Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
I don’t have a theory. I think it’s likely that he did it, however I don’t know it as a “fact” that he did, nor that he was off his face if/when he did.

We know nothing about the circumstances or what evidence the police have yet, so throwing around what you know as a fact, is bullshit quite frankly.

And I’m not protecting him or trying to make myself feel better. If he is found guilty in a court of law, to hell with him. That’s when the “facts” will come out.
Exactly, it's all just speculation at this stage.
The cops said it wasn't a hit and run but was a deliberate case of murder.
That's their take on it. That's their theory.
From the news of what the traffic offences were that came out today, I was absolutely horrified that it's possible someone the police could have kept off the road mowed down Samantha and killed her in the same drug-fuelled state as police saw him in a few months prior, for which I think he should have lost his licence to drive.
It's wrong of someone on this thread to state as a fact that POS is a murderer just because he's been charged.
Until the judge or jury delivers a verdict in a year or so you're welcome to have a theory.
The only facts to date that I can see are Samantha's missing and a young man has been charged with her murder.
How and why he did it are theories.
I hope my whacky theory is wrong that POS was caught by police but they let him keep his licence and a few months later POS killed a jogger after going on yet another bender. And that is an absolutely dumb situation by police and POS, if that's the case.
In other words extrapolating from the three charges that emerged today, I think it is a tragedy that could have been avoided.

Exactly, what the hell was that about. Did police allow POS to go about doing the same things and only charged him for those offences after POS allegedly murdered someone. Culpability comes to mind. If POS had lost his MDL if he committed those very serious traffic offences, perhaps he would not have been driving home the morning Samantha Murphy went for a run.
I’m unsure if whether he had his license at the time is relevant to an alleged murder. If he allegedly drove under the influence, what’s to stop him driving unlicensed?

If he allegedly drove under the influence, what’s to stop him driving unlicensed?
That's the thing, you see.
Most people do not drive when they lose their licence.
It's often the case where if you are dumb enough to get caught driving three times without a licence then you go to jail.
I believe there are countries where you go to jail on the first DUI offence and I'd like to see that in Australia and if that was the case then it's possible Samantha would still be alive today if the allegations against PS are true and he went to prison after he crashed his motorbike into a tree.
I don't care if others can call me whacky, have strange ideas, have little rants...they don't share my views and I don't share theirs but everyone's entitled to an opinion.

It's often the case where if you are dumb enough to get caught driving three times without a licence then you go to jail.
I believe there are countries where you go to jail on the first DUI offence and I'd like to see that in Australia and if that was the case then it's possible Samantha would still be alive today if the allegations against PS are true and he went to prison after he crashed his motorbike into a tree.
I don't care if others can call me whacky, have strange ideas, have little rants...they don't share my views and I don't share theirs but everyone's entitled to an opinion.
I think you're hitting on a point, but it's getting confused because you're referring to as "dumb".

The disregard for the law that a person gets caught for something but keeps on doing it is really important. It gives a sense of entitlement and lack of respect for social conventions.

From there you can build a case for the type of (e.g. antisocial, narcissistic, psychopathic) of personality that might go on to murder an innocent person.

You’re entitled to your opinion and I was only referring to your comment.
I was just noting that he could have still been driving even if he didn’t have his license.

Ballarat News Team

1 Oct 2023 •
Emergency services were called to a report a motorcycle rider had crashed in Ballarat Central this morning....
Emergency services arrived on scene at the intersection of Skipton Street and Armstrong Street South at approximately 1:50am (Sunday)
Ambulance Victoria has confirmed to Ballarat News Team that: paramedics were called to a incident around 1:50am and treated a man in his 20s who suffered upper body injuries and was taken to Ballarat Hospital in a stable condition.

