Preview Round 9, 2024 : Hawks v Saints, 1:45pm Sat 11th May, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at their midfield and all I see is Steele and Ross. They've got a ton of outside run, but reckon they struggle for depth on the inside.

If Meek can give our bulls first look, we should be able to get it done.

Steele, Sinclair, Ross and Windhager.

No Crouch is good for us. Steele and Sinclair are guns. Ross is a decent midfielder, but not particularly damaging.

Windhager has been playing well lately, he will likely get a tagging job on Newcombe. Day hasn't worked his way into good form yet, so probably no point in tagging him unless he gets going during the match.

I look at their midfield and all I see is Steele and Ross. They've got a ton of outside run, but reckon they struggle for depth on the inside.

If Meek can give our bulls first look, we should be able to get it done.
Is Henry back for them is the question? If he is then he's a great connector for them going forward and I'd get Maginess to tag him

I certainly see the merit in that view.

However, key/marking forwards is our thinnest area, especially for youth.

There is really only Ramsden and Dear - both of whom are very early in their careers, very raw and are still getting opportunities regardless (Ramsden 3 games already this season, Dear debut - much earlier than anyone thought - on the weekend).

Our focus needs to be the youth and the future (and this is likely Gunston's last season) but we don't need Ramsden and/or Dear playing every game at this stage of their development. If anything, I think that has more potential to hinder overall team development as you can lose your structure and playing style if you are relying on developing kids to play key roles all year. You also don't want to keep having to swing Sicily/Scrimshaw and others forward to cover deficiencies, as this just leaves other areas vulnerable (and the 'playing together' and 'team development' argument works best when players are playing in the position they will hold in the future). I think Dear and Ramsden will develop just fine with a handful of games each and with Gunston likely to retire, increased responsibility next year. As such, I would select based on merit - which likely means Gunston in when Lewis and/or Chol are out and then "who's performing best" for that 3rd tall spot when they are both in.

With all that said, getting games into the youth and have them play together is definately a principle I agree with us employing, especially in the areas where the youngsters are a little more developed than we see in the KPF area (ie. small forwards, young mids, etc).
You do understand I was agreeing with you that if Chol/Lewis are out then Gunston is a no brainer.

Steele is playing under duress at the moment. Only looked good last week because it was against North.

Knee strapping is getting heavier by the week.
Was saying the same thing during that game. Have watched him closely for the last month, and he looks a shadow of his former self. Definitely carrying an injury. Looks like he has no break away from stoppage.

Here is Kade Simpson on the Talking Hawks Podcast

My worry is playing Breust and Gunston in the same forward line. Given we are short up forward Gunston has to stay in and maybe Breust as sub. Watson a full game and Mitchell so 2 of Mackenzie, Ward or Morrison goes back to Box Hill

My worry is playing Breust and Gunston in the same forward line. Given we are short up forward Gunston has to stay in and maybe Breust as sub. Watson a full game and Mitchell so 2 of Mackenzie, Ward or Morrison goes back to Box Hill
Breust and Gunston play so well together though. Thought it was mistake early in the season when they subbed Gunston in for Breust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone take a stab as to what the chances of Sis getting up are this week?

tumblr_ng75k2LPvy1rfj2evo2_500.gif

Breust and Gunston play so well together though. Thought it was mistake early in the season when they subbed Gunston in for Breust.
It is ok if we have the ball. They provide no defensive pressure when the opposition have it though

Greeting, have a Supercoach related inquiry. Is there a specific reason for Moores high scoring the past 3 weeks and poor form before that? Was it just form or has he had a role change recenlty, and if so do you expect that role to continue moving forwards? ta

Greeting, have a Supercoach related inquiry. Is there a specific reason for Moores high scoring the past 3 weeks and poor form before that? Was it just form or has he had a role change recenlty, and if so do you expect that role to continue moving forwards? ta

Coming off glandular fever leading into the season.

He's also getting some CBA's now.

On top of that, he's a heart and soul player who takes losing personally. Always gives his all. He'll pump out the odd 50 or 60, but it's usually always followed up by some consistent scores or a few big ones.

Big month ahead looks like we might get some players back in the next few weeks and have something that resembles a spine. ( Lewis, Chol, DGB )

Big month for Mackensie, Ward, Morrison to nail down a position. Some quailty due to come back in the side once they have regained full fitness (Jiath, Wingard)

This week will be a tough week for selection Chol for a small. Wait and see on Sicily might be a chance for a Phillips.

UTAS good for the Hawks., wide spaces like the MCG. Finn to tag Bradley Hill, has forever been a superb performer down there.
Breust a definite in, in my books it will be Watson making way and Mackenzie becomes the sub. Watson could stay in if there are further injuries we don't yet know about.
If Sicily doesn't get up, Serong takes his spot.... in fabulous form and I personally think he will end up a really good player for us.
Hopefully there won't be further changes necessary, and with DGB, Jiath and Chad in the BHH team, would expect a very good performance from them this weekend.

You probably bring Phillips in

Play Frost on King
Scrim on Membreys
Phillips on Hayes/Marshall
Weddle on Owens
Very early on in the piece, you'll realise they'll be playing Hayes/Marshall on Phillips

UTAS good for the Hawks., wide spaces like the MCG. Finn to tag Bradley Hill, has forever been a superb performer down there.
Breust a definite in, in my books it will be Watson making way and Mackenzie becomes the sub. Watson could stay in if there are further injuries we don't yet know about.
If Sicily doesn't get up, Serong takes his spot.... in fabulous form and I personally think he will end up a really good player for us.
Hopefully there won't be further changes necessary, and with DGB, Jiath and Chad in the BHH team, would expect a very good performance from them this weekend.
On the wide open spaces of the MCG we are 0-4 this year. On the smaller Docklands we're 2-0. Adelaide Oval also small and we just got pipped by Collingwood

On the wide open spaces of the MCG we are 0-4 this year. On the smaller Docklands we're 2-0. Adelaide Oval also small and we just got pipped by Collingwood
very true, but perhaps an aberration. MCG has been good to us, as has UTAS. Different class of opposition this year at MCG vs Docklands ... four top 8 sides, including the three best in it IMO, compared to a struggling middle-of-the-road side and a VFL team.
Adelaide oval is very similar to MCG, but you are probably right, might be a bit smaller.
The opposition player most likely to carve us up down there will be Hill, really hope they send Finn to him.
Nask will take care of Steele.

Yeah the commentators mentioned this during the game - that our structure holds up better on small grounds.

They said maybe the young players didn't have the stamina yet to defend the bigger grounds. Who knows how accurate that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back