Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Yes I have, zero socials. He definitely doesn’t come across as someone who would attract a partner. Attack could’ve been frustration, just a random with accidental consequences. I don’t think the car damage is as a result of collision with a person. My understanding of the car with panel damage is simply that one was reported in the vicinity at the time. If it is my weirdo her body could be anywhere between Ballarat and my town in QLD. He stated he threw all his clothes in the backseat of his car and left town…..why not the boot? I’m sorry for your suffering through your DV situation but cheering you on for escaping. I was in a similar, no kids thank God but it took his ex-wife, myself and the gf after me to put him in prison and cost me my career (a longer story).
I’m glad you were also able to get away from your DV situation.
Crime stoppers will pass on any information and police will investigate if they think this person is related to a crime.
It’s important to trust your instincts though and keep yourself safe, talk to your boss, other supports and if you feel threatened by him at all contact the local police.

Last edited:
I thought the police said they were looking for a vehicle with damage, then seized POS' vehicle, then charged him with murder. I'm assuming the police believe they found the vehicle they were looking for.
The impression I've got is police thought that a car knocked down SM and was damaged in the process. But how they came to that conclusion is anyone's guess.

I think it’s possible that POS vehicle already had damage to it. Particularly if he was prone to driving offences.
The impression I've got is police thought that a car knocked down SM and was damaged in the process. But how they came to that conclusion is anyone's guess.
I think at the time they said they were looking for a car with damage but didn’t indicate whether they thought the damage was from before or after the incident.

I’m glad you were also able to get away from your DV situation.
Crime stoppers will pass on any information and police will investigate if they think this person is related to a crime.
It’s important to trust your instincts though and keep yourself safe, talk to your boss, other supports and if you feel threatened by him at all contact the local police.
Takes alot to scare me, and he doesn’t. Nor did the guy we put in prison who learned the hard way I don’t take kindly to being threatened. ideally I’d love to speak to someone from Ballarat Hospital where he used to work, personally I just cannot see this bloke in a hospital role. We’ve had patients complain about him, staff find him weird/creepy and he’s already had a “speaking with good judgement” session. Anyway talking achieves nothing, CS is the call I have to make. Or maybe I’ll contact Under Investigation who also said feedback could go there when aired on TV.

Takes alot to scare me, and he doesn’t. Nor did the guy we put in prison who learned the hard way I don’t take kindly to being threatened. ideally I’d love to speak to someone from Ballarat Hospital where he used to work, personally I just cannot see this bloke in a hospital role. We’ve had patients complain about him, staff find him weird/creepy and he’s already had a “speaking with good judgement” session. Anyway talking achieves nothing, CS is the call I have to make. Or maybe I’ll contact Under Investigation who also said feedback could go there when aired on TV.
Surprised you haven't called CS already - you first posted about this on Wednesday and you had your suspicions well before then. The call would probably take less than 10 minutes.

Sounds like your workplace is aware of the situation and have processes in place.
Best to contact CS or UI (if prefer) so you can leave it in their hands.

Last edited:
Please let us know how you get on and if there is any follow up by police of your concerns.

EDIT: The problem I have is that police are confident they already have their man in custody. They don't like to be told they are wrong (there was the Andrew Mallard case for example of the actual killer's palm print police refused to consider).
Your chap may be guilty of something else so worth a try anyway.
MrsBlueSky, I hadn’t heard of Andrew Mallard and looked him up and watched the Australian Story. Very sad circumstances, him being wrongfully convicted and dying quite young after spending all that time in jail.

MrsBlueSky, I hadn’t heard of Andrew Mallard and looked him up and watched the Australian Story. Very sad circumstances, him being wrongfully convicted and dying quite young after spending all that time in jail.
Absolutely atrocious policing. The killer's palm print was on the counter and as it didn't fit their narrative was discounted. The killer was in jail for bashing his girlfriend and gave Mallard a strange look when he walked into prison. The rotten scumbag committed suicide when he learnt police eventually had another look at the print and were onto him. Then Mallard gets hit by a bus. I can basically see the shop where the murder took place from our house and it makes me sick thinking about what the police did to Mallard. And the cops in that case got promotions.
So good luck to murdery stuff to try and tell the cops they may have charged the wrong man.

Absolutely atrocious policing. The killer's palm print was on the counter and as it didn't fit their narrative was discounted. The killer was in jail for bashing his girlfriend and gave Mallard a strange look when he walked into prison. The rotten scumbag committed suicide when he learnt police eventually had another look at the print and were onto him. Then Mallard gets hit by a bus. I can basically see the shop where the murder took place from our house and it makes me sick thinking about what the police did to Mallard. And the cops in that case got promotions.
So good luck to murdery stuff to try and tell the cops they may have charged the wrong man.
All very sad. Hopefully if the police have any doubt they will follow up any other possibilities. At least then MurderyStuff can put her mind to rest that she has reported any suspicions.

