Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
I suspect the likelihood is that the traffic/DUI case was pending, and the courts simply scheduled the two hearings together in the interests of logistics. Transporting a prisoner from Melbourne to Ballarat takes time and resources.

Although, one wonders why they didn't schedule it for Video Link ************************

Although I suppose it's possible that the traffic/DUI case is now related to the SM case because POS was found to have driven his work ute unlicenced to transport the body somewhere.
Quite possible the two are related.

Quite possible the two are related.
Of course, he may have called the matter on; he's slotted for the foreseable future unless he gets bail so he's tried to get the matter heard now so he serves the disqualifaction period whislt he's on remand.

Back in the dim dark days when fines had a default inprisonment if not paid, remand prisoners often called in outstanding matters whist on remand (especially if the thought they would get off)

How is it possible that a DUI back in October 2023 is related to SM's disappearance in February 2024?

The proof that he uses illicit drugs, stimulants for this to work, might be useful for the prosecution to neutralize a defence that he was in bed sleeping off a Sunday morning hangover after partying the night before.

It becomes more possible that he was there and if so, goes to his state of mind.

How is it possible that a DUI back in October 2023 is related to SM's disappearance in February 2024?
Related meaning it will be interesting to see if the accused had his license at the time of the alleged murder or even at the time he had the accident on the motorbike and, as mentioned earlier obviously using his criminal history (traffic offences) against him if/when this goes to trial.

Related meaning it will be interesting to see if the accused had his license at the time of the alleged murder or even at the time he had the accident on the motorbike and, as mentioned earlier obviously using his criminal history (traffic offences) against him if/when this goes to trial.

It will be a jury trial in Victoria, so the jury shouldn't hear about his criminal priors until after the verdict and at sentencing.

Unless, as Run n Spread has suggested, the prosecution can have his priors admitted as propensity evidence.

If the prosecution intends to prosecute the case as POS intentionally hitting Samantha with his vehicle, they will try imo.

It will be a jury trial in Victoria, so the jury shouldn't hear about his criminal priors until after the verdict and at sentencing.

Unless, as Run n Spread has suggested, the prosecution can have his priors admitted as propensity evidence.

If the prosecution intends to prosecute the case as POS intentionally hitting Samantha with his vehicle, they will try imo.
All I can think of. I remember the day as it was 40 degrees and I was driving south west on the day and spent it at a family BBQ outdoors.
Remember hearing a woman was missing and my immediate thought was medical episode and something went wrong in the heat.
After a couple of days no sight my suspicion has been a panic hit run since
It could be a random attack that has happened but on a Sunday morning???
Who knows maybe no vehicle is involved and we are all blindfolded by something else. No one is saying anything

All I can think of. I remember the day as it was 40 degrees and I was driving south west on the day and spent it at a family BBQ outdoors.
Remember hearing a woman was missing and my immediate thought was medical episode and something went wrong in the heat.
After a couple of days no sight my suspicion has been a panic hit run since
It could be a random attack that has happened but on a Sunday morning???
Who knows maybe no vehicle is involved and we are all blindfolded by something else. No one is saying a thing
Special thoughts today for Samantha and all other mothers taken away to early by others.

A sad day for some people
Very sad there is no closure. And sad all round.

The proof that he uses illicit drugs, stimulants for this to work, might be useful for the prosecution to neutralize a defence that he was in bed sleeping off a Sunday morning hangover after partying the night before.

It becomes more possible that he was there and if so, goes to his state of mind.
You and others seem to be jumping to the conclusion that SM's death is somehow related to both a motor vehicle and drug /alcohol abuse by the offender. There is not a shred of evidence of this.

You and others seem to be jumping to the conclusion that SM's death is somehow related to both a motor vehicle and drug /alcohol abuse by the offender. There is not a shred of evidence of this.

Nobody's claimed to know how Samantha died in here, so how is it jumping to conclusions?

Only thing is to speculate on theories at this point. It could be anything and/or POS maybe completely innocent. Who knows? Vehicle my theory is all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the accused is found guilty, it’s possible that a motor vehicle was involved somehow, unless the police are alleging that the accused has carried SM away.

Nobody's claimed to know how Samantha died in here, so how is it jumping to conclusions?
Because you somehow believe there is a connection between the DUI and SM, and that the DUI somehow provides evidence of guilt. But there's no reason to believe this, as there is no such evidence. Just assumption.

Of course a vehicle must be involved IF Samantha died at Mt Clear and her body was moved elsewhere. But again, neither of these have been proven. We don't know cause of death, and we don't know her final resting place.

Of course a vehicle must be involved IF Samantha died at Mt Clear and her body was moved elsewhere. But again, neither of these have been proven. We don't know cause of death, and we don't know her final resting place.
There's no evidence to suggest that a vehicle "must" have been involved as you say and how do you surmise that her body was moved elsewhere?
Why do you rebuke other theories when you have your own.

Because you somehow believe there is a connection between the DUI and SM, and that the DUI somehow provides evidence of guilt. But there's no reason to believe this, as there is no such evidence. Just assumption.

I'm clearly theorising. I won't believe or 'know' anything until the trial and the evidence is tested.

There's no evidence to suggest that a vehicle "must" have been involved as you say and how do you surmise that her body was moved elsewhere?
Why do you rebuke other theories whe
How else could a body be moved without anyone seeing?

No evidence a vehicle was involved. However, police seize vehicle and charge POS with murder within hours of each other. Don't have to be the brightest flame to connect the dots on thst
Yes and they were looking for a damaged car in the first few weeks.

How do you know a body was moved and how do you know nobody saw it?
I don't know anything. Read what I wrote. I was commenting on what the police are alleging.
The police are alleging SM was killed at Mt Clear. They haven't found any trace of her body at Mt Clear despite extensive searches. They also allege POS acted alone.
I said, IF what the police allege is true, then SM must have been moved from Mt Clear, or her body would have been close to where she was allegedly killed. It is not physically possible for a single person to move an adult body any distance in a short space of time without a vehicle. Therefore, IF what the police allege actually happened, it is entirely reasonable to assume there must have been a vehicle involved in the movement of her body. Unless you or police can explain how this was done.

Alternate explanations: Police are incorrect, OR SM wasn't killed at Mt Clear, OR POS didn't do it, OR someone else was involved. Any of these are possibilities as there is no direct evidence proving any of them.

How do you know a body was moved and how do you know nobody saw it?
If she'd been left where she was killed her body would have been found. Say she was hit by a car (which the police say didn't happen), her body would have been found by the side of the road. Say he didn't hit her with the car but got out and during an argument she died (or was at least badly injured). She had to have been taken somewhere, dead or alive, and has yet to be found.

Maybe he put her in the car, intending to take her to a hospital, then stopped and found she'd died. So he took her somewhere he hoped she'd never be found.

Pure speculation of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back