Review Round 9 - Brisbane V Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought we were beaten by the better side on the night but I was disappointed by Vossy's failure to deal with the Tuohy tag on Zorko. He was playing forward pocket for the majority of the night and was too deep to be part of the action and an easy tag.. It was a no brainer to run him through the middle or off the half back flank at least you force Carlton to lose the impact of a running midfielder or an attacking forward. He is integral to our success. If he gets involved we win. Our non reaction just played into Malthouse's hands.

This sums up the issue with Vossy. He is a very good spokesperson, appears to have respect of the players, can be an inspirational leader… but he doesn’t appear to be as tactically savvy as other coaches. And that’s ok – not every coach is a mick malthouse. But if Voss is retained at the end of the year the club must ensure they appoint someone to ensure he has that gameday strategic support. At the moment he’s pretty much got a bunch of young blokes and Mark Harvey - who didn’t exactly demonstrate tactical excellence at freo.

Elliot yeo...I think is comming along nicely, had another solid night tonight as mentioned earlier he has MOSTLY got rid of those high and up under kicks he use to love so much.

Docherty, every time I saw him come to the side line to be replaced he looked so exhausted, more so then any other player on the park.
Lilse, I mentioned this about him before, BUT at times in contested marking situations instead of trying to mark it, he actually looks to be tapping the ball out, like a ruck contest. He gave nothing in the ruck and from reports out of the ressies big bill longer had a great game, so I feel jordie could be back to the reserves.

Also noticed Lisle doing this repeatedly. There was one particular incident in the last quarter where he got rid of his man then threw the one arm up, almost as an afterthought. Of course the ball bounced out of the middle of his hand. I don't understand it, is it a confidence thing? Is he carrying a shoulder injury? It's annoying whatever it is, he gets to the right spots, uses his body well and then almost seems afraid or embaressed to take the bloody mark.

The scary thing is, we could be staring down the barrel of no Brown, no Leuenberger, no Rich, no Merrett...That is literally our best or at least top 3 players in all 4 areas of the ground out of action.

But be prepared for people to still overreact if Collingwood beats us by more then 30 points.

I accept that stats aren't everything, but our midfielders simply aren't getting enough of the ball. Carlton had nine players with 20 or more possessions, we had one - an ageing Simon Black. Carlton's top possession winners were mostly midfielders, ours were a mixture of midfielders and backs (incl Hanley, Adcock, Lester, Staker). Although Rocky has averaged 26 possessions this year, 19 possessions for he and Redden and 17 for Moloney is not really good enoughin a pressure game. Moloney has added to our midfield but we are really not getting full value from it, partly because Rich and Black have been missing but also because Redden has been below par this year. We will need another midfielder against the Pies, but I suspect they have in mind bringing Banfield back.

This sums up the issue with Vossy. He is a very good spokesperson, appears to have respect of the players, can be an inspirational leader… but he doesn’t appear to be as tactically savvy as other coaches. And that’s ok – not every coach is a mick malthouse. But if Voss is retained at the end of the year the club must ensure they appoint someone to ensure he has that gameday strategic support. At the moment he’s pretty much got a bunch of young blokes and Mark Harvey - who didn’t exactly demonstrate tactical excellence at freo.

Our hands were a bit tied in this area as were lacking an alterante small forward with top end pace to apply forward pressure. This is where Green is so important because on top of everyhting he brings to the table it releases Zorko to play higher up the field

Agreed the options were limited but it was not impossible. Straight swap with Mayes off the wing was the most apparent or maybe a rotation through the midfield with Rocky or maybe just put Zorks on Garlett. These were unexplored options. My main point is that we need Zorko involved in the play as much as possible. The real issue goes back to his initial selection as a forward pocket.The little champ is a multiple B&F as a midfielder. That's where he is most damaging.

Agreed the options were limited but it was not impossible. Straight swap with Mayes off the wing was the most apparent or maybe a rotation through the midfield with Rocky or maybe just put Zorks on Garlett. These were unexplored options. My main point is that we need Zorko involved in the play as much as possible. The real issue goes back to his initial selection as a forward pocket.The little champ is a multiple B&F as a midfielder. That's where he is most damaging.

I don't agree with that, personally. I think we need another forward pocket who can kick goals more than we need another midfielder who can drive us forward.

It just underlines how difficult it is to fix one problem without creating another one elsewhere. Leuenberger and Merrett are two other players who seem to have the capacity to kick goals, but we'd have to take them away from the ruck or the backline.

Gee, Carlton are a very average football team if they can only beat us by such a small margin with 2/3 of our regular defense missing, and on top of that also being down McGrath and Leuenberger at the end as well we would have been steamrolled by any decent team. After we hung in there I was surprised and we were so close at the end. I think that shows guts and determination, to almost pinch a win. A few umpiring decisions going the right way and a few less acts from Murphy (hear Broadway have called him) and we would have won.

We were in disarray as soon as the ball went forward in the first quarter, you could see the guys looking around wondering who was meant to be on who, but all credit to the fill ins, they probably broke even after that first quarter.

