Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

The way several of our greats and legends left the club has left a sour taste in everyone's mouth.

Having those relationships mended and bringing those players back to the club is very important for our culture and the overall rebuild, IMO.

Even if Mitchell ends up ultimately being an unsuccessful coach on the field, we can say that at least he's played a huge part in these off the field improvements (including opening the club up to the media as well).

I watched and enjoyed the video.

I think there may be a clue to an issue or two at the club in it as well.

Maybe, just maybe the younger guys are over 'when I played for Hawthorn' from Sam.

When Sam addressed the group at the 20.00 mark - have a look at a couple of the blokes in the front row.

They really didn't seem all that engaged.

It's great to use info from your past, especially when you were as good as Sam, but with Gunston, Breust, Hale, Roughead, Young etc etc all still around the club now, maybe Sams gone to the well too many times?

Some of the guys were very young when they played, so the significance will be drastically reduced to them.

I looked at the group being addressed, and it seemed a few were disinterested.

Maybe, just maybe the younger guys are over 'when I played for Hawthorn' from Sam.

When Sam addressed the group at the 20.00 mark - have a look at a couple of the blokes in the front row.

It's great to use info from your past, especially when you were as good as Sam, but with Gunston, Breust, Hale, Roughead, Young etc etc all still around the club now, maybe Sams gone to the well too many times?

Some of the guys were very young when they played, so the significance will be drastically reduced to them.

Despite the fact that you don’t see the players when Mitchell is talking or after he is talking around that 20.00 mark?

Ok mate

Yeah, this is true. I remember Gowers was on a podcast explaining about when he was pretty much told to find a new home and he left Hawthorn for the Lions. He felt like he was unloved until Ian Dicker got in contact with him years later and brought him back into the fold.
He said that he really appreciated that and I think this is something that he’s been wanting to do with other ex-players.
Yeah, he reiterated this during the members meeting prior to the Port game last year. He's committed to bringing the ex-players back to the family club.

Despite the fact that you don’t see the players when Mitchell is talking or after he is talking around that 20.00 mark?

Ok mate

Bit of a worry that he thinks Andy Collins is Sam Mitchell.

Yeah It's Collins

Go screenshot the 20 min mark and tell me I'm wrong.

Bit of a worry that he thinks Andy Collins is Sam Mitchell.

Or just makes s**t up

Go look, come back and tell me what you see.

You don't think there are problems at Hawthorn currently? Poor training, 1-6 record, and player playing badly?

There have to be reasons.

So I'm asking a few questions, which apparently have triggered you both.

Lets see how they go on Sunday.

You will both be there won't you?

I know I haven't missed a home game this year, how about you two?

Yeah It's Collins

You don't think there are problems at Hawthorn currently? Poor training, 1-6 record, and player playing badly?

Your wrong that you thought Andy Collins was Sam Mitchell

Not exactly trusting in your eyesight or opinions

I think there is a personnel issue currently, due to injury to 3 of our potential back 6, injury to our main key forward and 2 of our smalls

Congrats on going to all the home games, proud of you

I’ve spend the weekends dealing with a personal issue, but I guess that doesn’t make me as good a hawthorn supporter as you

Yeah It's Collins

We were hardly triggered - we were disagreeing with your flimsy premise. Don't wander onto an internet forum if people not being your personal echo chamber is going to rustle your jimmies.

Have fun at the game on Sunday. Also, you were once again slightly wrong as this isn't a home game. Glad you get to go, though - being that my 2 year old son goes to bed at 6:30 I will be there for his dinner, bath and putting him to bed because spending time with him comes before a footy game. Like BH23 - I am going to concede that you are clearly the more loyal and dedicated supporter despite not knowing what Sam Mitchell looks like.

I think this is called confirmation bias.

I think you're projecting. The group, including all those visible in the front row were simply quietly listening and responded appropriately with a laugh when Andy ran over to hug Changa.

Not sure what you're expecting from the players? Leaning forward on the edge of their seats, eyes and mouths open in awe and wonder with each word?

I think you're projecting. The group, including all those visible in the front row were simply quietly listening and responded appropriately with a laugh when Andy ran over to hug Changa.

Not sure what you're expecting from the players? Leaning forward on the edge of their seats, eyes and mouths open in awe and wonder with each word?

If you're not reacting like this to a 50 year old bloke talking about another bloke you've never met then are you really deserving of being a footy player?

No Way Reaction GIF by Laff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. That’s the new generation man, if it’s not about them, they’re tuning out. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t still do it to honour the past.

I’m up for bashing Gen Z as much as anyone - but it’s any generation of 18-20 year olds I’m sure they were listening and taking it in but I’m hardly going to hold it against them if it wasn’t the brightest part of their day.

People don't like positive stats, but heck it...

Hawthorn had another 15 marks inside 50 today.

Prior to the game we sat 6th in the comp for Marks inside 50 and 6th for Inside 50's.

We've not had our own way at the stoppages at all this year, but our system and plan clearly works, even with key players injured.

People don't like positive stats, but * it...

Prior to the game we sat 6th in the comp for Marks inside 50 and 6th for Inside 50's.

We've not had our own way at the stoppages at all this year, but our system and plan clearly works, even with key players injured.

1714903645961.jpeg

People don't like positive stats, but * it...

Scores and just general play from turnover was a lot more emphasised to, looked like we really pushed for it more

We’re still 6th in the comp for Marks inside 50 per entry, and it might surprise many to know that we’re also 6th in the comp for Inside 50’s.

Combine that with how we’re rated for transition footy, and our midfield being beaten most weeks it actually has me excited about what we might be able to do once we start to gel and work together in the middle.
Not to mention we have faced 4 of the top 5 sides in the comp as well

Very interesting insight.

View attachment 1980638
Love this.

It's one thing to play your way and get the win against a side who couldn't ever really get their own game going.

But for it to stand up against a more experienced side who simultaneously had their own game going strong just shows that our gameplan is one that could eventually win a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back