I thought the police said they were looking for a vehicle with damage, then seized POS' vehicle, then charged him with murder. I'm assuming the police believe they found the vehicle they were looking for.
Maybe it's all Jedi Mind tricks?

I think at the time they said they were looking for a car with damage but didn’t indicate whether they thought the damage was from before or after the incident.

The mention of a vehicle by police was in one of the very early press conferences when they had no suspects and no leads.

"Detective acting Superintendent Mark Hatt renewed calls for information about the case"

“I encourage anyone who does have information that could be relevant to this investigation – whether that’s a person or vehicle seen in the area on that day, something unusual such as a damaged vehicle or property – to please come forward and speak to police or provide the information via Crime Stoppers,”.

There was also a mention at some point that there had been "a possible sighting of a damaged vehicle in the area."

Edit - the "possible sighting of a damaged vehicle" was on the 28th of February when POS had already been under surveillance for 10 days

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised you haven't called CS already - you first posted about this on Wednesday and you had your suspicions well before then. The call would probably take less than 10 minutes.

Probably because it has absolutely zero to do with this case and the poster knows it.

Probably because it has absolutely zero to do with this case and the poster knows it.
Poster is very brave. I’d be terrified if I thought I was working with someone who I thought was responsible for a murder and had done a runner to another state and might have brought the body with them.

The mention of a vehicle by police was in one of the very early press conferences when they had no suspects and no leads.

"Detective acting Superintendent Mark Hatt renewed calls for information about the case"

“I encourage anyone who does have information that could be relevant to this investigation – whether that’s a person or vehicle seen in the area on that day, something unusual such as a damaged vehicle or property – to please come forward and speak to police or provide the information via Crime Stoppers,”.

There was also a mention at some point that there had been "a possible sighting of a damaged vehicle in the area."

Edit - the "possible sighting of a damaged vehicle" was on the 28th of February when POS had already been under surveillance for 10 days
Thank you.

Poster is very brave. I’d be terrified if I thought I was working with someone who I thought was responsible for a murder and had done a runner to another state and might have brought the body with them.
Eh. Most killers only do it once. You're safest working next to somebody who's already got theirs out of their system.

Unless he tells them where the body is, it will take a miracle to find her remains.

There are so many potential places. Some extremely dense vegetation. Plenty of mine shafts and hidey holes in the bush. Sheer drops where you could push a body off and they’d never be found.

POS a local kid who rode dirt bikes would be very familiar with the area.

Not to mention that with the amount of wildlife and passing of time, her remains would now be even harder to find.
I have a horrible feeling SM’s remains will never be found. If the police have searched areas from the information they have, they haven’t found her yet.
Only chance is if POS (if guilty) finally breaks or a passerby finds her remains in years to come.

I have a horrible feeling SM’s remains will never be found. If the police have searched areas from the information they have, they haven’t found her yet.
Only chance is if POS (if guilty) finally breaks or a passerby finds her remains in years to come.
And what information did they have to conduct the searches in such specific locations?
Did someone see POS carting the body into the bush?
Did CCTV show POS's car driving along a bush track?
Did POS tell someone where he hid the body?
Did the phone pings indicate a specific location?
Just throw a dart at any of those possibilities.
How credible/reliable was the info the police were acting on in terms of those searches? I know the answer to that one!

And what information did they have to conduct the searches in such specific locations?
How credible/reliable was the info the police were acting on in terms of those searches? I know the answer to that one!
Your whole schtick seems to be crapping on the police because you think they are dumb and you are smarter than them. Say, for example, there was evidence that POS drove to the vicinity of one of those area's of bushland. That doesn't give the Police the exact whereabouts of Samantha's body, just potential evidence that it could be in that area. What would you have them do? Ignore the information and wait until they have the gps coordinates of her body before doing anything? Or undertake a search using the available resources based on legitimate potential evidence and hope for the best?

Your whole schtick seems to be crapping on the police because you think they are dumb and you are smarter than them. Say, for example, there was evidence that POS drove to the vicinity of one of those area's of bushland. That doesn't give the Police the exact whereabouts of Samantha's body, just potential evidence that it could be in that area. What would you have them do? Ignore the information and wait until they have the gps coordinates of her body before doing anything? Or undertake a search using the available resources based on legitimate potential evidence and hope for the best?
They may of looked at phone pings as well. Not sure if they were allowed to track him phone or not. He may of returned to the scene.

I don’t believe POS (if guilty) has told police where the body is as I assume it would be public knowledge.
I don’t think they’ve looked willy nilly in locations that they think SM’s body might be. I know for a fact they don’t throw a dart and hope to find the correct location of where someone’s body might be.
As others have mentioned, they would have some information, even a place familiar to POS, who knows, but I hope for SM’s families sake they do find her.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back