Autopsy Round 5 vs St Kilda, Marvel Stadium, Saturday 16th April, 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Like most thought we had a crack but in the end simply not good enough.
For 2 1/2 quarters played some excellent running football, but from half way through the third quarter the Saints
dominance around the packs took its toll.
Too many players had ordinary games.
We cant beat the better sides without all players having some influence during the game.
PROS
Collins great game on King -without him much bigger loss.
Miller terrific as always.
Farrer and Rosa showed enough to suggest they can become permanent senior players.
Ellis best game for the year.
Pressure was good early but couldnt sustain it.

CONS
So many poor disposals by hand and foot -Weller Powell Swallow Fiorini Anderson Lemmens chief culprits.
Frustrating is the number of times our players go to ground Powell and Weller worst offenders. Good players dont fall over.
Rankin unsighted - give him some time upfield or omit.
Chol needs to lift his fitness and endurance to become a consistent AFL player (has the ability)
Swallow is in hole not sure he can get out of .(real shame)

Going forward obviously our midfield needs help.
We have no big body replacements so only hope is to rotate more players through to give Anderson and Rowell some cop out.
Looking at reserves players who will come under serious consideration
Budarick Hollands Sharp Burgess Flanders plus Lukosius
Senior players under pressure
Swallow Rankin Davies Corbett Holman Fiorini Atkins .

On a side note our Chairman needs to worry about our problems not the AFLs.

Is Marshall the next big thing? Or is it Draper? Or O'Brien? Or Darcy? Or Jackson? Or Preuss? Every man and his dog is the next big thing at one point, but Witts (29) with considerable height, weight, and experience advantage, OUR CAPTAIN, was nullified to a draw in the hit outs. We needed st kildas mids to be trying to shark Witts' taps, completely on the back foot, but instead they enjoyed their own supply of hit outs and were allowed to be much more offensively at the contest. And then around the ground, Marshall litterally had double the output. Was just a dog day, but he needed to clearly win his position for us to win the game and I think he was nullified.

Witts wasn't the problem, the problem was the midfield being reactive at stoppages and letting St Kilda get first hands on ball.
We played too defensively in the middle I thought.
Agree I don’t think it was Witts either, Mids seem to be standing in the wrong spot flat-footed as to where the chop out players. I don’t know how many times I saw someone receive the ball that was standing there not on the move only to get caught it seems disorganised or lazy perhaps a bit of both.

I just don’t think that Dew knows how to coach, I’ve seen nothing to support that he does. Structure ( as stated above) and the incessant bombing to the top of the square are examples and in game adjustments are almost unheard of. player development is also well behind where they need to be. Rowell being used as a bull at 20 years of age when he is simply not strong enough will be doing him more damage ( both physically and mentally) than good and this was totally avoidable by not being an idiot with Greenwood.

By the way I’m happy to debate the Dew coaching credentials if someone is happy to show how he has made significant or even mediocre gains with a group top 10 draft picks

Agree I don’t think it was Witts either, Mids seem to be standing in the wrong spot flat-footed as to where the chop out players. I don’t know how many times I saw someone receive the ball that was standing there not on the move only to get caught it seems disorganised or lazy perhaps a bit of both.

I just don’t think that Dew knows how to coach, I’ve seen nothing to support that he does. Structure ( as stated above) and the incessant bombing to the top of the square are examples and in game adjustments are almost unheard of. player development is also well behind where they need to be. Rowell being used as a bull at 20 years of age when he is simply not strong enough will be doing him more damage ( both physically and mentally) than good and this was totally avoidable by not being an idiot with Greenwood.

By the way I’m happy to debate the Dew coaching credentials if someone is happy to show how he has made significant or even mediocre gains with a group top 10 draft picks
Some of the list decisions has killed us, basically we have given away Lyons, Brodie , Martin, Greenwood and Wright for nothing, this needs to be on the listmanager not just Dew , same with the draft picks , apart from Rowell and Anderson they should have been bundled together to get at least a mid of Brad Crouchs level .

Farrar and Rosas both appear to be elite talents.

Hopefully they are both able to maximise those talents, as Farrar could be an AA calibre player in the right environment.

Thoughts from yesterday...

We lost a very winnable game.

The trio of Markov, Farrar and Weller must stay, for the run and gun they create, for the rest of the season

Corbett, despite the clamour for his inclusion, is not, and will never be a genuine AFL standard KPP

Chol needs to decide if he really, really wants to play AFL.

