Autopsy Round 5, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Really mixed feelings with today's game.

Really disappointed with the 2 soft goals we conceded at the end of the first. Triggered an absolute collapse in the second quarter that really exposed our continuing lack of on-field leadership. Some might say "yeah-nah NicNat and Shuey unavailable" but those guys have let us down many times before in the same situation.

I really hope we sort that out because Ginners, Culley, Longy etc look like the type to follow a leader into the breach but it's a big ask to expect them to be those on-field leaders already.

Second half Geelong eased off a bit but the boys took the game on and tried to use that advantage. I50 heading the right way. Forwards looking dangerous with supply. Promising

Defence really out of sorts again. Some good individual moments but the overall system looks off the pace and is a continuation of what we have seen. Need a lift in this area of the ground to improve.

Onto next week. Hopefully the injury list doesn't get longer.

Really mixed feelings with today's game.

Really disappointed with the 2 soft goals we conceded at the end of the first. Triggered an absolute collapse in the second quarter that really exposed our continuing lack of on-field leadership. Some might say "yeah-nah NicNat and Shuey unavailable" but those guys have let us down many times before in the same situation.

I really hope we sort that out because Ginners, Culley, Longy etc look like the type to follow a leader into the breach but it's a big ask to expect them to be those on-field leaders already.

Second half Geelong eased off a bit but the boys took the game on and tried to use that advantage. I50 heading the right way. Forwards looking dangerous with supply. Promising

Defence really out of sorts again. Some good individual moments but the overall system looks off the pace and is a continuation of what we have seen. Need a lift in this area of the ground to improve.

Onto next week. Hopefully the injury list doesn't get longer.
Mcginnity.jpg

Time is a flat circle

True Detective Smoking GIF

Kicked 13 goals which is a good sign ..

Geelong went through the paces were always winning the game .

WC are playing okay cannot match the top teams but competed well today just lacking a few ( maybe 5 or 6 ) players .

Pleased with the effort.

Thumb to the eye wasn’t deliberate, nobody is that good and if he was that accurate he might actually find a teammate once in a while. But as you say, when the clumsy ones continually follow someone around maybe they’re just a little a bit of a reckless campaigner.

Reckless indifference? Maybe, but I doubt it. Eye gouging is not uncommon in other codes. It’s a bit different to DE% and selfish play. Accuracy by finger is not quite the same as accuracy by foot – but he didn’t have any problem with the latter in the studs up act. Still, irrespective of what I or others think, he seems to have avoided any form of punishment.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

- Rotham, as a mate says “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane”. Mate stop ******* corralling and go hard. Very reluctant to put his body on the line.
Barass can’t kick,can’t mark a man.Have to be the Eagles most overrated footballer.
JKs. When you’ve got a kick and Hawkins is on the mark “run past him”
Coaching staff” boys when you charge into the forward line kick it to Ratugolea.You know; that giant standing on his own in defence.
Coaching staff at halftime “ oh s**t he’s playing for them”
Last quarter a long kick comes across field to long who’s caught behind. He leans into his man and bodies him forward.JD and OA to be made to sit and watch replay a 100 times.
Long to give tackling lessons to older bigger teammates.
Midfielders to be told to be on the move at bounce downs.
TK being marked to distraction.
A. Go and help him
B. TK could help himself by not standing still and wrestling. Either sacrifice your game and become a tackling machine or go stand Dangerfield.
Players charging forward and being seduced into a long glorious bomb to a OA one on one. If they just slowed or glanced sideways we often had a couple of loose guys at the top of the 5o_Only a 30-40 chip infield.If Ryan was watching he’d be tearing his hair out.
BW you need to go harder; Much harder,and stay on your feet.Also when you get the ball don’t just give it to the first thing that moves. You are lacking belief in your own ability.
Xon? Timid!
Petracelli? Mate you need to be on the move constantly. 10 tackles a game or off to the Magoos! Not up for debate.
Yo showed our mids how to attack the ball not stand still.
Hunts proving to be a bargain buy!
Hough certainly wasn’t our worst!
Not disgraced today!

I made the trip to SA for this game so have a bit of a different perspective than what I've been reading here.
Rather than a positives and negatives, I'll just write my thoughts on the game:

-Barrass appeared to be playing a zone defense, looking to intercept Geelong's forward forays. He'd be standing on Hawkins, but really wasn't manning him. Thought his performance was a product of how he was played rather than form.
-Petch was one of the sparks for our 3rd quarter revival. When he's involved, he's a damn good player. Just a shame that he's mia for 80% of the time.
-Yeo is incredible, plays with an intensity nobody else in the team does. A fit Yeo in the midfield would go a long way to us winning games.
-Culley is struggling in the midfield, feels like he lacks midfield nous and is getting out played by actual mids. Conversely, looks really comfortable at half forward.
-Allen is a real leader. Was barking orders and organizing everyone in the F50. I'd have him as our next captain.
-SPS and JJ were brilliant as per everyone else's comments.
-When we played direct footy, things worked. When we chipped backwards or played slow, that's when we gave up goals and made no forward progress.
-Dangerfield is a dirty dirty player. Heard someone in the crowd calling him "studs up" everytime he got the ball. Very appropriate.
-We need a develop a "stop the onslaught" circuit breaker, so we don't get blown away in the space of a quarter.

Who was it who had the running tally of "weeks for Waterman to kick his next 4 goals in total"?

He's never going to be a Coleman medallist or have Cameron like utter dominant games but he's quality and keeps doing the right things. Exactly what we need to have our existing fringe players show they can be solid B graders and influence games as we unearth the stars around them like Oscar.

