Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pace on the outside? You mean quick blokes like Pendles, Sidey, Lipinski, Macrae, Crisp and Josh? Not many jet shoes in that lot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You've become chicken little.

There's no doubt they've got us covered on the inside and have a couple of good kpfs, but look outside of that:

Line their flankers up with ours:

IQ, Maynard, Noble, Josh, Sidey, Schultz, Hill, McCreery, Elliott and our rotating mids plsy the flanks well.

We've got them by a lot.

Keep the pressure on and the ball zipping around and we should get them. If we play well we'll win.

What's with 'Bloser'? It's a nothing sort of name to apply to the scum or the filth. The name needs to be instantly recognised as emanating from a deep well of hatred and utter loathing. The 'blouses' might be more appropriate, but totally non PC and would have the women in the forum picketing the thread with their digital posters. Bloser sounds like something you might call a friend or workmate, and that level of casual acquaintanceship is just not acceptable in this context.
Yeah I dunno, the worse the nickname the worse I feel if we lose to them😜 Unfortunately my little brother is a Bl…… supporter so to keep the family harmonious I hold myself back and prefer to use their own slogans against them👍

When did Crisp lose his speed. Who’s going to out sprint Macreery, Bobby running fwd, or IQ, Noble or Markov, out of HB.

Geel are number 1 in scoring from Turnover which is how they beat the Blues.
We are Ranked 3.

Carlton are ranked 13 for defending turnovers. So they are very poor defensively.

If you can’t get comfort from those stats then I’m not sure how you’ll be convinced.

My post was in response to a comment suggesting we’d win through pressure and break-away pace from stoppages, which is not something we have much of. Our speed is close to goal at both ends, not through the middle, especially without DeGoey.

Do you really think we’re going in with a midfield brigade that can match/beat Cripps, Walsh, Cera, Kennedy, Acres, Hollands and Hewett? I don’t.

Unfortunately on Friday night I think Nick will cop a hard tag and we’ll badly lose both the clearance and inside-F50 counts. And without Murphy in support, Moore and Howe won’t be able to regularly zone-off, intercept and rebound. So I expect our backs to be under siege for most of the game.

I am however looking forward to seeing what Harrison, Sullivan and even Macrae can do in the extra game time that they’ll likely get over the next few weeks, which is what you have been wishing for.

It's easy to feel pessimistic about it... but, if JDG's & Mitchell's absence causes other players to lift, particularly those who have been well below their best, it could actually turn out to be an advantage.

We've been winning whilst most players are down on form. Time to lift.
I call this, the “Podsiadly effect”

I reckon we can at least break even in the midfield. Interestingly the ruckmen aren’t being included in calculations. Good games and maybe some creative tap work from Coxy and some timely Cameron possessions and kicks out of the ruck contests may nullify their stoppage work somewhat allowing us to dominate in other areas. However I’m happy for the pessimism to continue and the Carlton arrogance to continue because surely Murphy the Law will take note and will be unable to resist reversing expectations. 👍

Last edited:
My post was in response to a comment suggesting we’d win through pressure and break-away pace from stoppages, which is not something we have much of. Our speed is close to goal at both ends, not through the middle, especially without DeGoey.

I didn't say break away pace from stoppage - I said "on the outside". We'll do them on the rebound and they haven't got the ball users or dash to cut through the way we defend. They should win clearnaces pretty easily - but that's far from the whole game - we've just got to make sure they're pressured so we can turn it over and then beat them on rebound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you really think we’re going in with a midfield brigade that can match/beat Cripps, Walsh, Cera, Kennedy, Acres, Hollands and Hewett? I don’t.

Unfortunately on Friday night I think Nick will cop a hard tag and we’ll badly lose both the clearance and inside-F50 counts. And without Murphy in support, Moore and Howe won’t be able to regularly zone-off, intercept and rebound. So I expect our backs to be under siege for most of the game.

I am however looking forward to seeing what Harrison, Sullivan and even Macrae can do in the extra game time that they’ll likely get over the next few weeks, which is what you have been wishing for.

Fortunately for us the game has gone past pure clearance. Geelong were beaten in clearance in the first half, but were far better defensively and winning from turnover. Carlton will turn it over and if we spread and pressure like the last 5-6 weeks, we are in with a shot. Last year we played extended periods without Degoey, Sidebottom, Howe, Cox, Cameron McStay and NAcios still finished top. Granted Carlton have some good top end talent but we are a far more even side.

Fortunately for us the game has gone past pure clearance. Geelong were beaten in clearance in the first half, but were far better defensively and winning from turnover. Carlton will turn it over and if we spread and pressure like the last 5-6 weeks, we are in with a shot. Last year we played extended periods without Degoey, Sidebottom, Howe, Cox, Cameron McStay and NAcios still finished top. Granted Carlton have some good top end talent but we are a far more even side.
I'm with you, still think we'll win

Geel lost clearance and have done poorly on the same metric most of the year.
It’s not the a defining stat in winning games.
Further, we have faced and beaten strong midfields in the past most recently we embarrassed Rozee, Butter and JHG.
Cripps is the barometer and the mid to fear the most.
But he’s been held by Pendles and Crisp in the past.
As for the others you are grossly over rating Holland and Acres if you think they are stars.
How does Crisp Markov IQ, Noble use their pace if it’s not through the middle?
You have forgotten Frampton in your defensive analysis. If he can handle Daniher, then why are you dismissing his ability to manage McKay?

Again I reiterate the game style Geel used - scoring from Turnover is also our approach, on which we rank 3 ( Geel is 1).
We will expose their struggling defence as they did.
We are capable of doing far far better than you suggest.

Last edited:

There's no doubt they've got us covered on the inside and have a couple of good kpfs, but look outside of that:

IQ, Maynard, Noble, Josh, Sidey, Schultz, Hill, McCreery, Elliott and our rotating mids plsy the flanks well.

We've got them by a lot.

Keep the pressure on and the ball zipping around and we should get them. If we play well we'll win.

I think even more importantly than simply “playing well” is that we need to start well

We’ve shown for 2 years that we have an uncanny ability to “warm into” a game. But we can’t give a team like Carlton the kind of start we gave Essendon and Port

Oh Boy, I can sense a huge upset coming up. I have a feeling we are going to produce one of the greatest wins in H&A history. A monumental performance is coming and will be the start of our run to the flag. Geez, I'm pumped
A ‘huge’ upset? 🤣

Have you regressed that far?

No excuses if Carlton don’t win this week and we should hopefully even if it’s close

But we will need to respect Collingwood’s strengths and be switched on the full 120 minutes. Anything less won’t get it done 💙

Good luck to all hopefully it’s a great game may the best team win
And may that team please be Carlton 😂

I think even more importantly than simply “playing well” is that we need to start well

We’ve shown for 2 years that we have an uncanny ability to “warm into” a game. But we can’t give a team like Carlton the kind of start we gave Essendon and Port
2 games=2 years? We exploded out of the blocks most games last year.

We've got them by a lot.

Haha, yes perhaps you’re right on your Chicken Little call!

Carlton and Geelong are the two teams that trigger my PTSD!

Geelong with good reason tracing back to 2011. The Blues haven’t been much good for 20+ years but their supporters are so smug and cocky and I hate the idea of ever losing to them. I compounded the stress by marrying into a family of them but my wife fully converted to the Pies and our three sons bleed black and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back