Game Day Round 9, 2020: Carlton v Hawthorn, 5.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think two things that will go a long way to help us winning..

have the resting ruckman go to Weitering so he can’t gobble up easy marks.

have someone tag Docherty.

these two create so much ball movement for the Blues, if we can stifle them and slow their ball movement then we will have a chance.
McEvoy will have to play forward if that is the plan. Ceglar doesn't know how to put himself in dangerous positions up forward.

McEvoy will have to play forward if that is the plan. Ceglar doesn't know how to put himself in dangerous positions up forward.
Not sure I agree with this, when he has been resting up forward he has shown the ability to actually lead at the ball carrier and was at one stage considered a gen option out of the goal square, when not rucking, instead of Poppy or Burgs of course the current super-flood across the comp has made this problematic.

Trying to copy icthmonds small crap but forgetting they have 2 big forwards in the years they won? Same with Westcoke

I think so long as we have Cegs/BB resting forward instead of in the backline our structure looks significantly better on paper. It's a real issue for us if our forward line relies on TOB to be our sole focal point. Carlton's kpd's also look like they'll cause us a world of trouble- would have been the perfect game to go in with our three towers.
I'll be really interested to see how we use our rucks this game- I just want to see them play aggressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I agree with this, when he has been resting up forward he has shown the ability to actually lead at the ball carrier and was at one stage considered a gen option out of the goal square, when not rucking, instead of Poppy or Burgs of course the current super-flood across the comp has made this problematic.

Trying to copy icthmonds small crap but forgetting they have 2 big forwards in the years they won? Same with Westcoke
He is athletic which allows him to arrive late and take a mark or beat anothe ruckman on the lead. But he is regularly out positioned by defenders. Concedes way to many marks against because he is just in the wrong spot or didn’t read the play and his man peels off. He is a great disappointment as a player for mine as he has the physical tool to be a top ruckman in the league...just doesnt have the brain for it.

He is athletic which allows him to arrive late and take a mark or beat anothe ruckman on the lead. But he is regularly out positioned by defenders. Concedes way to many marks against because he is just in the wrong spot or didn’t read the play and his man peels off. He is a great disappointment as a player for mine as he has the physical tool to be a top ruckman in the league...just donated have the brain for it.
Not going to argue Bro, as i don't want to belittle or point out to many flaws of the man. Instead I'll put my case for rucks.

Quite awhile ago I was tasked with taking close up pics of Pittos tap work when he was just a kid but also his ability to create space around him, quite forgetting marks around the ground etc....................anyways I'm disappointed that so many don't rate good tap work or the ability to negate a better ruckman or good tap work but also bash and cash to create space for the mids V stats around the ground. I think this is a issue with the coaches who need to look at what Robbie Campbel did to Ottens in the 2008 GF all over again.

What Campel did in 2008 to take Ottens completely out of the game is so far underrated it makes me sad, eps the way he sacrificed himself in 09 because Croad was done.

Ottens was a champ, but on that day Campbel beat him, by making him ineffective. It wrecked the Handbags armchair ride out of the middle. I could name another ruck who used to do this for Hawthorn but would get shot currently.

Rehn almost singlehandly rucked us into a GF. What EcEvoy has done is everything we could have hoped for..........I'm not going into him playing as a defender, as I am talking about rucks who rest forward.

Gotta love the optimism in here, but really guys and gals we’ve been pretty shite for the last month, so if you’re expecting it all to turn around tonight you should at least prepare to be completely and utterly let down.

Just saying.

Am very confident we win this.

Finally we are playing on a large ground that suits our style of play - expecting Scully to bounce back to some form now he has some space to run.

In general I expect a big change in our style of play now that we have space to move around the oval.

Some great ins also, Breust is so important to us and will take the pressure of Chad as the dangerous forward, while Impey will provide some much needed dash from defence.

Have faith Hawk men!

Few random thoughts here

Collingwood, GWS, Melbourne and even Sydney were allowed to roam through the middle of the ground and tear us apart. This needs to be fixed.

Each mark from a kick out of the backline must be met by a player on the burst for a handball. Our slow, pedestrian style will play into their hands

Port Adelaide last night lowered their eyes time after time and his up short targets in the forwardline to players on a lead. We have to start one or maybe two of our guys very deep, to allow a lead for that kick.

We will somehow make Pitto look like a cross between Gary Dempsey, Polly Farmer and Max Gawn.

Every team has a "we've got to stop him" player. Carlton have Cripps (although they are sharing the load this year). Who's ours ?

Each week someone bobs up and gets the better of us, and you wonder "did the coaches even put an time into him". This week it could be Jack Martin. I hope we've got someone to stop him,

Unleash Frost. He'd be close to top of the PCM at the minute, and i reckon we just let him play his natural game and run and dash.

The part of Sicily's game that i really give him credit for now is his demeanor. Opposition players target him. The umpires let them. He's managed to really keep it in check though, however Carlton really target him. We all love his intercept marking, but honestly what does he do then ? A bomb up the wing. I could do that. Like Frost, he needs to be given licence to run, and then hit a 20-30 metre pass, and have a player run past to get the handball. Just because he can kick it 60 metres doesn't mean he has to, because it's often a nothing kick. He has the ability to be a much more complete player.

Get off Scully's back. I must be in 1% of supporters who think he's getting harshly treated. He's an elite outside runner, but everyone is getting annoyed that he's not doing the job as an inside midfielder. When we get the ball to him he hits targets. Of course he can improve, but if we can use the skills that we recruited him for, then we'll get a much better output from him. At the moment we're asking a Mustang to do the job of a 4WD

Go Hawks

Gotta love the optimism in here, but really guys and gals we’ve been pretty sh*te for the last month, so if you’re expecting it all to turn around tonight you should at least prepare to be completely and utterly let down.

Just saying.
I prefer to bury my head in the sand until about 7:30 tonight when i resort to alcohol and chucking in the 2014 Grand Final DVD to numb the pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back