He could be a star, but he is unfit resulting in a soft tissue injury, and the epitome of a downhill skier.

He's another player who could have an elite career but is content with well paid mediocrity.

Rowell stuck to his task well, but I'd like to see a more offensive role

Andersons disposal continues to be terrible. It's all very well going 'oh ,he got 35 touches last week' - yeah he did - at 35% disposal efficiency.

We need an onfield leader - a Hodge, a Steele, a Selwood.

Very disappointing in so many ways.

I've been off Swallow for years now, he still plays with desperation, there were a couple of contests when he was out numbered 2 on 1 that he just refused to lose,
Which is why we have to keep him
There's been many posts regarding players who bleed for the Club
We know Dave does and he needs to be there to embarrass the players who don't
For me his positives still outweigh the mounting negatives

I agree Iva that we never seem to be able to supercharge careers
Push obvious talent over the speed limit
I'd generally fall back on the "it's hard with a poor team"- and yes it is, but no-one could have been worse than Melbourne 4 or 5 years ago

Farrar and Rosas both appear to be elite talents.

Hopefully they are both able to maximise those talents, as Farrar could be an AA calibre

The trio of Markov, Farrar and Weller must stay, for the run and gun they create, for the rest of the season

Corbett, despite the clamour for his inclusion, is not, and will never be a genuine AFL standard KPP

He could be a star, but he is unfit resulting in a soft tissue injury, and the epitome of a downhill skier.

He's another player who could have an elite career but is content with well paid mediocrity.

Andersons disposal continues to be terrible. It's all very well going 'oh ,he got 35 touches last week' - yeah he did - at 35% disposal efficiency.

Very

Very disappointing in so many ways.
The other thing is watching Rachele they need to pick a player ready to go with the first round draft pick to improve the team. Andrew could be a player but it's a slow burn, Hollands was injured last year but needs to come into the team now, based on draft position he is a better player than Davies

I agree Iva that we never seem to be able to supercharge careers
Push obvious talent over the speed limit
I'd generally fall back on the "it's hard with a poor team"- and yes it is, but no-one could have been worse than Melbourne 4 or 5 years ago
Gawn was actually just yesterday saying that only when their core played together 100+ games in clicked for them. I would add plus great draft, trades recently. What a joy to watch Demons now. 3 years ago people called them basket case. Rebuild from 2013 I believe.

Interestingly, nobody talks about our midfield coach but rather criticize Dew after loss. Steven King is one of the most respected and experienced coaches and he's in charge of midfield. I think they will work it out.

When you look at our list we’ve got, in terms of best 26 players

Ellis 215 (most not with us)
Swallow 180
Casboult 160 (most not with us)
Miller 140
Weller 120
Witts 120

Ainsworth 75
Bowes 75
Ballard 75

Collins 65
Fiorini 65
Powell 65
lukosius 65
Holman 65
Macpherson 65

King 50
Anderson 40
Markov 40
Rankine 35
Corbett 35
Chol 35
Rowell 20
Flanders 20
Budarick 15
Farrar 15
Davies 5
Hollands 0

We’re not going to be a finals team until

Ainsworth - holman group are at 100 games
king - chol group are at 75+ games.
Rowell - hollands group are at 50+ games.

That’s the start of 2024.
You find one or two additional select mature players - don’t have to be stars - ie. Stephen may, Jake lever, Zach Toohey, Charlie cameron, Adam saad, Hayden crozier, Douglas Howard, Alex keath etc.. over the next few years and that’s how you become a top 4 contender.

Atkins is the kind of guy, played 115 games, in theory was beat 22 - just happened to be an F grade version.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rankines biggest problem is that he is always looking for that cheapie out the back and some week it never comes
Other teams seem to get them on us all the time though… Feel like we should be able to get more of these, but our kicks are too deep and too high.
Was disappointed with how many times Markov turned over the ball coming outside of the defensive 50. I can see now why he was left out of the side.
Yeah, I noticed this too. Feel like he needs that handball receive at times. Reminds me of Saad in his first few seasons. A bit more experience and hopefully he tidies that up.

I also wish sometimes we could isolate a bit more forward of 50, so we can long kick to a one-on-one into space. Leggy or Weller would be great for that.

