SA Showdown vs WA Derby - which rivalry is bigger?

Which rivalry is bigger?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty straightforward really- no other team feels strongly enough about North to constitute a rivalry. Perhaps you can educate me otherwise?
Sure it was a cogent sentence but it had no relationship to the previous statement.

lol at this debate to be honest.

"Mine is better" - A
"Why?" -B
"Because mine is better" - A
"Actually mine is better because mine is better." - B

Both rivalries are strong but the way the Showdown rivalry came about was much more bitter and dividing. Maybe if East Fremantle and East Perth got the AFL licences?

Widely acknowledged by AFL commentators. The last discussion I saw about it was led by Gerard Healy. They were considering where it stood amongst the greatest rivalries in the world. The showdown is never even considered in these discussions.
Even if I believed this to be a widespread opinion of AFL commentators as you claim, the opinions of a subsection of society (based in Melbourne) for whom AFL is the centre of the world are poorly qualified to speak for how a game grips the common people of a state. My observations come from extensive experience living within both states, interacting with every section of society (even shock horror- non AFL lovers).

The Showdown suffocates South Australia like no other rivalry, for better or worse, and you'd struggle to find anyone who's lived in both states who'd disagree.

lol at this debate to be honest.

"Mine is better" - A
"Why?" -B
"Because mine is better" - A
"Actually mine is better because mine is better." - B

Both rivalries are strong but the way the Showdown rivalry came about was much more bitter and dividing. Maybe if East Fremantle and East Perth got the AFL licences?
If you haven't figured out by now that Bigfooty is one massive online pissing contest then you never will :footy:

Showdown has the pre-AFL history to back up the rivarly with Port's SANFL success and the 1990 AFL bid drama forcing the creation of the Crows.
The Showdown rivalry began 7 years before Showdown 1. Port and its fans (or at least the ones that didn't throw their support behind the Crows in 1991 as a sign of conceding and who no doubt switched back in 1997) wanted to get back at the Crows for what they feel was rightfully their spot in the big league. For the most part, Crows fans represented the fans from the other SANFL sides. In the Showdown era, each side have played off in a pair of GFs, and have won flags, and have even had a final together. There is a legit rivalry in Adelaide town.

There were no such dramas regarding the WA clubs. A composite side was formed with eventual success and then years later another side was formed to pay respects to Fremantle's football heritage (South, East, and defunct clubs in the WAFL), with many fans from the Eagles camp switching over without batting an eye, while others threw their support behind behind Freo but couldn't completely let go of 7 years of the support keeping an Eagle eye on West Coast (Freagles). There were a few "virgin" fans who did not care/want West Coast for waterering down the WAFL, and hopped on the alternative when that option was made available, but they were clearly outnumbered to even force any bitter hatred between the two sides. No matter how you looked at it, Fremantle was still a new club just like West Coast in '87. In the Derby era, Eagles have added another flag while Freo's cabinet is still empty. The rivalry is still very much a big brother/little brother deal and manufactured by Perth/WA media in an effort to boost any tension.... it's notable claims to fame were the 2000 Demolition Derby and the Selwood tattoo stuff in 2007, almost forgettable now.

Showdown wins hands down.

Last edited:
I think Crows vs Port.

No matter where they are on the ladder, the hatred just seems to be a rung above the WA hate.

The SA showdown is much better now as Port aren't as crap anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back