Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
for disclosure my wife is a 10year plus police member currently on mat leave she has no ties to this case and we are almost as far away from Ballarat as can be.

We rarely talk about her work due to the mental toll it takes on her. She’s been to countless suicides , fatal accidents and even found a baby in a bag on the beach so we try and leave her work at work.

We sat down last night to watch this and this is no different to what was said last night but within the first segment she said it’s not a health episode, she’s been a target attack and police either already know who has done it or at least have a small list of suspects but they need more evidence.

She said with data tracking like they said last night they know her exact movements, heart rate , pace etc that’s the beauty of data phones and watches they can ping point the exact slot where the data ends. If there has been any change in her movements , heart rate etc it’s recorded.

You can destroy devices but there is cloud storage and storage from company they can get access to. Just because you wipe browsing history or delete texts etc doesn’t mean it’s gone forever. Which is what they said last night.

Anyone in the area that’s had a phone on them or a data watch or even most modern day cars are trackable with the GPS so they could pin anyone within a radius of where her data stops whether it’s any cars that are parked on the road closest to the area or anyone going through that area.
Sounds like it's only a matter of time before an arrest

I agree 100%. I think there were big messages in this UI segment tonight for those responsible, and for those who so far haven’t come forward with information.

Seems they have a huge amount of digital information, they think it was targeted occurrence, probably 2 people involved, and that she’s been removed from the scene at Mt Clear. Also that police probably do have a clear idea of who’s responsible, just a matter of filling the gaps.

They also gave attention in consideration of who might have access to her apps, running paths etc. and ask the public to come forward with information.

Hopefully it’ll be solved soon 🙏
I haven't watched the episode but the most interesting elements of your post to me are police thinking two people are involved and who may have access to her apps

To add to the post to if your into fitness whether its running, riding , swimming whatever more often than not your a data person you always check times, splits, map of the run, look at where you slowed down or increased speed and look for improvements or consistency. Most people would do this with a fully charged phone and watch to cover this, even if she had a medical episode most phones and watches can last for days if not used. My Garmin watch can last up to 5 days without a charge. These would have pinged on the data map if she had an episode , if by somehow she fell into a mineshaft then the data would ping her at the location where the mine shaft was located so they would only have a small selection of mine shafts to search if they can access them.

Most fitness watches need to sync with a phone to pull the data. I might be wrong about this but I suspect they've found her watch.

Not sure but if you've got the cellular apple watch does it sync all the health data to the cloud ongoing or just when you save an activity type scenario?

With the newer versions Apple Watches they have a function if you have a fall, dropped down a mine or accident the watch requires the wearer to click they are ok & if no response they call emergency services & report fall/accident & give coordinates. They also advise your emergency contacts that you have listed.

With the newer versions Apple Watches they have a function if you have a fall, dropped down a mine or accident the watch requires the wearer to click they are ok & if no response they call emergency services & report fall/accident & give coordinates. They also advise your emergency contacts that you have listed.

Yes, I think it was data they collected from the watch which has them certain enough there was no medical problem.

A friend of mine got an Apple watch for Christmas years ago and triggered the 'fall' alert. She had no idea there was one so it must have come preloaded and activated.

I read a couple of quotes which I think were from extended family saying "she went for a walk" and she was "walking", which at the time, I thought were incorrect. But now I think maybe she wasn't the great runner she is being depicted as here and by media. The impression was that she had just started running again and there was some quote about her getting ready for a charity fun run. I'm thinking that she may well have just begun by simply getting fit by walking. Anyway, believe whatever you want.
When OP said this was "poor journalism", I thought I had better find the quotes just to prove to myself that I didn't imagine them.

You can call Ch 7 and Ch 9 poor journalism if you like, but they are the best thing we have to main stream media.

However, in a Facebook post a family member said: “Samantha’s phone pinging that far away from home is not usual. Yes, she walked in different directions, but she kept to the paths, never went for more than 10k total roughly and would let family know if she was walking further.”

Friend reveals new details about woman who vanished while jogging

“It was soon after 7am on Sunday morning when mother of three Samantha Murphy set out for a 15km jog along a nearby forest trail.

She is a regular runner who was training for a 21km fun run.”

The scenarios police are probing to investigate the disappearance of Samantha Murphy

There is another quote that I haven't been able to find, from a family member, saying she did "run walking" or a similar term.

Not sure but if you've got the cellular apple watch does it sync all the health data to the cloud ongoing or just when you save an activity type scenario?
Yes it syncs to the cloud if you set it up to do so (most folks do this by default) which is probably how the police got the data, as I don't believe they have her actual watch.