When you look at our list we’ve got, in terms of best 26 players

Ellis 215 (most not with us)
Swallow 180
Casboult 160 (most not with us)
Miller 140
Weller 120
Witts 120

Ainsworth 75
Bowes 75
Ballard 75

Collins 65
Fiorini 65
Powell 65
lukosius 65
Holman 65
Macpherson 65

King 50
Anderson 40
Markov 40
Rankine 35
Corbett 35
Chol 35
Rowell 20
Flanders 20
Budarick 15
Farrar 15
Davies 5
Hollands 0

We’re not going to be a finals team until

Ainsworth - holman group are at 100 games
king - chol group are at 75+ games.
Rowell - hollands group are at 50+ games.

That’s the start of 2024.
You find one or two additional select mature players - don’t have to be stars - ie. Stephen may, Jake lever, Zach Toohey, Charlie cameron, Adam saad, Hayden crozier, Douglas Howard, Alex keath etc.. over the next few years and that’s how you become a top 4 contender.

Atkins is the kind of guy, played 115 games, in theory was beat 22 - just happened to be an F grade version.
We're still light on for superstars which I guess is what we hoped for with Buzz when he burst on the scene and our team is really a patchwork quilt of B and C graders
We're not going to progress much as a team unless Rowell Anderson King and Miller go next level
As mentioned quite often it would help if we had a Daniher Neale and Cameron just land in our laps
It will be interesting to see what happens to Dew at season end because I see mid table as our very best outcome really 4 rounds in
The Board might give him another 2 years based on perceived progress and the maturing of our players into 100 gamers over the next 2 seasons -especially if there isn't a Clarkson waiting in the wings
The disappointments are really Swallow Weller Ainsworth and Bowes(when fit)
All very solid but up and down on a weekly basis

Is there anything to be read into Touk having zero tackles two weeks running?
Not sure about Touk specifically, but weird how the whole team been so down compared with previous years.

Last year 6th for tackles, this year 16th.
Obviously is game style related.

I think Rowell has clearly been given a more defensive role at stoppages. The team probably just learning the balance. He still had 19 pressure acts each of the last 2 weeks which was in the top handful

We're still light on for superstars which I guess is what we hoped for with Buzz when he burst on the scene and our team is really a patchwork quilt of B and C graders
We're not going to progress much as a team unless Rowell Anderson King and Miller go next level
As mentioned quite often it would help if we had a Daniher Neale and Cameron just land in our laps
It will be interesting to see what happens to Dew at season end because I see mid table as our very best outcome really 4 rounds in
The Board might give him another 2 years based on perceived progress and the maturing of our players into 100 gamers over the next 2 seasons -especially if there isn't a Clarkson waiting in the wings
The disappointments are really Swallow Weller Ainsworth and Bowes(when fit)
All very solid but up and down on a weekly basis
i think Miller as all australian
King kicking 55+
One of rowell or Anderson developing into AA calibre mids
Lukosius becoming a forward half playmaker - kicking 35+ and setting a heap of goals up is a pretty good platform.

Ainsworth getting more consistent. His goal kicking routine has definitely changed, runs in straighter and hitting them much better this year.
If you can bank 16 touches, 5 marks, 1-2 goals a week from a small / mid forward you take that.

Weller, has had a couple of different roles, but I think can settle into his current rebounding role and be a consistent player there for us. With the instructions to go through the corridor, he is going to turn a few over on occasion so it's not always going to go right.
Bowes is a bit of an unknown in what capacity he'll come back
Swallow gives his all but don't think he contributes to winning at this point.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 5.27.16 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 5.27.16 am.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Bowes straight to our midfield rotations when he is eventually back. Touk desparately needs his support.

I’m positive Bowes will become an elite goal kicking mid over the next couple of seasons.
At the very least he has always been a strong contested type and Rowell is currently the only real first possession type mid we have. Gives our midfield some more balance if Touk and Noah become more receivers then ball winners.

Bowes straight to our midfield rotations when he is eventually back. Touk desparately needs his support.

I’m positive Bowes will become an elite goal kicking mid over the next couple of seasons.
I'm looking forward to see how he goes.
I've almost forgotten how he plays up around the middle.

Same.

Not overly powerful, and not exactly blessed with pace, but Bowes‘ ability to create time and space is second to none and I back him to choose the right option more often than not and use it well (something we really need more of through the middle). Makes the midfield much more balanced IMO, with Rowell and Touk in tight feeding It out and Bowes the first or second handball receiver.

Ideally similar to Noah but with much better ball use.

I imagine he will take Davies’ spot but with a lot more CBAs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back