Autopsy Saints overrun the Hawks - Rd 4, 2019 *ST KILDA FANS KEEP OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I said I'll give a forward and backline reply but I'll digress and move onto the rucks... who I didn't mention on the midfield review.
Both terrible past the firstish quarter. Perhaps lucked a once of in the second.

Dominated hitouts yet after half way through the second Saints took double to us away.

Failed completely to hold onto a mark past half way through the second. The week before Big Boy was magnificent, this week he was average to poor in that area. Maybe they targeted him...but then they didn't target Cegs.

Ceg's was brilliant tackling or chasing guys down after another f up with a simple handpass but a failure too on the night. Learn to handpass and you would have had a super night. It's not that hard of a talent if you spend 40 hours a week with the team.

I was very forgiving to kids doing a man's job in the midfield. I don't think these two over the game made their life easier. I will completely admit Big Boy has had 3 very good rounds beforehand... and in saying that was perhaps ready for a slightly lower... or worse eventually standard game. So yes still happy with his season as a whole. But neither was great on Sunday.

Overall our rucks completely disappeared when it mattered in the second half. That was my take on them. Couldn't grab a mark to save themselves in the second half.

The ruckmen get the ball to the midfielders.

Our midfielders were 2 kids who have played less than 15 games.

The ruckmen get the ball to the midfielders.

Our midfielders were 2 kids who have played less than 15 games.

I think your agreeing me Davo23. So I'll take it as that. I said these two ruckman did not make our midfielders life easier. But anyway who knows. I haven't got to our two biggest problems the backline and forwardline... where we generally have senior players. The midfield I completely forgave due to their age and injuries making them basically be second year players being forced to do what others wouldn't, the ruckman have never been good in the ruck but McEvoy has been good around the ground. Maybe they didn't know what to do when they suddenly won a ruck tap out more that 50% who knows.

I'm ok with the midfield, ok that Clarko invest more in 'other players' than ruckman as well so did Allan Jeans, we have basically won every premiership in our teams lifetime with well not great ruckman. Been a Hawthorn way. Btw I love Don Scott but he was a midget ruckman in his era let alone now. Just had the worlds biggest ticker of his era to compete.

Yes we should be unbeaten. After Mitchell went down I thought he meant a loss of 4 games for us this season.
You can't tell me he wouldn't of won his fair share out of the middle to stop the Dogs comeback and certainly he would have given
our forwards a few chances in the last qtr yesterday. On the positive side Worpel was just terrific, my man Harry has his best game for the year and Cousins tried hard. Roughy was knackered from doing it in the middle and up forward,he's a warrior!
I posted early in the year that Mitchell was the best on in about 4 games we won by small margins last year. Its speculative, but we would have finished about 12th without him. Scrimshaw, Scully, Wingard are all moves in the right direction.

He's got a touch of the "Sucklings" with his kicking sometimes. Either nails a ripper or butchers it. Agree he also needs to go harder at times - appears a little lazy.
Have to say I was surprised that Sicily got coaches votes. There were some very soft efforts when the ball was in dispute and his (normally surgical) field kicking wasn't up to standard. I can't imagine the votes came from Clarko

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sic had 28 at half back. He was gassed. He’s going to make some errors. A lot of ball flows through him.

Yeah stacks of intercept marks and rebound 50s. His disposal has to be taken "the good with the bad" to a degree as he's one of the few really creative types we have than can break things up from what is a fairly vanilla playing group at the moment.

One thing I can say after having some time to dwell on this is, if you're going to get injuries it may as well happen at the start of the year.

Scully had an absolute ripper, Howe came back playing good footy, Worps put on 37!!!! pressure acts. Cousins fought through. Shiels, O'Meara and Mitchell are our three most experienced mids and we had none of them. We lost our two first up defenders by half way through the third quarter.

Even with the amount we drew out of our seconds outfit, they still managed to trounce Sandy with some of our youngsters playing very solid roles.

At its best, our side is capable of turning it on. Our third quarter bursts this year are something we haven't been able to do since 2015. If we can get back Shiels and Burgers, and keep Wings and Scully fit, we'll be challenging at the right part of the year.

No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, we started 2015 4/4 after all.

One thing I can say after having some time to dwell on this is, if you're going to get injuries it may as well happen at the start of the year.

Scully had an absolute ripper, Howe came back playing good footy, Worps put on 37!!!! pressure acts. Cousins fought through. Shiels, O'Meara and Mitchell are our three most experienced mids and we had none of them. We lost our two first up defenders by half way through the third quarter.

Even with the amount we drew out of our seconds outfit, they still managed to trounce Sandy with some of our youngsters playing very solid roles.

At its best, our side is capable of turning it on. Our third quarter bursts this year are something we haven't been able to do since 2015. If we can get back Shiels and Burgers, and keep Wings and Scully fit, we'll be challenging at the right part of the year.

No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, we started 2015 4/4 after all.

