Preview Round 7: Essendon vs Collingwood, MCG, Anzac Day, 25/04/24 @ 3:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be content with wright for draper as the only change. how do we eventually fit Setterfield, Perkins & Shiel?
It’s this thing called depth, having quality players in the 2s is something we haven’t had in 30 years so I get you’re unfamiliar. You are assuming a level of health we haven’t had in just as long too so it’ll be a good problem to have if it ever happens

I’m hesitant to drop Draper, especially against a dual ruck set up in Collingwood. He and Goldy have paired up beautifully so far this season. I’d be tempted to let Wright earn his spot back in the twos unless Goldy/Draper needed a rest.

This got a whole lot harder. Doubt we win. Collingwood have returned to premiership form in a big way today.
We'll test them. I dunno if we win, if we struggle to score like we did last night we won't.
But Port went to water today, Pies are still a way off their best from last year, watching them you feel like they're still playing with a subconscious sense of satisfaction from winning the flag.

We'll test them. I dunno if we win, if we struggle to score like we did last night we won't.
But Port went to water today, Pies are still a way off their best from last year, watching them you feel like they're still playing with a subconscious sense of satisfaction from winning the flag.
And we went to water against Port so we definitely have it in us. So Collingwood to go to water against us to complete the trifecta?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think you can take much from our singular matches, Anzac Day is usually it's own unique affair.

The key factors we have to focus on is our own ability to let teams get a run on and pile goals. Stop that and we're a chance.

Would settle for us being competitive at least regardless of the end result.

Draper first bounce. Afterwards direct interchange with Goldstein from first landing to last post. Hind out for Wright. Kick goals. Win. Draper’s value is energizing the centre square.

Out - draper
In - wright

If it wasn’t Anzac Day I’d drop laverde aswell and play Hayes.

It is precisely because of that I'm playing Hayes.

Out - Draper, Laverde

In - Wright, Hayes.

Not only was Laverde being beaten a bit, but it was the Draper -> Laverde brain fades that got Adelaide started with their run of goals. At this point, Draper can't run out a game as well as Goldy, Draper also needs to get a rocket to let him know that being brilliant is great, but concentrating for the whole game and not doing silly things is more important.

Tsatas is to be the sub again. Davey still looks like he runs around the ball to avoid contact, so doesn't win balls that he would if he bee-lined it, but his chase-down speed is important, as is Hind's. However, this time he needs to come on earlier to give us one player who does not need a rotation in the last 40 min.

There was something weird about the game last night. Our pressure was great, but there was a fumblyness with the ball. So much so that I think there could have been a problem with the conditions.

That Collingwood we've seen in their first 5 games...

Happy Shaquille O Neal GIF by Papa Johns

... that Collingwood after quarter time today ...

Joe Bastianich Ops GIF by Italia's Got Talent

Their pace all over the ground, it won't be dewy so we can't rely upon fumbles to slow down the opposition and then allow us to keep high pressure on, Mitchell and co will beat us for contested ball, so we don't get it forward then set up the high zone.

They have a multipronged offence based on small men moving in all directions, which will be easy for their mids to hit up as they waltz through our high zone. Martin will be forced to defend, Heppell will be caught out for leg speed, and McKay's intercepting marking will be rendered useless.

I'm willing to change my mind on Laverde though. If fit he's a good match-up for Mihocheck.

I think it will be a tough day at the office if we don't win big in the middle. I'm hoping for a big effing effort from the boys, even if that Collingwood shows up and gives us a lesson for large parts of the game.

Undroppable draper, don’t know why, don’t know how , he just is.

because he is heart and soul player and he's clearly going to get better. However, I agree that there were a few dumb mistakes that he made this week that means he needs some time to think about it. Also, if we're going with one ruck, which one is the most likely to be able to run out the game? You'd have to think it is Goldy, both on history and as a result of the last preseason.

I don't know if we could do it with the rucks in the VFL, but it would be great if we could get Draper to play a couple of weeks trucking 80%+ of the game.

The game style has been good for most of the last 2 weeks.

The Pies won't really test us inside the way that the Dogs and Adelaide did. It will be really interesting to see how we adapt because the Pies will be hunting us and we'll be trying to hunt them inside. It has the hallmarks of a Ess v Sydney shoot out.

The key will be trying to take the heat out of the game as I don't think we can beat the Pies with the ball bouncing from one end to the other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back