After the Geelong ruck got a knee to the ribs last week, Chris Scott got all hyped up in the presser saying that the league sent a memo ruling it out.

Fast forward to this week, Danger kneed I think Yeo in the chest in the 1st, then eye gouged and kicked Ginbey.

I ******* hate that prick, his s**t eating grin and Lego hair. Glad Yeo ran through that flog

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Negative

• From the 22 minute mark of the first quarter to the 10 minute mark of the second quarter (less than 20 minutes of actual time) Geelong kicked 9.1 and held us scoreless. We went from a 1 goal lead to an 8 goal deficit and the game was over after what had been an encouraging start

We didn’t give a yelp and our leaders didn’t stand up. Geelong are good but they’re not THAT good. Simpson needs to look at how to halt momentum when it shifts against us

Positives

• Last year the white flag would’ve been flown on the way to a 100 point drubbing and whilst Geelong dropped back a gear we still found a way to fight out the match
• Waterman had arguably his best game for the club, bettering his effort against GWS. Kicked another bag of 4 against a tougher opponent in tougher circumstances. Has had a really encouraging start to the year
• Yeo showed what we’ve been missing when he moved into the midfield but has pulled up sore so might be a while before we see it again
• Ginbey got his first goal and another valuable lesson in how to play midfield. Doesn’t drop his head even when things weren’t going his way
• SPS was quiet early, like many others, but showed his value after half time as he came into the game
• Kelly struggled with a tag but still tried with a game high 11 tackles and helped drive our rearguard action in the second half
• Allen had another strong game and a season high 4 goals. Sits =3rd in the Coleman race with 14 goals. Not bad for a guy who’s still finding his feet after a year out of the game
• Can we get the third quarter Petruccelle for a whole game please
• Jones is very important to our game style off half back and was one of the few to fighting the good fight when Geelong were on top
• Thought Rotham played pretty well on Cameron when he was on him
• Clark showed a bit more today.
• Culley fought it out, should have kicked that goal after a good mark. Another good lesson
• Long is a jet. Such a smart footballer and does things an auskicker shouldn’t be doing at this level.

Overall, we need to maintain our best for longer (we actually look quite exciting at times when things work) and don’t suck as bad when momentum turns against us. And at least there’s some spirit there we as supporters can get behind

- Rotham, as a mate says “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane”. Mate stop ******* corralling and go hard. Very reluctant to put his body on the line.
Barass can’t kick,can’t mark a man.Have to be the Eagles most overrated footballer.
JKs. When you’ve got a kick and Hawkins is on the mark “run past him”
Coaching staff” boys when you charge into the forward line kick it to Ratugolea.You know; that giant standing on his own in defence.
Coaching staff at halftime “ oh s**t he’s playing for them”
Last quarter a long kick comes across field to long who’s caught behind. He leans into his man and bodies him forward.JD and OA to be made to sit and watch replay a 100 times.
Long to give tackling lessons to older bigger teammates.
Midfielders to be told to be on the move at bounce downs.
TK being marked to distraction.
A. Go and help him
B. TK could help himself by not standing still and wrestling. Either sacrifice your game and become a tackling machine or go stand Dangerfield.
Players charging forward and being seduced into a long glorious bomb to a OA one on one. If they just slowed or glanced sideways we often had a couple of loose guys at the top of the 5o_Only a 30-40 chip infield.If Ryan was watching he’d be tearing his hair out.
BW you need to go harder; Much harder,and stay on your feet.Also when you get the ball don’t just give it to the first thing that moves. You are lacking belief in your own ability.
Xon? Timid!
Petracelli? Mate you need to be on the move constantly. 10 tackles a game or off to the Magoos! Not up for debate.
Yo showed our mids how to attack the ball not stand still.
Hunts proving to be a bargain buy!
Hough certainly wasn’t our worst!
Not disgraced today!
I didn't read anything in that post I disagreed with until the Hunt section. You pick a runner like him up when you're in the window. You're spot on otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives -

Mark Ricciuto said we’d be spending 4 or 5 years at the bottom of the ladder. After I heard that, I thought "you beauty", we’re facing off in the 2024 grand final.​
The young blokes.​
Where we would be if the footy gods weren't all Victorian.​

Negatives -

Geelong winning.​

Being unable to decide whether Ricciuto or Underwood rate as the most cringeworthy commentator on tv.​

Positives -

Mark Ricciuto said we’d be spending 4 or 5 years at the bottom of the ladder. After I heard that, I thought "you beauty", we’re facing off in the 2024 grand final.​
The young blokes.​
Where we would be if the footy gods weren't all Victorian.​

Negatives -

Geelong winning.​

Being unable to decide whether Ricciuto or Underwood rate as the most cringeworthy commentator on tv.​
The worst thing with Ricciuto's comments is that he doesn't seem to understand how the Crows rebuilt (given he is a director of the club). What he was proposing was the equivalent of having sold off Sloane and Tex Walker for peanuts, yet you can clearly see that those experienced heads are the ones rounding out the young guys now that they're back up and about. They had plenty of good draft selections just by being crap for a few years (and didn't even nail that many of them).

Surprised by the love for Petrevski-Seton, I thought he was predictably ordinary and so did Peter Sumich in The West today (3 out of 10). Mind you he was better than O'Niell.

Surprised by the love for Petrevski-Seton, I thought he was predictably ordinary and so did Peter Sumich in The West today (3 out of 10). Mind you he was better than O'Niell.
Thought he was a bit quiet, but he’s not doing much wrong. Couple of clearances, 16 pressure acts, tackled well, 6 score involvements, a goal himself. Just needs to find more of it, and in our forward half. Half of his disposals came from the back half yesterday.

Why predictably? He's having a good year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back