True enough. Need to make sure the damn walls don't burst over the next 4-6 weeks though.

Haven't looked at the draw beyond the Cats yet but need to manage to scrape out some wins through that stretch.

Any word on whether the AFL have ticked off that Mirra decision today?
For mine I feel the AFL don't need to make a call on that one decision in isolation, it was a 50/50 call for the umpire adjudicate as he wishes to interpret. So playing devil's advocate for one second the ump saw Mirra on the ground, dragged the ball under and not make enough effort to get rid of the ball.
My view is that the AFL umpires department need to ask themselves and the umpire in question were the same set of guidelines applied to the next contest in which a Saints player did the same thing only that the Saints player had just one tackler whilst at the Mirra contest he was opposed to three Saints player laying on him.
Consistent application of the same rule is the name of the game for good umpiring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To all the St Kilda lurkers, just leaving this here:
The following individual players (with their average ten year careers) have won more premierships at Hawthorn than the entirety of the St Kilda Football club has in its 120 years water treading. I mean, Peter Murnane FGS.

Tuck, Michael 7
Ayres, Gary 5
Brereton, Dermott 5
DiPierdomenico, Robert 5
Mew, Chris 5
Birchall, Grant 4
Buckenara, Gary 4
Dunstall, Jason 4
Eade, Rodney 4
Hodge, Luke 4
Kennedy, John 4
Langford, Chris 4
Lewis, Jordan 4
Matthews, Leigh 4
Mitchell, Sam 4
Platten, John 4
Rioli, Cyril 4
Roughead, Jarryd 4
Breust, Luke 3
Burgoyne, Shaun 3
Collins, Andrew 3
Dear, Greg 3
Gibson, Josh 3
Greene, Russell 3
Gunston, Jack 3
Hale, David 3
Hill, Bradley 3
Knights, Peter 3
Lake, Brian 3
Martello, Alan 3
Moore, Kelvin 3
Morrissey, James 3
Pritchard, Darrin 3
Puopolo, Paul 3
Schwab, Peter 3
Scott, Don 3
Shiels, Liam 3
Smith, Isaac 3
Stratton, Ben 3
Wallace, Terry 3
Abbott, Paul 2
Ablett, Geoff 2
Anderson, Dean 2
Bremner, Ian 2
Condon, Anthony 2
Curran, Peter 2
Duryea, Taylor 2
Franklin, Lance 2
Guerra, Brent 2
Hall, Tony 2
Hendrie, John 2
Loveridge, Richard 2
Maginness, Scott 2
McCarthy, Michael 2
McEvoy, Ben 2
Moncrieff, Michael 2
Murnane, Peter 2
O'Halloran, David 2
Paton, Ian 2
Polkinghorne, David 2
Rice, Leon 2
Russo, Peter 2
Sewell, Brad 2
Suckling, Matt 2
Wittman, Chris 2

Last edited:
To all the St Kilda lurkers, just leaving this here:
The following individual players (with their average ten year careers) have won more premierships at Hawthorn than the entirety of the St Kilda Football club has in its 120 years water treading. I mean, Peter Murnane FGS.

Tuck, Michael 7
Ayres, Gary 5
Brereton, Dermott 5
DiPierdomenico, Robert 5
Mew, Chris 5
Birchall, Grant 4
Buckenara, Gary 4
Dunstall, Jason 4
Eade, Rodney 4
Hodge, Luke 4
Kennedy, John 4
Langford, Chris 4
Lewis, Jordan 4
Matthews, Leigh 4
Mitchell, Sam 4
Platten, John 4
Rioli, Cyril 4
Roughead, Jarryd 4
Breust, Luke 3
Burgoyne, Shaun 3
Collins, Andrew 3
Dear, Greg 3
Gibson, Josh 3
Greene, Russell 3
Gunston, Jack 3
Hale, David 3
Hill, Bradley 3
Knights, Peter 3
Lake, Brian 3
Martello, Alan 3
Moore, Kelvin 3
Morrissey, James 3
Pritchard, Darrin 3
Puopolo, Paul 3
Schwab, Peter 3
Scott, Don 3
Shiels, Liam 3
Smith, Isaac 3
Stratton, Ben 3
Wallace, Terry 3
Abbott, Paul 2
Ablett, Geoff 2
Anderson, Dean 2
Bremner, Ian 2
Condon, Anthony 2
Curran, Peter 2
Duryea, Taylor 2
Franklin, Lance 2
Guerra, Brent 2
Hall, Tony 2
Hendrie, John 2
Loveridge, Richard 2
Maginness, Scott 2
McCarthy, Michael 2
McEvoy, Ben 2
Moncrieff, Michael 2
Murnane, Peter 2
O'Halloran, David 2
Paton, Ian 2
Polkinghorne, David 2
Rice, Leon 2
Russo, Peter 2
Sewell, Brad 2
Suckling, Matt 2
Wittman, Chris 2
Still lurking.

