Review Round 9 - GWS Giants vs West Coast Eagles @ Skoda

Remove this Banner Ad

Weather is not great at the moment. Could be another tiny crowd

BoM is saying early showers only for Saturday. Hopefully that's the case, otherwise it's going to be a pretty s**t day.

Weather is not great at the moment. Could be another tiny crowd
It would be a tiny crowd anyway. Regardless of the weather.

They aren't going to get many people to watch them while they are so uncompetitive.

I paid memberships in each of the past 3 years and I am starting to get pretty disillusioned about the way they have gone about things.

They simply aren't going to garner support while they put a team of kids out on the park each week to get thrashed.

:(

They aren't going to get many people to watch them while they are so uncompetitive.

I paid memberships in each of the past 3 years and I am starting to get pretty disillusioned about the way they have gone about things.

My thoughts exactly after that Adelaide game. It seems like an unusual strategy to try and break into afl-resistant territory with an uncompetitive team.

It's a huge gamble to hope that these young men will form a powerhouse team in the future. If it pays off then all will be good. If it fails.... it will kill off AFL in Western Sydney for good.

They simply aren't going to garner support while they put a team of kids out on the park each week to get thrashed.

I just recently finished watching a documentary put out by the afl "From Boys to Giants". It's an old one (i.e. pre-2012 - when Izzy was still our "marquee"). What was interesting is that you overheard SOS at one point mentioning that they weren't drafting specific players to build a team, and that they could always trade these players at a later date.

I now wonder if the GWS strategy was to establish these players, then sell them off as needed. A bit like a post-draft talent nursery.

If that is the case then perhaps now is that tipping point when list management starts trading away the players we've got for more established players.

Anyway.... I'm still rocking up this Saturday, rain, hail or shine. Hopefully we'll see some continued improvement from the players.

I honestly can't help but think they got the strategy completely wrong and that Sheedy was not the man for the job. I hope he can prove me wrong though. AFL really need to make sure they have a review about GWS and how well the strategy on and off field is going and try to improve on things. Obviously they were never going to replicate the advances of the Wanderers in a closed player market, but there have to be better systems to implement.

I just recently finished watching a documentary put out by the afl "From Boys to Giants". It's an old one (i.e. pre-2012 - when Izzy was still our "marquee"). What was interesting is that you overheard SOS at one point mentioning that they weren't drafting specific players to build a team, and that they could always trade these players at a later date.

I now wonder if the GWS strategy was to establish these players, then sell them off as needed. A bit like a post-draft talent nursery.

If that is the case then perhaps now is that tipping point when list management starts trading away the players we've got for more established players.

Anyway.... I'm still rocking up this Saturday, rain, hail or shine. Hopefully we'll see some continued improvement from the players.

We always knew that there would be pain in the first few years but what it would seem we have done is give our kids 2 full years to decide which ones were up to it and in doing this by the years end pump around 40 games into the likes of Cameron, Mohr,Kennedy,Bugg, Smith,Cogs, Greene & Shiel - which would of been harder to do if we had experienced players taking games off these kids.

so when we add 3 or so experienced guys in 2014 these players will be joining a team that has a number of players who have shown they are up to it and are heading towards 50+ games. So these experienced players joining us won't worry that this kid will stuff up if i give him the ball but rather have trust in the players around him.

And its worth considering that:

After the Suns used 46 players in their inaugural season in 2011 and 44 players last year, either Gorringe or Nicholls could be the 30th player used by the club at the top level this year, indicating a far more settled senior line-up.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...erienced-ruckmen/story-fnca0u4y-1226647917127

I don't begrudge anyone who would rather watch the Giants from home at the moment.

Unless the Giants have a top 4 side, there will be little immediate impact on their effect in West Sydney. The market for fans in West Sydney needs to grow with the Giants team. Even though we suck, not THAT many people from West Sydney have seen us suck ;) If we were merely competitive, I still think we may be only getting 12,000 fans max anyway. If we were ultra-competitive, than sure, that will balloon out - but it is impossible to become ultra-competitive in such a tight competition as the AFL.

As the market and the name grows, so the Giants will get better.

Giants are a completely different kettle of fish than the Suns, we need to grow the team AND the market.

And now back to the actually game:

GWS v West Coast
Adam Treloar was rested last week and didn't play in the NEAFL so should return to the senior side. Matt Buntine and Will Hoskin-Elliott both performed well in the reserves and are likely inclusions as Kevin Sheedy continues to rotate is young squad. Mark Whiley and Tom Bugg were both quiet against the Hawks and are likely to make way.
The Eagles will be forced into two changes with Will Schofield and Sharrod Wellingham to miss after picking up injuries against North. Bradd Dalziell has come in for Wellingham in a big show of faith for the former Lion as he keeps veteran Andrew Embley out of the side despite the 2006 Norm Smith medallist dominating in the WAFL last week. Mitch Brown looks a likely replacement for Schofield while Mark Hutchings, Callum Wilson and Sam Butler are all on the plane east according to spies at Perth airport, although there was no sign of Beau Waters.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/afl-team-whispersround-9-236362

Sorry to intrude, but you don't just go trading players who've you spent 3-4 years developing for the sake of acquiring established players. That's terrible for team morale. It's how relationships with the coaching staff fall apart. Players start questioning their position in the side and feel as though they're always walking on shaky ground with the possibility of being traded at the drop of a hat.

Maybe one or two, but not a big clean out like you seem to be suggesting.

Sorry to intrude, but you don't just go trading players who've you spent 3-4 years developing for the sake of acquiring established players. That's terrible for team morale. It's how relationships with the coaching staff fall apart. Players start questioning their position in the side and feel as though they're always walking on shaky ground with the possibility of being traded at the drop of a hat.

You need to remember that as a development side we are a bit different as we will be getting in about 3 experienced players at the years end plus also making the regulation 3 draft picks - but that said 3 those players going will be Cornes, Brogan & Thornton, plus we need to decide if we are better off zone selecting Errin Wasley-Black rather then keeping one of our current kids - and if we go that direction thats a change over of 7 players.

My ideal scenario would be for the giants to stick with the playing squad and not lose anyone. Over the last week however, the Giants marketing has been heavily promoting Nic Nat .... and he doesn't even play for us. It just makes me wonder how hard the Giants are going to push to get him next year and whether or not they'll sell the farm to get him.

Perhaps it was the giants' strategy to stick with the current playing group and hope they come good in time (and I hope it still is). However you've got to admit that they've been copping it from every angle in the media since their afl debut, whether it be about the draft concessions and cost of living allowance, the perceived non-performance of our highly paid players, the focus on lack of on-field "success" and dismal crowds. In short, they may be tempted to give up too much to get some instant success. I just hope they don't slaughter our golden goose for it (i.e. our current playing group).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giants fans, get ready for pain. Pain from the Blayne Train.

61eZDgY.jpg

Not sure if you can read anything into that, but O'hAilpin looks set to return. Notably Miles is still on the board too.

How is Folau on the same board as Whitfield and Corr? :confused:

Edit: Don't worry. I got it now. I read the board before checking twitter and Facebook etc.

Looking at Sheed's whiteboard

Kennedy-Mohr-Gilham
Corr-Bruce-Townsend
Treloar- Greene - Coniglio
Palmer-O'hAilpin-Whitfield
???-Cameron-Smith

??? - Miles - Ward

Presumably one of Giles/Brogan is under Folau as starting ruckman

I'd presume Adams is probably filling the forward line and Scully/Shiel on the bench. Bugg on the bench too with the other ruckman?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back