Preview Round 9, 2023 : Hawks v Demons, 4.35pm Sat 13th May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair call. I always thought he was a courageous player and yet this year he seems to avoid contact. I’ve not seen that delta before unless it was related to an injury (including someone fit, returning from injury but not yet confident in their body).

Think some ITK were calling out Scrimshaw close to the start of the season. Up to him now, if squibbing it is the problem.

DGB is in a bit of strife id imagine.

The optimism and belief in DGB seem to be based on two things:
1 He was drafted at pick 6
2 He plays for Hawthorn

The reality is that in three years he has done nothing to warrant this optimism other than what he showed in his first game three years ago vs GWS. That was still the best game he has played.
He lacks the strength, speed and height to ever be the sort of defender to play on the genuine key forwards. I doubt he will ever be able to put on the bulk and muscle needed. Some people are born that way. Just ask Tim O’Brien.
What he did seem to have Is athleticism but that seems to have deserted him.
He also seems to lack genuine football smarts. He should be able to pick up multiple possessions at VFL level as option when coming out of defence but always appears disinterested or too lazy to be that option.
There’s no doubt that his Covid affected draft class looks to be one of the most underwhelming ever. Maybe we just got unlucky to have such an early pick in such a poor draft year unlike 2004 when we got really lucky.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

2 He plays for Hawthorn

The reality is that in three years he has done nothing to warrant this optimism other than what he showed in his first game three years ago vs GWS. That was still the best game he has played.
He lacks the strength, speed and height to ever be the sort of defender to play on the genuine key forwards. I doubt he will ever be able to put on the bulk and muscle needed. Some people are born that way. Just ask Tim O’Brien.
He also seems to lack genuine football smarts. He should be able to pick up multiple possessions at VFL level as option when coming out of defence but always appears disinterested or too lazy to be that option.
There’s no doubt that his Covid affected draft class looks to be one of the most underwhelming ever. Maybe we just got unlucky to have such an early pick in such a poor draft year unlike 2004 when we got really lucky.

We have only tried him in one position, I'd like to see him play forward.

Pretty thoughtful and considered post for your first, welcome. ;-)

2 He plays for Hawthorn

That's absolute rubbish.

Gee I really wonder what the deal is with Scrimshaw and the club is this season.

To my mind at least he has been good to very good the majority of games he has played for us the last three years and on natural talent alone would be in our top handful of players. Also been super consistent as well which is a quality I really rate.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the one game we have won this year against North Scrimmers played a blinder. Like CJ, when Jack plays well the team generally does as well.

We really don’t have the talent on our list to risk losing him to another club, that would be a terrible outcome.

Laconic is fine but there has been a few times when the game was on the line and he didn't go. That can't be tolerated. I really do think he's injured, or recovering from an injury from which he hasn't regained full confidence in yet.
Laocnic is not fine. If you aren't going to go for it you need to be the opposite of laconic and be really outspoken to tell others to go for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee I really wonder what the deal is with Scrimshaw and the club is this season.

To my mind at least he has been good to very good the majority of games he has played for us the last three years and on natural talent alone would be in our top handful of players. Also been super consistent as well which is a quality I really rate.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the one game we have won this year against North Scrimmers played a blinder. Like CJ, when Jack plays well the team generally does as well.

We really don’t have the talent on our list to risk losing him to another club, that would be a terrible outcome.
Clearly in our best 22, so hopefully they're nursing him through injury or tough love to meet whatever KPIs he needs to hit and make him an even better player

Clearly in our best 22, so hopefully they're nursing him through injury or tough love to meet whatever KPIs he needs to hit and make him an even better player
I’d argue that he already was a very good player.

Not sure if this tough love is actually improving him or destroying his confidence.

To me Jack was the last player I would have been putting the heat on, he’s been super for us since he came over from Gold Coast.

Laocnic is not fine. If you aren't going to go for it you need to be the opposite of laconic and be really outspoken to tell others to go for it.

I think we are defining laconic differently. Laconic to me is Mark Waugh, got the job done but looked like he wasn't trying. Pendles is laconic. Probably from the basketball background. ;-) Sorry, it's late.

You don't understand though, Weddle is lazy/flustered and Seamus can be flustered/lazy. That's why we have to get them back into VFL and keep playing Scrimshaw.
BAHAHAHHAHAHA what kinda take 🥴🥴🥴

Here We Go Again GIF

He's not unfit relative to AFL standards. Stuart Dew coming back after retirement was unfit relative to AFL standards.
Stuart Dew was just unfit. Would wager he had the skinfolds and BMI of a bloke running around for Tallygaroopna reserves.

Relative to a position where the elite are playing 100% TOG and running ~13km a game, Denver is unfit. I'm a fan of the kid as a player but he just has below average aerobic capacity.

Problem with playing him forward is he offers nothing defensively. Need to be a big goal kickers to get away with no defensive intent up forward these days.

Scrimshaw is clearly on the outer with Mitchell
That’s what I am worried about.

I reckon once you are on the outer with Sam your papers are stamped (look at what happened with Tom Mitchell) and honestly we really don’t have the talent levels as a club to be losing a player of Scrimmers talents.

We have cut back so hard already we need to consolidate our team a bit and losing Jack won’t help that one bit.

That’s what I am worried about.

I reckon once you are on the outer with Sam your papers are stamped (look at what happened with Tom Mitchell) and honestly we really don’t have the talent levels as a club to be losing a player of Scrimmers talents.

We have cut back so hard already we need to consolidate our team a bit and losing Jack won’t help that one bit.
I think like everyone I really rate his talent. I think he is one of the more capable players on the list in terms of pure football skills. But he hasn’t improved as a player in 3 years. Whether people like it or not the knock on him from Gold Coast related to work ethic. The same knock seems to exist at Hawthorn and failure to improve is often a symptom of failure to work hard. My impression is that he’s a cruiser with talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back