SA Showdown vs WA Derby - which rivalry is bigger?

Which rivalry is bigger?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I can solve this conundrum once and for all.

In WA the derby is bigger.

In SA the showdown is bigger.

End thread/

A lot of pointless dickswinging in this thread.
In Victoria the Essendon/Collingwood rivalry or the Carlton/Collingwood rivalry would be seen asa the biggest
In SA there's no way anyone has a bigger rivalry than Crows/Port
In WA there's no way there's anything bigger than a derby
In NSW the Sydney/GWS rivalry is....oh well holds true in most states
In QLD the Lions/Suns rivalry is.......oh well see above
In TAS they just dream about a rivalry, whereas they should have had a team years ago

Lived in Adelaide for 22 years, lived in Perth for 6.

You would not even know the thing is on over here. Work in the city, interacting with hundreds of people a week and it hasn't been brought up once- I only realized it was on tonight watching the footy show. Obviously if you are a Fremantle or West Coast fan it's important, but the spotlight and focus from the general public just isn't there, although no denying that it will make for some pleasant "local sports team" water cooler conversation come Monday. In all sincerity the Reds v Blues is a much bigger event over here.

On the other hand growing up in Adelaide, showdown week was and is all encompassing, it grips the state, it's personal. I feel genuinely sorry for non-footy fans in SA during this time- there's way too many South Australians who take football too seriously, as if their team's failure or success was an extension of their own accomplishments (or failings), and it rises to a rabid fever pitch when the two teams clash. While it can be embarrassing, this frenetic fervor bordering on hatred drives the rivalry and once it's over the entire state takes a breath and returns to normality. Not necessarily something to be proud of, but it is what it is.

The comparison is a no contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not going to pretend I have any idea about the WA Derby because I've never lived over there or had any investment in those teams. As a result I'm not going to try to ascertain which rivalry is 'bigger'.

What I will say is, though, that I loathe Port Adelaide with an absolute passion. My grandfather is Norwood through and through and when his son (my Dad) became a traitorous swampie Port feind, my grandfather did a great job ensuring that I wouldn't fall down the same treacherous path.
Certainly helped with my Mum being a Norwood fan too.

I respect Port Adelaide's history, and I am envious that they got to join the national competition and whatever happened in 1990 was a disservice to South Australian football. I've mentioned before that in my perfect world, the Crows wouldn't have needed to be formed and this weekend would be another epic Norwood v Port Adelaide battle..

But the Adelaide Crows do exist, and they do embody a part of South Australian football history that extends back before 1990. I won't speak for other SANFL fans, but I do feel as though there is a bit of Norwood, a bit of Sturt, a bit of Glenelg etc in the Crows and that they continue to fight the good fight against the swampie scum who infest the football world with their over the top arrogance and petulant sense of self worth.

Unfortunately I have a game of footy this Sunday at 3pm, which I think is the exact time the Showdown starts so I'll miss most of it.. but you better believe my opponents on Sunday will start to look like filthy prison bars with a teal overtone and I will be wanting to hit them as hard as I possibly can...

Not sure how you think this makes sense as a reply.
It's pretty straightforward really- no other team feels strongly enough about North to constitute a rivalry. Perhaps you can educate me otherwise?

Not this again.

The derby is widely acknowledged as a greater rivalry than the showdown. How many inconsequential polls do you need to feel better about it?
Widely acknowledged by who? All I can do is chuckle at an opinion like this. Reminds me of the Western Australians who say they've been overseas cos they've visited Rottnest Island.

ps. This is in no way an SA v WA post. I could list a zillion things wrong with SA (from an informed, lived there opinion at that.) But the rivalry is just incomparable.

Widely acknowledged by who? All I can do is chuckle at an opinion like this. Reminds me of the Western Australians who say they've been overseas cos they've visited Rottnest Island.

ps. This is in no way an SA v WA post. I could list a zillion things wrong with SA (from an informed, lived there opinion at that.) But the rivalry is just incomparable.
Widely acknowledged by AFL commentators. The last discussion I saw about it was led by Gerard Healy. They were considering where it stood amongst the greatest rivalries in the world. The showdown is never even considered in these discussions.

Back