Schwarz Warns Dees Players Could Be Axed (AGE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fan of Garlands. Shows some heart and at least a want to win. Even if he's limited, he'll have a go, which, when in 18 months the club has won 5 games, is surely enough to stay on next year.

Evans signed a 2 year deal I believe, and I wouldn't just toss A Davey out, especially when there will probably be a mass exodus of players.

They have to move Aaron Davey on. No one looks so good when the game is over.

Whatever Schwarz is babbling about this time the Dees cannot turn over half a list in one season. They can move on eight to ten.

Watts will only be traded if he asks for it. I think the club rates him highly and would want to keep him.

The AFL have stepped in - put in their own CEO, cleared the Chair and Coach. The opinions of the 'club' are now irrelevant. They are in fact at the core of the problem.

Perhaps you didn't notice how efficiently the Chair and Coach were moved on. The AFL's man showed no emotion or feeling for a discredited 'club'. There will certainly be no emotion over a player. It is all business for the AFL House Franchise from now on.

The times have changed, they are not even 'a changin' as they say in the classics.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...rne-players-could-be-axed-20130617-2oeaa.html

Schwarz makes a valid point in that there is nowhere left for the Demons players to hide now that Neeld has been sacked.

So based on his claims there, which of the players at the MFC need to be looking over their shoulders ?? You can divide then up into four categories and I've added in a few names as a starter, more than likely got a lot of them wrong though :

(1) Safe & Part Of The Future
Max Gawn, Jimmy Toumpas, Nathan Jones, Jeremy Howe, Jack Grimes, Jack Viney, Jack Trengove, Colin Garland, Chris Dawes, Mitch Clark,

(2) In Limbo, Still Can Save Themselves
Colin Sylvia, Sam Blease, Jordie McKenzie, Luke Tapscott, Dean Terlich, Dean Kent, Michael Evans, Dom Barry,

(3) More Than Likely Will Be Traded
Jack Watts, Mark Jamar,

(4) Gone For All Money & Delisted
Aaron Davey, Cameron Pederson, James Sellar, Neville Jetta, Michael Evans, Jake Spencer, David Rodan, Lynden Dunn, Rohan Bail, Tom Gillies,

Shannon Byrnes?

I'd keep as many as possible and throw the challenge to the players to improve with a view towards cutting those that don't. Mass exodus will only make things worse and mean we're talking about Melbourne for the same reasons in two years time.

Evans is neither an untouchable or gone for all money. He sits somewhere in between. Same with Terlich. Matt Jones is safe.

You tell me !!
Chip is probably the MOST safe, unless he makes a move after next season.

If Byrnes is up to it, I think he could run around for another season. When he's been fully fit this year he's been an asset on the ground, as opposed to a number of hinderances we have running around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contracts mate.

Dunn is contracted til the end of 2014
Pederson til 2016
The Russian is with us til 2015.

I'm all for delisting a few spuds but we can't afford to pay out half our players if we can't afford to pay out a now ex coach on our own

This is where the 92.5% minimum is a bit folly.

Melbourne if they were paying on talent wouldn't be anywhere near 92.5%.

As such, they should have room within the cap to pay out those 3 players.

However, given the AFLPA requirement that 92.% must be paid, it leaves them with only $4-$500k per year spare. Then if they use those funds to pay out potatoes, it leaves them no room to recruit under FA.

For mine their needs to be a bit more flexibility on the 92.5%

What's the salary cap situation like?

I heard Frawley was coming off contract and might be seeking a move - that would be more to do with being disillusioned with life at the club than a money thing surely?

This is where the 92.5% minimum is a bit folly.

Melbourne if they were paying on talent wouldn't be anywhere near 92.5%.

As such, they should have room within the cap to pay out those 3 players.

However, given the AFLCA requirement that 92.% must be paid, it leaves them with only $4-$500k per year spare. Then if they use those funds to pay out potatoes, it leaves them no room to recruit under FA.

For mine their needs to be a bit more flexibility on the 92.5%
Pretty sure it's 95% now. Disgraceful requirement imposed by the AFLPA.

They have to move Aaron Davey on. No one looks so good when the game is over.

Whatever Schwarz is babbling about this time the Dees cannot turn over half a list in one season. They can move on eight to ten.
Davey could have been really good in a good side imo, but yeah his career at Melbourne should be over. The only thing that might save him is that they have so many players to turn over at the end of the year and at least he has the skill level to actually player senior footy unlike many others on their list

Fan of Garlands. Shows some heart and at least a want to win. Even if he's limited, he'll have a go, which, when in 18 months the club has won 5 games, is surely enough to stay on next year.
Garland would be a good player as a 2nd/3rd defender in a side that got more support from their mids and other backs imo

Pretty sure it's 95% now. Disgraceful requirement imposed by the AFLPA.

I don't think it is disgraceful, they are just ensuring that the players across the whole league share in the spoils of the revenue that the AFL generates.

However their needs to be flexibility with the salary cap and the impost of the 95%

As such Melbourne should be able to say borrow forward a few years and pay out contracts taking them to 120% of the cap, as long as they "recover" that excess cap money from the following 3 years.

You tell me !!

I think Byrnes is in limbo. He's always been a decent foot soldier, no more, no less. Popular club man and all that sort of stuff off the field. Trouble is, he's no longer the player he was during his 2009/10 peak (when he was seriously good). So he's not good enough to be an icing-on-the-cake player anymore for Geelong, but he's not the sort of core top 6-8 player who will get in the best every week, that Melbourne would be looking for from someone his age (30 next year).

Still, I think he's got a bit to offer and with so many being worthy of the chop at this stage, I reckon he'll probably get another year.

I don't think it is disgraceful, they are just ensuring that the players across the whole league share in the spoils of the revenue that the AFL generates.

However their needs to be flexibility with the salary cap and the impost of the 95%

As such Melbourne should be able to say borrow forward a few years and pay out contracts taking them to 120% of the cap, as long as they "recover" that excess cap money from the following 3 years.

What other industry rewards incompetent employees with 95% of the renumeration of the best employees?

- Aside from politics of course. -

I agree that the players should be rewarded with a fair share of the revenue, but I'd have thought a higher cap would be preferable. Even if there are flaws in this particular approach surely there are other, better, options than this flawed and recently increased 95% minimum limit. The AFLPA is gunning for a worst of Communism solution, and clubs like Melbourne who are forced to reward mediocrity will reap the rewards.

Melbourne is not a preferrerd destination for half decent footballers

What does the OX an co think will happen if they cut short contracts signed in good faith not 12 months ago.

They might as well get Ayres as coach because he knows who the good VFL standard footballers are

What other industry rewards incompetent employees with 95% of the renumeration of the best employees?

I agree that the players should be rewarded with a fair share of the revenue, but I'd have thought a higher cap would be preferable. Even if there are flaws in this particular approach surely there are other, better, options than this flawed and recently increased 95% minimum limit. The AFLPA is gunning for a worst of Communism solution, and clubs like Melbourne who are forced to reward mediocrity will reap the rewards.

Top graduates go th the top companies not the dross ones as well

It isn't - it is about 27% of remuneration from memory. It is only 95% of an arbitrary salary cap.

Still, if we allowed payment on performance in the AFL, Sydney and Hawthorn would have triple the salary cap of Melbourne.

I think the current system works, it just needs some flexibilty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back