more than once. Should be sanctioned.

The studs up on the other hand is absolutely shameful. Anyone does that in ammos and they'll hear about It from everyone on field and off field. No need to do it at all. If you need to protect yourself do it with your knee. Legit no different from Toby at all, if those studs got Ruben in the mouth rather than throat he'd be bleeding.

Silence from the commentary was deafening.
Spot on.

How the studs up got crickets I’ll never know. Live is one thing but then on the replay it was as clear as day. He’d done one slightly earlier, not nearly as bad, and they went crazy praising him for protecting space - fair enough. But surely on the replay one of the commentary team (who I thought were pretty good today across the board) notices it’s studs up at head height. Night and day difference and no comment.

Thumb to the eye wasn’t deliberate, nobody is that good and if he was that accurate he might actually find a teammate once in a while. But as you say, when the clumsy ones continually follow someone around maybe they’re just a little a bit of a reckless campaigner.

The thing that worries me when i watch Simpson's presser is how he was talking about and the length of time he spent talking about and emphasising the injuries to the senior playing group (Natanui, Shuey, Yeo, McGovern etc). And it explains a few things. He was talking as though having all those players fit, on the park and firing at the same time is the normal equilibrium type state of affairs that you should expect. And the situation we have now where they are mostly injured and not playing is an extraordinary state of affairs and like 3 standard deviations away from the reality you would expect. Those guys are all over 30 and to say injury plagued would be an understatement. Not having them fit and playing is the new normal. Thats the world we are living in now. Them not playing, or playing injured, or playing but not fit because they were injured for so long is the new normal. The club needs to stop living in 2018 and adapt. This kind of explains for me why they don't seem to think that the list is in as bad a shape as most supporters think it is, why they thought we would make the 8 and why they are still giving these guys 2 year contracts. They think they are going to get another 5 years of AA level performance from this group and the injuries are just extreme bad luck and not because these players are old and banged up.

Those guys being permanently injured is why I'm confused why people think 2024 or 2025 will be the worst year of our rebuild when we're coming off a 2 win season played by WAFL players. We're still s**t this year and might even finish last, but we're on an upward trend in terms of percentage etc before we even take into account the injection of more top end talent at the end of this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back