Last edited:
Ballarat News Team

1 Oct 2023 •
Emergency services were called to a report a motorcycle rider had crashed in Ballarat Central this morning....
Emergency services arrived on scene at the intersection of Skipton Street and Armstrong Street South at approximately 1:50am (Sunday)
Ambulance Victoria has confirmed to Ballarat News Team that: paramedics were called to a incident around 1:50am and treated a man in his 20s who suffered upper body injuries and was taken to Ballarat Hospital in a stable condition.

The bike in this incident is a 2010 BLACK KAWASAKI KLR650

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if that information had already been shared here. I found it on Ballarat news teams Facebook page, the date, his age, type of vehicle align so I feel like it would be POS’s incident. The time of the incident at 1.50am makes sense if he was out partying and I assume he was going to continue down Armstrong st which would probably be the route he would take to his place to avoid going on Main Road.

Also if his readings were low, there’s some misinformation here about the timeframe for receiving a summons. Generally they are received the following month however it’s not unusual for it to take between 6-8 months to be received. It really depends on the charging officer.

Last edited:

Police allege he crashed into a tree while riding a motorbike in the Ballarat area.

When police arrived on the scene, he failed a breath test and a further drug test at Ballarat police station returned positive.

He was charged with drink driving, drug driving and careless driving offences.
I find this very strange if what’s reported here is true ( slapped with additional charges while behind bars).
Maybe the ‘additional charges’ are not the drink / drug driving charges, but something else to do with that accident.

If not, why would they wait 8 months after the offence to lay drink / drug driving charges ? That is usually an instant charge. … and an instant disqualification… and is certainly not good policing to leave someone of that risk on the roads ( as I think MrsBlueSkys has been suggesting)

Then what is the actual offence / charges relating to this incident? And why were none laid at the time?
Drink / drug / careless driving all still apply anywhere.

But your 2nd question is the Big One in my opinion. … and even more so very confusing, given there appears to be another PS facing traffic charges

I find this very strange if what’s reported here is true ( slapped with additional charges while behind bars).
Maybe the ‘additional charges’ are not the drink / drug driving charges, but something else to do with that accident.

If not, why would they wait 8 months after the offence to lay drink / drug driving charges ? That is usually an instant charge. … and an instant disqualification… and is certainly not good policing to leave someone of that risk on the roads ( as I think MrsBlueSkys has been suggesting)
If the BAC is within low reading range it’s not an automatic loss of licence. Drug samples also require further testing at a Lab even though the on-site devices are basically close to 100% accurate these days.

If the BAC is within low reading range it’s not an automatic loss of licence. Drug samples also require further testing at a Lab even though the on-site devices are basically close to 100% accurate these days.
In addition to that, I believe it was a low level reading as Operation Scoreboard was underway that weekend. All the major driving offences were summarised & none of those individuals fit POS’s description

Perhaps it's the police inability to find any other compelling evidence relating to the SM case?
Police want to build up a "body of work" to suggest (to the public via the media) they 'must have' the right man in this case.
Compare a case where the alleged offender has a 'clean' (or unknown) record with one where there is a history of other offences (no matter how old or how relevant) ... there is no way a jury can be oblivious to this stuff when it's all over the media.
In this forum alone, many have made their mind up that the accused is a 'bad egg' with drug and alcohol issues, antisocial behaviour etc, without any hard evidence, or anything which links these behaviours directly to the SM murder.

If you throw enough mud, some of it is gonna stick.

Perhaps it's the police inability to find any other compelling evidence relating to the SM case?
Police want to build up a "body of work" to suggest (to the public via the media) they 'must have' the right man in this case.
Compare a case where the alleged offender has a 'clean' (or unknown) record with one where there is a history of other offences (no matter how old or how relevant) ... there is no way a jury can be oblivious to this stuff when it's all over the media.
In this forum alone, many have made their mind up that the accused is a 'bad egg' with drug and alcohol issues, antisocial behaviour etc, without any hard evidence, or anything which links these behaviours directly to the SM murder.

If you throw enough mud, some of it is gonna stick.
So you reckon the police are trying to influence the public and the jury to get a conviction? Don't think so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back