Unfortunately the implication of cloud sync is that the data may be accessed without the owner's knowledge or permission. So a stalker may have been able to track her run history, or even realtime whereabouts.

However, in a Facebook post a family member said: “Samantha’s phone pinging that far away from home is not usual. Yes, she walked in different directions, but she kept to the paths, never went for more than 10k total roughly and would let family know if she was walking further.”
How would a family member know how far away or which towers Samantha's phone usually pinged? They might know where she ran, but phones can ping towers many km away, and often multiple towers. Where exactly was "that far away from home"?

How would a family member know how far away or which towers Samantha's phone usually pinged? They might know where she ran, but phones can ping towers many km away, and often multiple towers. Where exactly was "that far away from home"?
Well, the obvious answers is either the person read it on MSM or the Police told them.

What difference does that make? What I was saying is that she is described as "WALKING" not running, that is the point of the post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, the obvious answers is either the person read it on MSM or the Police told them.

What difference does that make? What I was saying is that she is described as "WALKING" not running, that is the point of the post.
I'm just trying to work out where exactly this ping was supposed to place her phone. They can't be talking about the latest search zone, because that is exactly where she usually ran/walked/jogged. What ping are they talking about, what tower, when, and where are they implying the ping came from if it was much further away than she was expected to be?

I'm just trying to work out where exactly this ping was supposed to place her phone. They can't be talking about the latest search zone, because that is exactly where she usually ran/walked/jogged. What ping are they talking about, what tower, when, and where are they implying the ping came from if it was much further away than she was expected to be?
No, this was an article published shortly after she went missing.

She's in training, so probably jogging/running.

That’s a good point. Might be why they made a point of showing the watch on the program.
Nothing more than a general observation, but every time they showed that watch laying on the map, I thought how interesting and clever the placement was, with it clearly drawing attention to the Recreation Road and Boak Road names in focus just below the main body/face of the watch. It was shown so many times, I think anyone watching that was involved must surely have been feeling uncomfortable.

They mentioned that the phone can still show a signal without a sim so I wonder if they are tracking the phone or know where it is but want to find a body first before they arrest

Watching Under Investigation again and Marrett asks the tech guy, referring to the watch 'If they've had this data you think, from the start, why wait for 18 days to go to the 7km point?'

And the tech guy says 'Maybe they were watching and waiting to see if the perpetrators went back to that spot.'

Interesting, he also used the word 'perpetrators' in the plural.

Why shouldn't Sissy be invited onto this panel? As a woman who was viciously attacked in the same area whilst running a year ago.
She gave some victimology which seemed to surprise some of the other panel members, that things that you say you would do if told about the story are not necessarily the things you would do because of fear or freezing. Forgetting you have a phone on you. Everyone thinks they would do something different.

But does need to have a sim (cellular model), or be attached to a phone. Non cellular without a phone won’t trigger.

But does need to have a sim (cellular model), or be attached to a phone. Non cellular without a phone won’t trigger.

Under Investigation in the first few seconds, made the introduction with a woman running in the forest, then focused on her Apple watch.

They also made a point of revealing Sissy was looking for her phone after she was attacked and forgot for a moment it was on her body, then UI showed a hidden pocket.

It has me wondering if Sam was attacked, her watch was removed but they didn't initially realise she had a phone as hidden under her clothing. So the watch was separated from her body and with it, separated from the phone.

They may have found her watch at the 7km point.

I wouldn't bother with a sim for my watch, unless it was the kind of watch I could text and make calls on.

Under Investigation in the first few seconds, made the introduction with a woman running in the forest, then focused on her Apple watch.

They also made a point of revealing Sissy was looking for her phone after she was attacked and forgot for a moment it was on her body, then UI showed a hidden pocket.

It has me wondering if Sam was attacked, her watch was removed but they didn't initially realise she had a phone as hidden under her clothing. So the watch was separated from her body and with it, separated from the phone.

They may have found her watch at the 7km point.

I wouldn't bother with a sim for my watch, unless it was the kind of watch I could text and make calls on.
Perhaps a sim card is part of the 'small pieces of evidence' the police said they were looking for when they returned to the search area.

Like discussed earlier in this forum, Sam may of had a running belt which are essentially a phone size pocket on a strap. They are usually worn against the body under your running top to prevent them bouncing around. Possibly where her phone was? Would have been hidden from view under clothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back