10 Jason Horne-Francis (PORT)
6 Rowan Marshall (STK)
6 Travis Boak (PORT)
4 Zak Butters (PORT)
2 Sam Powell-Pepper (PORT)
1 Jack Sinclair (STK)
1 Mitch Owens (STK)
I don't think I was.

Just coz were winning doesn't mean the coaches get everything 100% right, which they would also say. I don't rhinknwe would have lost any of the games if we had Campbell Coops even Heath probably in place of Cordy. Maybe bar the bull dogs game when he played half decent
Thank you. I hate the “we won so evertything worked” mindset.

Wins Papering over the cracks is such a amateur team mentality. I’d hope a serious professional coach is smart enough to be on the analytics and actual analysis enough to make changes even in a winning side when they know it will improve.

“We won but it was only a margin of 2 goals when we ****ed up enough chances to win by 12 goals”

Ross said in one of the pressers about cordy

What he is doing is whats being asked of him and was sacraficing his own game

I for one dont see it because im not at the ground
But its seen by 4 coaches

Just posted on another thread

I thought fmd thats a giant guitar art thingy

Then realized its the bloody wood fire...and i have my glasses on, sort it out old man for christ sake lol

Yes, we'll need to go 'Ross The Boss' over 'Popped The Dodgy Eyed Fella from SA' on the Cordy issue methinks :think:

just becuase it work for the first 5 games, doesn't mean that selection integrity is now there.. if there was selection integrity, Cordy should have been replaced by either Sharman or Cambell. Especially with only a 5 day break. what will it show then?
We may not rate Cordy, but he’s obviously doing what Ross wants, so that IS selection integrity.
Hard for us to tell from the outside.

Marshall has never been a consistent foward though.

At this point we aren't asking marshall to be a gun forward.

All he'd need to do is give us more than cordy.... which is a VERY low bar for him to clear.

I think it's a great opportunity this week to throw some magnets around and get a look at how a different setup looks.

Reward campbell for his good vfl form.
We are literally 1 marshall injury away from him being our sole ruckman- giving him more AFL experience now could well help him bigtime if he's needed in september.

Also it would require less running for marshall playing forward you would expect.

Keeping cordy in comes at an opportunity cost- lost chance for campbell to boost his experience and confidence.
Also lost chance for marshall to get a lighter running load

At this point we aren't asking marshall to be a gun forward.

All he'd need to do is give us more than cordy.... which is a VERY low bar for him to clear.

I think it's a great opportunity this week to throw some magnets around and get a look at how a different setup looks.

Reward campbell for his good vfl form.
We are literally 1 marshall injury away from him being our sole ruckman- giving him more AFL experience now could well help him bigtime if he's needed in september.

Also it would require less running for marshall playing forward you would expect.

Keeping cordy in comes at an opportunity cost- lost chance for campbell to boost his experience and confidence.
Also lost chance for marshall to get a lighter running load
Campbell for Cordy isn’t an upgrade. Any gain we get with Cordy out is negated by Marshall not being in the ruck. Despite being subbed out multiple times Cordy is averaging more goals per game than Marshall ever has, he just needs to battle on until King or Caminiti come back.

Campbell for Cordy isn’t an upgrade. Any gain we get with Cordy out is negated by Marshall not being in the ruck. Despite being subbed out multiple times Cordy is averaging more goals per game than Marshall ever has, he just needs to battle on until King or Caminiti come back.
One more week in the case of Caminiti…and who knows with Max.
This week? I wouldn’t be too surprised.

Marshall's never played as a forward under a coach who knows what he's doing.

Worth another look- he's got all the attributes to be a decent forward.
Perhaps he will be better at it when we actually have a system of play, instead of ratts' "everyone run around like headless chooks... then bomb it on the heads of the outnumbered tall guys" gameplan.

Especially against the roos (ie who cares if it doesn't work and he goes goalless) and while caminiti is still out.

Last edited:
Marshall has never been given a decent opportunity forward. I don't think Cordys goals per game is the right stat to look at, he kicked 3 in the first 2 rounds and 3 since and quite a few have been cheapies. If you look at it from a needs point of view for the forward line, its contested marking. Cordy is our tallest player in there and has not recorded 1 solitary stat in that category. Marshall is a strong mark on the other hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall has never been given a decent opportunity forward. I don't think Cordys goals per game is the right stat to look at, he kicked 3 in the first 2 rounds and 3 since and quite a few have been cheapies. If you look at it from a needs point of view for the forward line, its contested marking. Cordy is our tallest player in there and has not recorded 1 solitary stat in that category. Marshall is a strong mark on the other hand.
I think three years with Paddy in the team and Marshall playing a lot of forward is a good enough sample size to see that it’s not his best position. To spend so much time forward and never average even a goal a game is probably all we need to know.

Joffaboy

I sing the praises of RTB for introducing the verb/noun “audit” into football lexicology.

RTB releasing his inner accountant.

Just goes to show how asinine football commentary has actually become.
With a football audit you can at least work out who your contingent liabilities are

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think three years with Paddy in the team and Marshall playing a lot of forward is a good enough sample size to see that it’s not his best position. To spend so much time forward and never average even a goal a game is probably all we need to know.
3years together is too broad.

Matches played in the same team. (even this could be too broad without considering tog%, how mids played, in game injuries etc)
2020 - 13 games
2021 - 7 games
2022 - 11 games

Regarding forward craft, I go back to this:

Jack Hayes: 1 career 3 goal game
Tom Campbell: 1 career 3 goal game (actually 4 goals)
Rowan Marshall: 0 career 3 goal games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back