Scott's Not Going Anywhere

Remove this Banner Ad

The players: We lack on-field leadership. Swallow and Wells are great lead by example types and that's good as far as it goes. But we need somebody who barks instructions, does some finger pointing, yells and organises. Somebody who says "Get it straight buster - I'm not here to say please, I'm here to tell you what to do and if self-preservation is an instinct you possess you'd better ******* do it and do it quick"As you see from Heath Shaw, Jarred McVeigh, Paul Chapman etc.

:thumbsu: well said chuck, this is one of our major problems in a nutshell, and although he is a pretty average footballer and captain, and i cannot actually stand him, you can add nick maxwell to the list, these quoted players are always seen doing exactly what you said, instructing, organising, communicating, encouraging team mates, our leaders not so much :(

:thumbsu: well said chuck, this is one of our major problems in a nutshell, and although he is a pretty average footballer and captain, and i cannot actually stand him, you can add nick maxwell to the list, these quoted players are always seen doing exactly what you said, instructing, organising, communicating, encouraging team mates, our leaders not so much :(

There was a point at the MCG today when this hit home to me again. Pies were ten goals ahead and someone was takin a shot for another goal for them from about 40 out. Maxwell was standing in the middle of the ground about 60 metres from goals yelling with his arms pointing and making sure every single Collingwood player was where they should be in case it was a point and the ball was going to be kicked out.

The more I think about that game the more I think Guy Mckenna totally set us up and way outsmarted Brad Scott. He let us play our one on one style of footy in the first quarter knowing we would get out to a decent lead then at quarter time he threw in his wildcards into the midfield and put a spare man back and demanded his players to press as hard as anyone has this year knowing we would eventually crack to the pressure and exactly that happened. The problem with North now is every team we play thinks we are mentally weak and that is going to give our opposition an edge until we prove we can smash an Essendon, Freo, Hawks, Sydney or a Geelong regularly for four quarters. Right at this very minute though, because of our narrow tragic losses over the past couple of seasons I think this current group lacks the belief and desire to make this club a power and Im not going to judge them to hardly because In all honesty we have suffered some tragic losses over last couple of years. Unfortunately our problems at North in my opinion are bigger and badder than we all currently think. Time will tell, but all I know is windows don't stay open forever in this great game.

Listen you still have to be patient with the newies coming through at all times. Everyone has to be. IF you aren't going to listen to me I will alert the club and they will make you listen.

I think that's only fair.

These internet forum neigh-sayers must be stopped.

Serious question, do you folks think Scott is a good communicator to your players and by that i mean are his match day messages/instructions getting through?

This comes from some (military/wildfire) leadership instructors talking footy after watching the muted half time address and observing the players and their reaction was blah blah blah they weren't listening or taking in what he was saying, the situation there and then needed him to be demonstrative like his brother and point fingers. We also think you've got the wrong bloke as captain.

Where to from here ? I feel like cancelling my true roo membership. I wouldn't do it, but I'm as angry as I've ever been.
Totally agree!! I was wild as hell to the fact I turn it off 10 mins into the last qtr.......it was a forgone conclusion that our players didnt want to win or didnt know how to.
Friday's media from McKenna........
Mentally? I don't know what goes on, I can't answer that because I'm not in charge of North Melbourne, but they are vulnerable after quarter-time, let's be honest.

Let's be honest Guy:- if my side has an ounce of pride they should smash the living bejesus out of your players and your theory.

Totally agree!! I was wild as hell to the fact I turn it off 10 mins into the last qtr.......it was a forgone conclusion that our players didnt want to win or didnt know how to.
Friday's media from McKenna........
Mentally? I don't know what goes on, I can't answer that because I'm not in charge of North Melbourne, but they are vulnerable after quarter-time, let's be honest.

Let's be honest Guy:- if my side has an ounce of pride they should smash the living bejesus out of your players and your theory.

I think that GC probably crave a bit of attention. Let them have a look mummy no hands moment.

Football is a war of attrition these days. It's not a sprint and never has been. The problem is North focuses on there explosive starts way more than any other club in the league therefore leaving us wobbling at the finish. The fitness and coaching staff have to come up with different strategies to get through a game of AFL. There is no need to be playing your best footy in the first 5 minutes. More even tempo footy early and keeping possesion early is the modern thing.

I like this line of thought. Going off topic a bit here with this, but I have been wondering for a while if this isn't our problem. We seem to come out all fired up, determined, etc and run ourselves ragged, and then try to hold on for the rest of the game. It'd be like Black Caviar jumping out to a four length lead in the first furlong. And we aren't Black Caviar.

Only point of concern in Scott's coaching style is that North doesn't really defend. They play the same Kamikaze style of football that Knights tried to implement at Essendon. North is just doing it a little better.
But unless Scott devises a better defensive plan, they won't get far.

Serious question, do you folks think Scott is a good communicator to your players and by that i mean are his match day messages/instructions getting through?

