Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Searches didn't begin immediately did they? Plenty of ways to access the area.
Official searches commenced the next day, but she was expected back around 9am, so people were looking for her from around that time and they knew where she had gone - (Canadian / Mt Clear). On a Sunday morning there are regular walkers along all those trails. Hiding a body takes some time and effort. If she was not immediately removed from the area where the alleged incident/attack/encounter with somebody took place, then a passer-by would almost certainly have seen something. And it would have been far too risky to hide her in a temporary location and return to the 'scene of the crime' later the same day, as there were likely still searchers in the area, or at least people on heightened awareness that a woman was missing in the Mt Clear Forest.

He got caught and very quickly so it's entirely possible he did something risky like move the body (witnessed by somebody and putting him on the police's radar).

Also there would be huge pressure to find Sam and find out quickly what happened and where she was.
It would be an emergency situation. Plus so much to investigate
Financial problems the marriage an affair potential enemies and disputes. Nothing happening a tip off comes police zeronin and you've got charges.
Mistakes would understandably be made things missed initially. Investigations aren't perfect and mistakes can be made. Some bigger and some smaller.
Another possibility is they've completely got the wrong person.
Guess it will eventually go to court

Heya,

Sometimes things are just as they seem. He might just be a socially awkward weirdo. Or he could be the one responsible, you never know, right? They had their sights set on Lance and were absolutely convinced he was the CSK, and we all know how that story played out.

I'll tell you a little about my story though. I met my ex and we had a relationship that moved pretty quick in the beginning. In hindsight I was manipulated and have never, ever encountered anyone that made me feel so bad about myself. He twisted things and there was gas-lighting. Took me about 5 attempts to leave the relationship. We had 2 kids together and it was one of the most difficult situations I have ever been in. This man is very socially awkward, can get jobs, can't hold them, has been pulled in to HR and taken to court too many times to remember. I left this guy in 2014 and my most recent VRO expired just last year. He is creepy, I have had a woman contact me, scared, because they thought he was stalking them (long story there).

My point is, he sounds like the guy you are working with. And just because someone is creepy af and a complete weirdo doesn't mean that they are capable of murder. Usually these guys take out their frustrations and animosity towards women behind their keyboards.

My ex hurt me physically, yes, and this guy you work with would probably too, but lashing out at a partner is very different to planning and executing what would have to have been a well planned murder.

Have you tried cyber-stalking him?? Finding out who his ex is?
Good luck getting rid of that person from your life. The two kids makes it more difficult. Try not to make the same mistake again.
Sounds like there's quite a few nasty people in Ballarat and I would be wanting to get out of there real quick as well.
If murderystuff is worried about this particular person then the info should go to crimestoppers.
There was also lot of finger pointing going on in the CSK years as to who the culprit was. The only one who didn't turn around and point the finger was a policeman investigating the case who had his photo taken in the same footy team as BRE.
It can all get a bit too silly for words.

He got caught and very quickly so it's entirely possible he did something risky like move the body (witnessed by somebody and putting him on the police's radar).
Two weeks is very quickly? And not sure about 'caught'. Arrested and charged is not exactly 'caught' unless one is ultimately convicted.

My BS meter is pinging pretty hard ;) Nevertheless, if you are sincere, we have a responsibility to call out violent and otherwise inappropriate behaviour in the workplace and elsewhere.
Seriously where would the sense be in making up a story? I’m not that kind of person. Anyway I’ll make a call to CS, just wanted to get some guidance and try and find out more about where the investigation had gone. That’s how I found this thread. Also wanted to get pics of the car first but as someone else mentioned, no need. Police will sort it out.

I’ve taken onboard the feedback, will contact relevant authority.
Please let us know how you get on and if there is any follow up by police of your concerns.

EDIT: The problem I have is that police are confident they already have their man in custody. They don't like to be told they are wrong (there was the Andrew Mallard case for example of the actual killer's palm print police refused to consider).
Your chap may be guilty of something else so worth a try anyway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I cannot understand is why did police arrest POS when they didn’t know where the body was?

Why not keep him under surveillance in the hope he leads them to the body somehow?

What I cannot understand is why did police arrest POS when they didn’t know where the body was?

Why not keep him under surveillance in the hope he leads them to the body somehow?

POS behaviour might have indicated he'd become aware he was under surveillance.

Why would they think he'd go back to the body?

It's not easy or cheap surveilling somebody 24/7.
It's not easy or cheap prosecuting someone for murder without a body or hard evidence. Nor is it likely to be successful.
Should police only follow lines of investigation which are easy and cheap?

Why would they think he'd go back to the body?

It's not easy or cheap surveilling somebody 24/7.

Two weeks surveillance iirc? That's not very long imo but they might have, aside from under a lot of pressure to make an arrest, have had their reasons.

That POS hasn't talked is curious. He's either old school police smart which I doubt, his story involves someone else he's utterly terrified of, or he didn't do it.

It’s possible. Old camper mate went back to the bodies.
Completely different cases though. The Police were desperate and used a complex strategy with all sorts of methods and techniques to solve a long-running case with Lynn. They caught PoS almost straight away - how long do they let him go about his life in the hope that he'll take the extremely unlikely action of returning to his victim's body? Risk/cost vs reward/benefit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back