I have to say Grumbleguts that for a person with an IQ of 208 you aren't that switched on are you.

You lose to the Saints by 5 points in 2019 and are so shattered you feel the need to roll back to the stats of player who retired 28 years ago. So much for all the benefits of your success!!!

Almost confirms the very very unkind view held by many people that some Hawks supporters have the emotional resilience of a 30 yo mollycoddled millennial still living at home with mommy and daddy.

PS Rules of the Game - Holding the ball (1.07 onwards)

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-03-17/2017-laws-of-the-game-holding-the-ball

Now its onto next week and the Dee's for me.

Cheers and Go Saints

Still lurking.

I have to say Grumbleguts that for a person with an IQ of 208 you aren't that switched on are you.

You lose to the Saints by 5 points in 2019 and are so shattered you feel the need to roll back to the stats of player who retired 28 years ago. So much for all the benefits of your success!!!

Almost confirms the very very unkind view held by many people that some Hawks supporters have the emotional resilience of a 30 yo mollycoddled millennial still living at home with mommy and daddy.

Cheers and Go Saints

Go back to the beach & drift away please ... not really welcome here

The reality is that Hawthorn was consistently second to the ball.
Players arriving second and applying tackles will rarely get rewarded.
Yet our crowds scream BAAALLLL expecting a good tackle and incorrect disposal to be rewarded.
It isn't, and hasn't been for may years, so what's the point of expecting it.

The starting point has to be a Hawthorn player being first to the ball.
St.Kilda lead us to the ball from halfway throung the third quarter until the end of the game.
Sure you can blame injuries, lack of rotations, inexperience but don't blame the umpires.

Until we start getting our hands on the pill first we will remain reactive.
We will continue complaining about unrewarded tackles and frees paid to the ball carriers.
So maybe we're not reading the cues.
Maybe we're guilty of playing to what we hope will be the rules rather than how the game's being umpired.
Put simply Tackling is not a skill the AFL want to see rewarded

Just finally there's no doubt the umpires made a couple of howlers on the weekend but nothing compared to the number of howling skill errors our players committed.

Perhaps we need to look elsewhere for the answers rather than the umpires.

Still lurking.

Cheers and Go Saints
Hahaha! It's actually only 183, perhaps I added too much of a saints modifier to your IQ. I don't feel shattered at all on the contrary, having our reserves play against an almost full strength St Kilda side and almost gets the chocolates was quite enjoyable viewing. It isn't feeling shattered that compells me to post these things it's laughing at the league's absolute laughing stock and the hilarity associated with the fact that you guys front up year after year "supporting" a franchise whose main claim to fame is how pathetic it is. Burning dwarves and all that. No, no shatteredness here, just genuine pleasure at the fact that I can put the word "supporting" in quotes because it is the Hawthorn fans who support the saints, it's the memberships and revenue well run clubs that keeps pumping money into clubs that continually report financial losses. We are the St Kilda supporters.

By the way, if you really want to know what shattered feels like, compare the games of James Worpel and Hunter Clark. Clark was the player you guys got witht eh pick seven. remember that thread you guys had shitting on Hawthorn for an entire season, celebrating every single goal kicked against Hawthorn like it was a St Kilda premiership? remember the 100 of pages of rubbing your hands together like a 12 year old saying "dis gon' be gud" for an entire season. Remember how 36 picks after your pick 7, we picked up James Worpel? If I were going to feel shattered after Sunday, I'd be a St Kilda supporter looking at the stats sheet and wondering how the hell Hawthorn did it again.

Still lurking.

Cheers and Go Saints
....not sure how an Aint supporter can attempt to be clever to Hawthorn people with 27 wooden ones and 1 flag in 120 years, especially given our annual "equalisation" taxes helps your beloved Aints continue to exist ....just say thanks for allowing yourselves to exist and scram

....not sure how an Aint supporter can attempt to be clever to Hawthorn people with 27 wooden ones and 1 flag in 120 years, especially given our annual "equalisation" taxes helps your beloved Aints continue to exist ....just say thanks for allowing yourselves to exist and scram
Pretty much my response, except I don't believe the word beloved can exist here. How could anyone love that rabble. If I were made to support them, i don't know, if perhaps my family were genetically predisposed to insanity, or my kids were held over molten lava (even then I'd expect them to get themselves free) I wouldn't love that club. With the pain they'd have put me through I'd hate them with a disdain reserved for some of the worst torturers George R. R. Martin could dream up. What a disgraceful entity! You can only look on with the bemused resignation of a spectator watching a building being demolished with dynamite. Watching years of history being deliberately destroyed and wondering what could possibly have gone so wrong from the beginning that brought such an eyesore to this sad point.

If those planes had've hit the St Kilda football club instead of the world trade centre, we'd all have thought it was a planned demolition and quietly said to ourselves "yeah good call"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back