Podcast Sacked - Grant Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

He was among the first coaches to needlessly redefine football terms in corporate jargon. This act of sophistry lead many to view him as 'innovative'.

Wasn't the first and won't be the last to boldly declare ruckman a thing of the past. Wasn't the first and won't be the last to be wrong about that.

Agree it was better than Micks.

micks carlton one will be more interesting i think

he sidestepped and waffled on the pies one a bit, eg re buckley went on and on about who he is friends with and who came to dinner, just admit you hate bucks and move on

Grant Thomas has always had cultleader characteristics. He has the narcissism, he has the total self belief that he is always right and he has the force of delivery that makes the very few who have a want to buy into his totally self obsessed bulltish believe him.

Meanwhile the other 99.8% of the population just laugh at him and his "look at me" antics.

StKilda worked him out fairly quickly and got him outta there before he could imbed.

People like you just make s**t up because it's easier than thinking lol

I loved the Thomas era Saints, fast attacking attractive footy, really let our good players show their skills and use them to our advantage.

Not sure if was let down by a poor admin and board at the time or wether he contributed to it all.

GT and Ross were 180degrees in their philosophies, GT empowered the players, Ross used a strict and exacting system. Would GT have got to a GF, not sure, but would of loved to seen the alternate to Ross.

He's outspoken no doubt, He's been bang on about the umpires though, Attacking the AFL was never a smart move but it was something StKilda needed as well.

I don't know all the truths but I could imagine there's a fair bit truth being left out.

Hutchy and Barrett's comments about what Thomas' said regarding Blight's sacking etc are amusing. It starts about 14m20s into the podcast:

Just wanted to give you a shout out for having the funniest 'user name equated to avatar photo'. If Burzum put out an album with that face on the cover, I would buy it

I wonder what Varg would think about that....

On topic, I will have to give the podcast a listen, I've always enjoyed reading/listening to what Thomas had to say, I don't always agree with it, but he is not one to mince words and isn't afraid to say what people are thinking, which I admire as it's something that is lacking in todays footy coverage (and society as a whole).

Last edited:
The Guy McKenna episode is up today - really interesting listen. Seems like a top bloke
Just heard it. He talks bloody fast!

The way he described his sacking was just bizarre. So they're at the Brownlow and one of the Suns head honchos (Prez or CEO, I can't recall), is chatting with McKenna, together with a club lawyer. He invites McKenna and his Mrs out together for dinner, plus the lawyer and his partner. The lawyer knows the dinner is to give McKenna the sack, so he quickly declines. McKenna senses something is up, says it "smells like a last supper".

Then they come to sacking him, and he asks them why, but they couldn't explain why they were sacking him, as if they were doing it just for the sake of it.

FMD!

Sounds like he took it pretty well, has moved on, and doesn't hold any grudges. Comes across as a positive upbeat guy.

I don't mind Grant Thomas, He is unpredictable in what his opinion will be and he actually embraces some aspects of the modern game so he isn't always a 'back in my day everything was better' type of person to listen to.

St Kilda got flogged by 80 points in the qualifying final by Brisbane, they were never a chance in the grand final
Brisbane were cooked by the end of that finals series, St Kilda would have easily steamroller them at home in Melbourne being a fresher side. The QF was at home for Brisbane and they were in much better condition.

"Gee that's a late bump" - Jimmy Webster

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back