2nds SANFL being SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Irrelevant backwater competition trying to stay relevant. Has a smell of South Australia in general all over it. I'm glad the club called them out on it. Stop playing nice to these campaigners. I'm picturing a bunch of boomers around a rusted old round table cracking a boner saying no to this. Effectively now this new rule disadvantages us and the crows.

Invest in a ******* AFL reserves comp!
Not all boomers are a**holes 😁

I don't really understand why it's even a rule the SANFL are concerned with.

As long as there's no 'bye' round sorta thing that we can't exploit, then if Port want to play all the AFL players at AFL level and then SANFL level in the same round then so be it, they should let them. Port would never be stupid enough to do it as we'd wear our players into the ground.

They're 2 separate competitions, and if we think that a medical sub that has played 10 mins of a game, is fit and ready to play an SANFL game, then they should be able to.

It's not gaming the system, it's not unfair on the SANFL teams, it's just helping the AFL teams ensure their players are as prepared for AFL footy as possible. And if that isn't the whole point of the SANFL these days then I don't know what is.

The SANFL exists to play its role as a development/feeder comp to the AFL. The delusions of grandeur the comp still has are so ridiculous.
By going against the national rules, makes the SANFL feel some what relevant in their narrow little minds.

When does our contract with them end again? Reserves league can't come soon enough

Ed is probably around more now, he can say what he wants in national TV and not give two shits.

He can say whatever the **** he wants on national TV now and no one needs to give any shits at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be a clear directive from the club in refraining from referring to the SANFL side as the Magpies, its been happening since mid last year.

I suspect this may be part of the reason.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I assumed we were distancing ourselves from the Magpie in an attempt to appease Collingwood on the PB debate.

I.e. "see we dont want the Magpie, just the bars".

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

There seems to be a clear directive from the club in refraining from referring to the SANFL side as the Magpies, its been happening since mid last year.

I suspect this may be part of the reason.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
The website used "Magpies" as late as five days ago:

PORT ADELAIDE has completed its preparations for the 2021 SANFL season with a comeback trial game win over Adelaide at Alberton Oval on Friday night.

The Magpies looked to have been overrun when the Crows piled on six straight goals in the second half, but booted five of the last six goals to claim the win 13.11 (89) to 11.8 (74).

I have to ask where the Adelaide Football Club is in all of this? Once more we carry the load while the West Lakes lackies sit back, too frightened to upset their mates in the SANFL.

PS Good to hear from you Gremio, things are not good in your part of the world so stay safe.

I posted the above on Gremio's thread but it fits here as well.

Everyone having a go at the SANFL for sticking up for themselves with this issue when the AFL is to blame. They introduce a rule half a week before the beginning of the season and expect each state competition to comply wholeheartedly. Let's remember that the SANFL like all state leagues had to deal with the implementation of the mid season rookie draft which took contracted players without compensation and nobody batted an eyelid. I commend the SANFL for staying strong on this issue and not complying to every whim of Hocking and his troupe of glory chasers. Also, we can bag the SANFL but its the league in which our great club established its legacy.

Everyone having a go at the SANFL for sticking up for themselves with this issue when the AFL is to blame. They introduce a rule half a week before the beginning of the season and expect each state competition to comply wholeheartedly. Let's remember that the SANFL like all state leagues had to deal with the implementation of the mid season rookie draft which took contracted players without compensation and nobody batted an eyelid. I commend the SANFL for staying strong on this issue and not complying to every whim of Hocking and his troupe of glory chasers. Also, we can bag the SANFL but its the league in which our great club established its legacy.
The SANFL need to AFL, not the other way around.

In theory, you are right. But letting the sub playing would have changed NOTHING to the SANFL. That's not fighting; but acting silly.

the sanfl aren't being asked to change a rule - simply allow afl players who were named as sub but didn't play (or played a minimal amount of game time) to return to their sanfl team and play. It really has no effect on their clubs at all

Surely the issue is more around the sanfl not allowing the medical sub from the afl to play sanfl that week too. It would not affect the sanfl in any way, shape or form to allow that to happen. Apart from giving us 1 extra afl listed player per week in the Maggies, which would improve our chances of winning. Which is why it’s not happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back