Preview Round 7: Essendon vs Collingwood, MCG, Anzac Day, 25/04/24 @ 3:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see Hayes in for Laverde and Wright in with Draper rested. I'd be looking to rest both Draper and Goldstein (alternating) over the next 2 weeks personally (with our next game being in WA). Since we happen to have all our taller forwards fit right now might as well take advantage of that and look after our rucks - Goldstein is old and Draper has missed a lot of footy and had a delayed preseason so I reckon a week off for each could be very beneficial for them as the season goes on.

I'm guessing they probably will bring Shiel in for someone if his fitness is up to par. Suspect he plays more forward than midfield though.

Jake Stringer's 30th Bday.
He's going to kick 5
HBD Jake!

I think Draper out for Wright in is the only change that'll happen.

We need to eventually fit Perkins, Setters, Ridley and Reid back into this 23 which is a nice problem to have. Easy outs on existing 2024 form are Hind, Kelly and Laverde, but not sure who the fourth out is (Hepp been comfortably in our best dozen or so in a few games this year). Tsatas and Davey need to string together genuine AFL-level performances or one of them probably makes way to fit the above 4 in.

Shiel ought be nowhere near it unless and until he starts tearing the VFL opposition a new one each week.

Hard to ignore the 20 disposals Shiel had in the 1st half of the VFL - he must come in for mine - perfect choice for SUB. Starting to think Scott may make an example of Draper and put him on ice for this game - especially with 2MP coming back in - so for me it will be;-

OUT: Draper, Hind
IN: 2MP, Shiel

Team;-

Kelly McKay McGrath
Redman Lav Martin
Cox Caldwell Duursma
Gresham Stringer Parish
2MP Langford ADavey

Goldy Durham Merrett

Bench: Tsatas Hobbs Heppell Jones
SUB: Shiel

Felt a hell of a lot more confident yesterday morning than I do now. They obliterated Port, and Port obliterated us.

Need to bring that huge pressure we've trademarked and we can hopefully swing a result.

I think Draper out for Wright in is the only change that'll happen.

We need to eventually fit Perkins, Setters, Ridley and Reid back into this 23 which is a nice problem to have. Easy outs on existing 2024 form are Hind, Kelly and Laverde, but not sure who the fourth out is (Hepp been comfortably in our best dozen or so in a few games this year). Tsatas and Davey need to string together genuine AFL-level performances or one of them probably makes way to fit the above 4 in.

Shiel ought be nowhere near it unless and until he starts tearing the VFL opposition a new one each week.
Kelly's been good.

because he is heart and soul player and he's clearly going to get better. However, I agree that there were a few dumb mistakes that he made this week that means he needs some time to think about it. Also, if we're going with one ruck, which one is the most likely to be able to run out the game? You'd have to think it is Goldy, both on history and as a result of the last preseason.

I don't know if we could do it with the rucks in the VFL, but it would be great if we could get Draper to play a couple of weeks trucking 80%+ of the game.
Is it clear he will get better and better ? This year he is worse. He has shown zero improvement in his footy IQ. He gives away dumb free kicks and if you watch him against the good ruck men around the ground he is a half a second behind what they are thinking. He has a crack and does have X factor every now and then but he is still an average ruck who has not progressed a lot .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

forecast for rain, but i dont think it’ll be the stuff they had in brisbane last night.

what’s lewis hayes, speed like? collingwood don’t really have any tall forwards sans a resting ruckman, would it be wise to bring him in place of laverde? thinking about the bobby hill match up

In- Wright, Shiel, Hayes(Debut)
Out- Laverde, Hind, Draper(Rest)

B- Hayes McKay McGrath
HB- Redman Cox Martin
C- Durham Parish Duursma
HF- Stringer Jones Gresham
F- Langford Wright A.Davey
FOLL- Goldstein Caldwell Merrett
I/C- Hobbs, Heppell, Goldstein, Tsatsas
Sub- Shiel

forecast for rain, but i dont think it’ll be the stuff they had in brisbane last night.

what’s lewis hayes, speed like? collingwood don’t really have any tall forwards sans a resting ruckman, would it be wise to bring him in place of laverde? thinking about the bobby hill match up
Bobby Hill looms as a massive danger. Maybe start McGrath then switch to Kelly later. Hind could be an option if he stays in the side.

Watching yeasterday, Port really dropped their bundle after quarter time. Amazingly, Butters was off the ground for ages and they never went with JHF, Rozee & Butters in the middle at once. Nobody within 15m of Daicos either. Port had chances to come back but was snuffed out by a selfish Rioli who should have handballed for a certain goal.

Degoey, Daicos, WHE and Hill got Pies moving. Degoey is their barometer IMO. Port didn't respect Cox either, who had one of his better games.

TBH, I am glad the Pies smashed Port in the way they did as it gives our match comittee clear evidence of their strenghts and to plan for their best.

because he is heart and soul player and he's clearly going to get better. However, I agree that there were a few dumb mistakes that he made this week that means he needs some time to think about it. Also, if we're going with one ruck, which one is the most likely to be able to run out the game? You'd have to think it is Goldy, both on history and as a result of the last preseason.

I don't know if we could do it with the rucks in the VFL, but it would be great if we could get Draper to play a couple of weeks trucking 80%+ of the game.
Draper's demeanour at the moment reminds me a little of Joey when he was with us early on. Happy-go-lucky, everything's fun. Joey now looks like he approaches every game seriously by comparison. He's a man now. We had a boy. Draper is sometimes a boy, sometimes a man.

Bobby Hill looms as a massive danger. Maybe start McGrath then switch to Kelly later. Hind could be an option if he stays in the side.

Watching yeasterday, Port really dropped their bundle after quarter time. Amazingly, Butters was off the ground for ages and they never went with JHF, Rozee & Butters in the middle at once. Nobody within 15m of Daicos either. Port had chances to come back but was snuffed out by a selfish Rioli who should have handballed for a certain goal.

Degoey, Daicos, WHE and Hill got Pies moving. Degoey is their barometer IMO. Port didn't respect Cox either, who had one of his better games.

TBH, I am glad the Pies smashed Port in the way they did as it gives our match comittee clear evidence of their strenghts and to plan for their best.
Do you reckon Duz has the ability to go with DeGoey?

B McGrath McKay Redman
HB Martin Laverde Heppell
C Kelly Caldwell Duursma
HF Gresham Jones Langford
F ADavey Wright Stringer
R Goldstein Durham Merrett
INT Parish Cox Hobbs Draper
SUB Hind

IN Wright
OUT Tsatas

I wouldnt rush Wright in. He wasnt offering much before the suspension other than accurate goal kicking.
Jones is taking marks and also following up once it hits the deck. Wright was doing neither.
Draper has too many brain farts but is more dynamic than Wright and has more upside.

No way I’m dropping Draper like so many others.

He’s our #1 ruck, our ruck for the next 10 years and we need to keep pushing him in that role.

A couple of wins and people get a bit ahead of themselves.

We’re not winning the flag.

Goldstein has been great but he’s a short term player for us, a backup for when we need him. His body will certainly appreciate the rest, let’s keep him in good shape for when he’s needed.

In Wright, Shiel
Out Goldstein, Hind

Just don’t think we can have Draper, Wright and Goldstein against the best running side in the comp on the biggest ground. It’s just doesn’t make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back