We have a hell of a lot more upside than Carlton do in my opinion. It will be nice in the coming years when we beat Carlton during their rebuild by 90+ points regularly, as Judd is almost gone and a few others are close to the end. It feels god to know we are on the rise and you can see it, feel it every game. (Well the last three at least)

Carlton are the middle of the road team I reckon but the Blues should have won by a lot more.
You didn't lose Leuenberger till late in the game so I don't think he would of made a difference
in the end. And didn't Mcgrath get subbed off coz he wasn't doing anything? so you didn't actually lose him.
Carlton are a footy side who cant kick straight and that is the only reason Brisbane got close.
Both team have their fare share of injuries so I cant argue either way there.
As for your more upside comment i totally disagree. By the end of next season the Lions will have
more 30+ aged players than the Blues will so I don't know where you got that argument from.

As for your more upside comment i totally disagree. By the end of next season the Lions will have
more 30+ aged players than the Blues will so I don't know where you got that argument from.

Are Carazzo, Judd, Scotland, Simpson and Waite all retiring or something?

You can talk as much 'coulda, shoulda' as you want on your own board or the main board - this isn't the place for it.

Carlton are the middle of the road team I reckon but the Blues should have won by a lot more.
You didn't lose Leuenberger till late in the game so I don't think he would of made a difference
in the end. And didn't Mcgrath get subbed off coz he wasn't doing anything? so you didn't actually lose him.
Carlton are a footy side who cant kick straight and that is the only reason Brisbane got close.

Are you high?

Both sides missed easy set-shots, so this waffle of us only getting close because of your inaccuracy is horseshit. We lost Leuenberger late in the game when we needed to win the clearances, of course it would have made a difference. McGrath got subbed off because he was injured. Carlton are on the way down and everyone knows it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was an absolute stupid handball and just sad the bloke tweaked his calf as a result.

I think Vossey should be lining up the Lions players and making them watch the last 10 minutes of the Crows-North game. The way the Crows ran, spread, supported each other in waves of two or three, showed fantastic desperation and were so clean with their handballs and pin-point passing was a lesson to be learned.

We still tend to drop way too many handballs at the recipient's feet under a bit of pressure - result: turnovers.

Are Carazzo, Judd, Scotland, Simpson and Waite all retiring or something?

You can talk as much 'coulda, shoulda' as you want on your own board or the main board - this isn't the place for it.

Apparently Judd is almost gone and a few others are close to the end. I was merely pointing out that the lions have more older players than the Blues have. Fact are Facts.

Apparently Judd is almost gone and a few others are close to the end. I was merely pointing out that the lions have more older players than the Blues have. Fact are Facts.

Facts are indeed facts. Try posting some next time.

Are you high?

Both sides missed easy set-shots, so this waffle of us only getting close because of your inaccuracy is horseshit. We lost Leuenberger late in the game when we needed to win the clearances, of course it would have made a difference. McGrath got subbed off because he was injured. Carlton are on the way down and everyone knows it.

Carlton missed way more easy shots and you know it.
Carlton dominated every stat bar tackles but that happens when you have the ball more than not.
Carlton won the clearances all day with Leuenberger on the field so it wouldn't have mattered.
With a majority of our best 22 aged in their mid 20s or under I think we will be right for a while yet.

Carlton missed way more easy shots and you know it.
Carlton dominated every stat bar tackles but that happens when you have the ball more than not.
Carlton won the clearances all day with Leuenberger on the field so it wouldn't have mattered.
With a majority of our best 22 aged in their mid 20s or under I think we will be right for a while yet.

Yeah cos teams so often drop coaches mid contract in a desperate attempt to get to finals just as their list is about to hit it's ideal age/skill bracket :rolleyes:

I only post the truth.

Apparently not. Look at your list, do some maths.

And in fact, you don't really post at all. At least not until you got on here acting high and mighty about a very average win.

I'm not sure why you've used your only posts to come on the Lions board but I'll give you a tip, it's not the done thing. Post your pointless stuff on the Carlton board, this board is for our discussion.

So there is a strong chance that we could go into this game with all of Merrett, Rich, Brown, Leuenberger, and Golby out. That is our number 1 key defender, our best midfielder, our number 1 key forward, our number 1 Ruckman, and our best small defender all out. Just great.

It'll be very interesting at least...still, exactly not what we want with the old jumper against the Pies on a Friday night.

This is how I see it, we lost by 13 points with two goals to the Blues coming at the end of quarters (one from a stupid free kick against Raines and another from a stupid turnover from a kick-in) that could easily be a one point loss and if we were in the situation of being down by 1 point and with the amount of possession we had around our 50m arc we could have put through one or two long behinds to sneak a win. We only lost this game because of inexperience and injuries. Just like a few games this year - West Coast and Adelaide. We win all three of these games and we are 6-3. The vast amount of improvement shown from this time last year is tremendous. Voss must be signed on for another two years at least to give the team confidence and a sense of direction. It will work wonders and with the passing of Brown and Black and a new breed of youngsters coming through with a secured leader I think we can really turn ourselves into a strong football team.

The Carlton Blews...Accepting mediocrity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back