Toast Sam Menegola

Remove this Banner Ad

Can happen. For mine, Certainly not unhappy with his progress to this point.
He's playing ok but I'm not convinced he's the right guy to take into the finals.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but i thought he did well this week NOT giving hospital balls to team mates. It looked like he made an effort when in the clinches or under pressure to see if the receiver was under pressure and if they were he didnt give it. noticed it on a couple of posessions.

just a subtle nod to say i think he is taking all the instruction he gets on board

Not sure if this has been mentioned but i thought he did well this week NOT giving hospital balls to team mates. It looked like he made an effort when in the clinches or under pressure to see if the receiver was under pressure and if they were he didnt give it. noticed it on a couple of posessions.

just a subtle nod to say i think he is taking all the instruction he gets on board

Yes.

I think also its part due to natural improvement. Newbies often react too quickly (where pressure is perceived rather than real). Those poor handballs were probably due to that. Already he has learnt that he has a bit more time and last game he adjusted. Those who have watched 3 or 4 games of Menegola in the VFL as well, will be aware already, that handball is likely to be a strength not a weakness. Was great to see him kick fairly well on both sides too - that was a big knock people had. His kicking will never be elite (I don't think), but as quite a few have said it will be good enough for him to become a very good inside player.

Yep, some supporters get carried away.
[- responding to observations of hospital handpasses from Menegola]

Well Nakia I prefer to celebrate a very positive start for this bloke. I don't see how that is a bad thing.

It is early days and every body knows posts about Sam are made with that in mind. If in another 10-15 games he shows persistent skill deficiency I don't think many who see much good happening for him right now, will try to deny them. But thats for the future......... or not.

Last edited:
Is doing fine. Could've kicked 3 goals on the weekend, is clean with possession, just go watch his pick up at his ankles late in the 4th when a fumble there likely gives tigers the ball and a shot at goal. He got the ball to Joel who torped it forward, Hawkins took a 1 hander and we got a goal out of that play.

Is another hard body around the contest.

Is doing fine. Could've kicked 3 goals on the weekend, is clean with possession, just go watch his pick up at his ankles late in the 4th when a fumble there likely gives tigers the ball and a shot at goal. He got the ball to Joel who torped it forward, Hawkins took a 1 hander and we got a goal out of that play.

Yep that was huge. From 6:25 in this clip. Great from Menegola and a bunch of others leading to the goal.

We're going to have a bunch of guys new to finals or playing their first finals as a Cat this year. That's good. We were nowhere near good enough the last couple of years. Menegola is an unknown entity in that situation but we have to put faith in he and a few others to get the job done.

Yeah, that half volley pick up was crucial. Good stuff.
That 1/2 volley below the knees was all class. Massively important at the time and clean as a whistle. Not to be understated.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On exposed form, our bottom 6 is better with him in it.

No disrespect to him - player #22 gets a premierhsip medal too.

And I'm quite sure 22 of 22 is fine with him

Go Catters

Yep, some supporters get carried away.
Done alot of really nice things. Ripper second efforts etc for that goal. But, conversely nearly cost us the game by not taking the first option in the dying seconds.

On exposed form, our bottom 6 is better with him in it.

No disrespect to him - player #22 gets a premierhsip medal too.

And I'm quite sure 22 of 22 is fine with him

Go Catters

That is true but I wouldn't say Menegola is #22 of 22 (if that's what you were saying apologies if I misread). In terms of an elite endurance midfielder I would have Menegola over Blicavs already (Blitz much better as 2nd ruck/midfielder but he simply can't be with Smith/Stanley in).

Menegola performed well + didn't look out of place in big games vs Crows & the Bulldogs, plus he stepped up in last quarter vs Tiges when the pressure was on which was fantastic to see. Plus disposal efficiency doesn't seem to be as bad as what we thought/heard it might have been.

I'd already have him in our 2nd group of centre bounce rotations. First group Danger & the Selwood Bros. Second group Caddy, Menegola & Guthrie.

Keep it up Sammy!

That is true but I wouldn't say Menegola is #22 of 22 (if that's what you were saying apologies if I misread). In terms of an elite endurance midfielder I would have Menegola over Blicavs already (Blitz much better as 2nd ruck/midfielder but he simply can't be with Smith/Stanley in).

Menegola performed well + didn't look out of place in big games vs Crows & the Bulldogs, plus he stepped up in last quarter vs Tiges when the pressure was on which was fantastic to see. Plus disposal efficiency doesn't seem to be as bad as what we thought/heard it might have been.

I'd already have him in our 2nd group of centre bounce rotations. First group Danger & the Selwood Bros. Second group Caddy, Menegola & Guthrie.

Keep it up Sammy!

Not specifically #22 no - but hes in the bottom 6 - point being he makes that group better - and that is really what we need. A better bottom 6.

Go Catters

Done alot of really nice things. Ripper second efforts etc for that goal. But, conversely nearly cost us the game by not taking the first option in the dying seconds.
That's my concern, and my concern with Ruggles. They're both playing ok but I'm not convinced their mind will work quick enough when the pressure is doubled in finals.

That's my concern, and my concern with Ruggles. They're both playing ok but I'm not convinced their mind will work quick enough when the pressure is doubled in finals.
There's only one way to find out.

I like the call that he makes our bottom 6 better, which is what often wins premierships.

Loved his goal in the last quarter on the weekend. When those around him were kicking points he went in, got the hard ball and took ownership of the moment. Scooter was big keeping us in the game in the first half and Menegola came up big i spots in that last quarter. Nothing more I can really ask of these two lads TBH and if these two are our 4-5-6 midfielders I feel a lot more confident than I did a month ago. Really hope they continue to improve and get up to game speed in the next couple of weeks.

Tend to agree - I think it's a risk with all the inexperienced guys - Ruggles , Menegola , Macca , Cowan, Cocky and Kolo
Think it will make them rather than break them though - hopefully the mental strength will be up to it - one thing though there's a bit of hardness about all of them which I like very muchly :thumbsu::thumbsu:

I think we are talking bottom 6 here.

If you want top 6 reactions from bottom 6 players in finals you will always be disappointed. The posters above who are happy that our bottom six skills look better have a very good point.

He's gotta stay in the team imo. A nice mid rotation. I wouldn't be suprised if he were to bob up in the best players during a finals game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back