This comes from some (military/wildfire) leadership instructors talking footy after watching the muted half time address and observing the players and their reaction was blah blah blah they weren't listening or taking in what he was saying, the situation there and then needed him to be demonstrative like his brother and point fingers.
Interesting perspective. I'll give it some thought.
We also think you've got the wrong bloke as captain.
Who should it be?

I like this line of thought. Going off topic a bit here with this, but I have been wondering for a while if this isn't our problem. We seem to come out all fired up, determined, etc and run ourselves ragged, and then try to hold on for the rest of the game. It'd be like Black Caviar jumping out to a four length lead in the first furlong. And we aren't Black Caviar.

Were defnetely not Black Caviar. AFL is not black Caviar. Id say in racing terms AFL is a Melbourne cup. Perfect proof of this is in friday nights game Carlton VS Essendon. Essendon playing a tragically slow tempo early but ran over the top of Carlton who ran out of legs. We need to play tempo football early.

Were defnetely not Black Caviar. AFL is not black Caviar. Id say in racing terms AFL is a Melbourne cup. Perfect proof of this is in friday nights game Carlton VS Essendon. Essendon playing a tragically slow tempo early but ran over the top of Carlton who ran out of legs. We need to play tempo football early.

I think Essendon were a bit lucky that Carlton did a North.

We are not Black Caviar. We are a team competing against others that are actually trying to beat us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe not, Swallow is terrific but to be honest he hasnt lifted a gear when needed, the great do , do that.

I agree with that but Ben is not ready. Jack next captain, Ben vice captain and heir apparent. But let's wait until both of them are established players, they're still in their apprenticeships.

Maybe not, Swallow is terrific but to be honest he hasnt lifted a gear when needed, the great do , do that.

I'm pretty sure he is carrying a crook knee from the bulldogs game.

He might not hit top gear for the rest of the season.

Cunnington (but we're biased) when plays running against you guys he still stands out, he's a natural leader.
9 times out of 10 you could say that for Swallow too. What Swallow lacks (to my eye) is the ability to organise people out there, do a bit of shouting and finger pointing.

As others have said Ben and Jack are still barely out of their apprenticeship stage, so it's probably a bit early to make them captain. Nothing to stop them being vocal out there though and acting as leaders. God knows we need it.

I'm pretty sure he is carrying a crook knee from the bulldogs game.

He might not hit top gear for the rest of the season.

Fair enough Tef, but our season is shot why let him play injured when we could play some players craving to play senior footy :- Greenwood for example. It kills his urge to leave us and gives him the opportunity to show what he has to offer for the remaining season. Other players need a run ( I know we have gifted players earlier) but there another group there now that may need that slim chance to shine and if that means dropping an Atley , a Wright, an Adams whoever, so be it, these players need to learn that another year of their short careers has been wasted, where most of us felt was a stepping stone to a possible flag tilt down the track.
We played with urgency last year into the finals and emptied the tank to September, we can do it again but I think now where we sit on the win/loss table its better to get games into say McKenzie, maybe Gysberts, Jacobs (this one has a smell of danilchenko about him) give him a crack this 2nd half of the season if he passes keep him if not piss him off I say. Its all about 2015 to 2018.

Good call, but perhaps a few years early.
Maybe not, Swallow is terrific but to be honest he hasnt lifted a gear when needed, the great captains do ....... do that.

Way i'd look at it is Swallow is a possession winner, his focus is on winning the ball, with out carrying the burden of leadership and organizing his team mates he's going to get better where as Cunnington has taken a huge step forward as a player he now has a presence* about him when he's got the ball. Melbourne made a huge mistake when they passed him by in the draft.

*everybody kicks the ball the wrong way once in their lifetime

They got it but his young players stood up at the expense of our side.........Pride and passion on the park used to go a long way with this club. But thats not sexy anymore, sportscience is.......apparently.

GC are made up of some very good draft picks, that clubs other than GWS could only dream about. So, it really shouldn't be that surprising that they win a game of football. This year has been a disappointment so far for NM. I'd love to see us get that dogged determination back, where we made our own luck and never gave in. Much like the way the Swans play.

Way i'd look at it is Swallow is a possession winner, his focus is on winning the ball, with out carrying the burden of leadership and organizing his team mates he's going to get better where as Cunnington has taken a huge step forward as a player he now has a presence* about him when he's got the ball. Melbourne made a huge mistake when they passed him by in the draft.

*everybody kicks the ball the wrong way once in their lifetime

Interesting to get an outside perspective. Ziebell is head and shoulders the heir apparent to most but Ben is certainly producing a playing style reeking of leadership.

I've always thought Scott Thompson has a lot of elements of a top captain and haven't necessarily changed that view. Smart, vocal, cool and with a mean streak.

This comes from some (military/wildfire) leadership instructors talking footy after watching the muted half time address and observing the players and their reaction was blah blah blah they weren't listening or taking in what he was saying, the situation there and then needed him to be demonstrative like his brother and point fingers. We also think you've got the wrong bloke as captain.
Good grief, don't tell me he's lost the players already?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back