Review Round 7, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Neale, Ashcroft, Dunkley, McCarthy and Payne got my votes. Rich and Zorko good before going off.

Ashcroft is freakishly good. Wilmot has also developed nicely. Two long term Lions players right there.

Fremantle are really bad. We played some poor footy at stages today but Freo didn’t get close to us. Solid win with room for improvement.

Scrappy game but a good win in the end. Did what we had to do. Could have voted for a lot of different players.

Zorko and rich set the game up early (could be big losses). Neale and Ashcroft were excellent. Linc put in a great effort and got some rewards. McKenna gives great run. Dunkley and Bailey tough to leave out. And Andrews and Payne were pretty good. Lester was solid

A couple of really special moments in a game that was overall not very interesting.

Wish our players could learn to absorb the tackle, keep hands free and release the handball. We struggle to do it and the opposition seem to do it to us quite frequently.

Did what we had to do, happy with win. Thought Neale had his best performance of the season so far.

Some players have really worked into the season well. Still not firing at 100% but I'm liking Starc recently, Kiddy looking much better, there was one or 2 pretty bad misses but McCluggage is still improving, and Bailey was a force today.

Special mention to Hippy putting in some good pressure in the last 5 mins, sprinting for a run down tackle. (nothing beats McKenna and his run down pressure which affected the kick, great gut running)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re still only just going but I’m hopeful like the rest of us we flick that switch after the bye and really pick our form up in the back end of the year. Still you’d take a 5-2 start given we seem to have a lot left in us.

Ashcroft is a bloody gun already. The forward pressure has been much better the past month. Zorko was good particularly early but those injuries he and Rich suffered aren’t ideal at their age so hopefully they’re not to bad.

Bank the points and move on again.

I wonder if Zorko's injury has anything to do with pushing him into the midfield more. Rather than messing around with the backline maybe they should have been rotating Rich and Zorko or at least lessening their load a bit.

*not a medical expert so just speculation on my part.

I wonder if Zorko's injury has anything to do with pushing him into the midfield more. Rather than messing around with the backline maybe they should have been rotating Rich and Zorko or at least lessening their load a bit.

*not a medical expert so just speculation on my part.
Definitely.

Too much workload for him today . He got belted a couple of times as well.

Freo look cooked already. It's a big dropoff from last year.
We played well but there is still a lot of improvement in this team. Seems strange to say when we scored 115 points.
Lester played well and certainly improved on his recent VFL form. Be interesting to see if he stays in the team.

Nathan Barley has voted for Lester, so it’s time for more of you to pile on! I think I might have voted for him too. I can’t recall.

Never had to get out of second gear and still won with a leg in the air.

That was a really poor game of football played in perfect conditions, punctuated by a handful of highlights: Will’s goal; Chuck’s goal, Dunks’ specky (which happened RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME); and, best of all, Eric’s updated choice of goal song.

Lachie wondrous, cameos from everyone else. Thought Starce started showing signs he’s emerging from his funk. Not sure Gunston’s smarts outweigh his declining athleticism.

Hope we get the tackle bags out this week.

Last edited:
The calf is the dreaded old man's injury, hope we don't try and rush Dan back, both he and Zorko were really good today, but we have never been in a better position to cover their loss, hoping to see Prior and Dev get games but Lyons could also.

Loved what McKenna is bringing, he is miles better than what i expected. Sorry Dlanod may have got carried away in the game day thread suggesting he's already better then Hanley, but have been watching AFL for 45 years and really like him.

Thought Oscar had his best game for the season too against 2 quality opponents. Hope Carlton have a bruising win tomorrow, so they aren't especially desperate next week, but fancy our chances regardless.

Have a great weekend Lions fans!

Back