Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Exactly. Look at the Greg Lynn case.
How did the police use a "TV special" to solve the Lynn case? The majority of the evidence came from mobile phone / geodata and from Lynn's own testimony.

How / why did the police use "Under Investigation" to solve the SM case? There is nothing that came out of that show which has been used to solve the case.

Of course, police make public appeals via media when they need to. (e.g. Crimestoppers). But these "TV Specials" are not part of standard police practice.

How did the police use a "TV special" to solve the Lynn case? The majority of the evidence came from mobile phone / geodata and from Lynn's own testimony.

How / why did the police use "Under Investigation" to solve the SM case? There is nothing that came out of that show which has been used to solve the case.

Of course, police make public appeals via media when they need to. (e.g. Crimestoppers). But these "TV Specials" are not part of standard police practice.
There are many elements to solving a case. The police don’t just gather one lead/ piece of evidence and solve it.
I can assure you they will put episodes on certain crime shows just before they make an arrest. Perhaps to see what the person of interest does. I’ve personally seen it with a cold case that was aired on a crime show whilst the police had the person under surveillance. (FTR i wasn’t involved.)

There are many elements to solving a case. The police don’t just gather one lead/ piece of evidence and solve it.
I can assure you they will put episodes on certain crime shows just before they make an arrest. Perhaps to see what the person of interest does. I’ve personally seen it with a cold case that was aired on a crime show whilst the police had the person under surveillance. (FTR i wasn’t involved.)
Is that what the Vic Police Media Unit do?

I guess we were all wrong about PoS and MurderyStiff has been murdered by the real killer. Probably for knowing too much.
I sent Ms Stuff a message asking if she's OK and can she tell us how she went with her weird person.
If she doesn't reply then it may be the result of foul play as you say or perhaps insulted that I keep calling her a woman and she's actually a man because I know how that feels.

I sent Ms Stuff a message asking if she's OK and can she tell us how she went with her weird person.
If she doesn't reply then it may be the result of foul play as you say or perhaps insulted that I keep calling her a woman and she's actually a man because I know how that feels.
Murderystuff might just be quietly observing? I hope they are ok though. It's not nice having to deal with a creep like that.

Murderystuff might just be quietly observing? I hope they are ok though. It's not nice having to deal with a creep like that.
She hasn't been on since last Saturday.
I just came across a lady today who believes there is some domestic violence going on in the neighbouring flat.
Murderystuff didn't want to get into trouble from her boss by reporting the weird man.
A doctor in a hospital in the UK reported a nurse murdering infants to his seniors and they made him apologise to her for making that claim.
I just take my dog for a walk and keep my head down when I do.

The behaviour you walk past is the one you accept. You cannot expect DV to 'solve itself'. People need to speak up and challenge unacceptable behaviours.
I know what you mean and I would do what you say.
In this woman's instance, the abuse and intimidation from the man has been going on for at least two years and was reported to body corporate.
The lady is from another country and may feel alone and afraid to speak up.
The person I spoke to said she will report it again but I feel she should confront the man and say what he's doing is not on.
I haven't heard the fights but if I did I would confront him.
It's a bit like Murderystuff. I doubt she would have reported her concerns to crimestoppers, whereas I would have.

I guess we were all wrong about PoS and MurderyStiff has been murdered by the real killer. Probably for knowing too much.

:eek:
MurderyStuff last post May 18, 3:08pm - quoted below
MurderyStuff last seen May 18, 3:08pm

Ideally I’d love to speak to someone from Ballarat Hospital where he used to work, personally I just cannot see this bloke in a hospital role. We’ve had patients complain about him, staff find him weird/creepy and he’s already had a “speaking with good judgement” session. Anyway talking achieves nothing, CS is the call I have to make. Or maybe I’ll contact Under Investigation who also said feedback could go there when aired on TV.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that there are tens of posts upon posts here adamant that there must be a reasonable motive does my head in.
Particularly the “but he’s so young, 22 year old boys don’t just x, y or z so it just doesn’t add up!!!” category of hypothesising.
Are we forgetting that 22 year olds are fully grown adult men?

This. Absolutely agree.

The fact that there are tens of posts upon posts here adamant that there must be a reasonable motive does my head in.
Particularly the “but he’s so young, 22 year old boys don’t just x, y or z so it just doesn’t add up!!!” category of hypothesising.
Are we forgetting that 22 year olds are fully grown adult men?
And given A normal male testosterone level peaks at about age 20, and On average, peak strength is usually attained… between the ages of 20 and 30 in untrained men, it appears to be a perfectly reasonable age for someone driven to randomly murder a stranger to follow through on that impulse.
And not that this alleged homicide is the work of a current or potential SK, but in terms of random attacks with no clear motivator, research like this suggests serial killers are mostly white males in their 20s or 30s, of above average intelligence, who usually commit intra-racial murders of strangers so it’s not completely unheard of for a woman to become a victim of a random, violent attacker.

Just IMO of course.
A male murderer is about 4 times more likely to be older than 24 than under 24. Young men are less likely statistically to commit murder.

Less than one in 8 murders are committed by strangers.

So, it would be unlikely statistically for this one to have no motive.

In this woman's instance, the abuse and intimidation from the man has been going on for at least two years and was reported to body corporate.
The person I spoke to said she will report it again but I feel she should confront the man and say what he's doing is not on.
It's a bit like Murderystuff. I doubt she would have reported her concerns to crimestoppers, whereas I would have.
Just be careful, it could cause the situation in that flat to escalate, he might blame it on her. Or lash out at you.

A male murderer is about 4 times more likely to be older than 24 than under 24. Young men are less likely statistically to commit murder.

But not completely out of the question.

Don’t be too quick to dismiss something just because it doesn’t fit “statistics”. It can happen, it has happened before, and there’s no reason it couldn’t happen again. None of us here know for sure. And truth is, anything is possible, regardless of statistics.

It’s really important that if you or yourself hear or see the DV, to call the police. The police shouldn’t tell them who has contacted them. You or the person you talk to could also contact a DV service to seek some advice on how to best support this lady in a safe way for both her and yourself.

I’m sure MurderyStuff has reported it by now.

She hasn't been on since last Saturday.
I just came across a lady today who believes there is some domestic violence going on in the neighbouring flat.
Murderystuff didn't want to get into trouble from her boss by reporting the weird man.
A doctor in a hospital in the UK reported a nurse murdering infants to his seniors and they made him apologise to her for making that claim.
I just take my dog for a walk and keep my head down when I do.
I remember that case in the UK. The Doctor’s concerns were completely dismissed and made to apologise about his claims and all the while more infants were being murdered. Shocking!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back