Preview Season 7, Round 9 v Geelong: Friday 21 October @ Wigan Oval (Unley Oval)

Remove this Banner Ad

It looked like that was the reason, but I couldn't believe a player would remonstrate when the end was so close, and the score so tight. Poor discipline on Jones' part.
I'm not surprised. It was a recklessly high attempt at the ball, which got Allan in the head. Lucky to not concuss her.

Doesn't take much for the umps to pay a free kick in AFLW. At one point late in the game, Geelong got a free kick because Ballard dumped the player in a tackle? To me, she tackled a player, that player incorrectly disposed of the ball and she stayed in the action of tackling. It was barely a dump.

And Sarah Allan was taken recklessly high in that attempt by the Geelong player. Can't believe a slight remonstration was worth a free over that.
I liked your previous post, but I reckon the umpires were letting most things go, especially HTBs and tackles without the ball. They also seemed pretty unbiased, dumped tackles to both sides.
At one point in the last, I was amazed that a free was not paid to Geelong on the HFF when we mercilessly crashed into one of their players attempting a mark, which I think was a mark anyway.

Just got home and watched the game.

The good:
  • Umpires let the game play on. Very few poor calls as in previous games.
  • Commentators less biased as in previous games.
The bad
  • Blindly kicking the ball into forward lines, but Geelong's pressure had a lot to do with that. Still disappointing we had no-one in front in the forward lines to contest/receive the ball.
  • Reacting to Allan's high tackle.
  • Kicking for goal.
All in all I found it a thoroughly enjoyable game that kept me on the edge of my seat for most of the game.

It looked like that was the reason, but I couldn't believe a player would remonstrate when the end was so close, and the score so tight. Poor discipline on Jones' part.

There was almost nothing in it, just a little push to get her off Allan. Reversing it was a poor decision.

Not convincing! But I'll take the win. Geelong look pretty good through the midfield! We were down in various parts of the ground but did enough to get over the line. Another sterling effort from Biddell, surely she is in contention for the B&F. Marinoff was the better out of the Marinoff/Hatchard duo, Hatchard's kicking seems to have gotten worse since her foot injury last season.

We still fumble so much and end up inviting pressure on ourselves. It's frustrating. Someone here asked earlier about the girls mis-bouncing it more often, my theory is it's the smaller ball. Less weight makes it less likely to bounce truly, and the same goes for fumbles.

Woodland has really fallen away in recent weeks. Mind you, she is so often outnumbered up forward that it's got to be tough for her.

I think I'm sold on Kelly now. Was not a fan based on the preseason match and her round 2 appearance, but she's been quality since then. Not a star but a worthy contributor.

That was probably Tonon's best game of the season, albeit that's a low bar. Mueller looked pretty good despite getting not much ball, she's pretty composed! Nice kick, too.

Just need to win next week to sew up a top 4 spot. Hard to see us winning a flag this season but it's not impossible.

The good:
  • Umpires let the game play on. Very few poor calls as in previous games.

On one hand, yes, true. On the other hand, apparently the umpires forgot there is a rule called holding the ball. They almost never paid them! Very frustrating when a player nails a perfect tackle, forces the opponent into an illegal possession, and it's just called play on as another opposition player runs off with the ball.

That was a scrappy scrappy win. Thought we were lucky Whitely's mark was considered a mark as I didn't think the ball travelled 10m. Gould missing a sitter and Ponter mis-bouncing the ball. Not sure what it is, but women tend to have trouble bouncing the ball? Are they not running fast enough for the ball to bounce back nicely? Not bouncing with enough force?

We were lucky to get away with that win.

Marinoff has been struggling with effective possession. Hatchard has been terrible with her possessions. Our rucks did well to dominate, but we need to work on our skills and disposal efficiency.

Having the ball in the hands to people like Thompson, Allan, Ponter, Jones and Charlton, Kelly is more comforting than Hatchard and Marinoff.

I was really impressed with Kelly and that goal she kicked. Just the way she handled the ball and stayed in the play was great to watch.
Considering Ponter kicked a brilliant running bouncing goal earlier in the game, I’d say she is reasonable at the skill. I’ve seen fellas do worse. Agree with you re Hatchy but probably less re Noffy.

We seem to be a bit behind where we were last season in terms of skills. Little things like first touch collects, contested marks, kicks to advantage have all fallen away.

I think we might rue this season for not settling the side and backing in younger talent. Players like Simmons, Button, Racjic, Whiteley should not be playing over Prowse, Tonon, Kustermann. We need to get players that have come through a full junior system settled into the side ASAP.

It's criminal we've given Whiteley, Simmons and Dowrick 12 games yet Prowse has only played 2

Considering Ponter kicked a brilliant running bouncing goal earlier in the game, I’d say she is reasonable at the skill. I’ve seen fellas do worse. Agree with you re Hatchy but probably less re Noffy.
I need to go back and watch the first quarter. I forgot the game started at 5:30 and thought it was 6pm.
edit: That was a really good running goal. Such bad luck with the bounce in the final quarter. Lucky it was still a win.

There was almost nothing in it, just a little push to get her off Allan. Reversing it was a poor decision.

Not convincing! But I'll take the win. Geelong look pretty good through the midfield! We were down in various parts of the ground but did enough to get over the line. Another sterling effort from Biddell, surely she is in contention for the B&F. Marinoff was the better out of the Marinoff/Hatchard duo, Hatchard's kicking seems to have gotten worse since her foot injury last season.

We still fumble so much and end up inviting pressure on ourselves. It's frustrating. Someone here asked earlier about the girls mis-bouncing it more often, my theory is it's the smaller ball. Less weight makes it less likely to bounce truly, and the same goes for fumbles.

Woodland has really fallen away in recent weeks. Mind you, she is so often outnumbered up forward that it's got to be tough for her.

I think I'm sold on Kelly now. Was not a fan based on the preseason match and her round 2 appearance, but she's been quality since then. Not a star but a worthy contributor.

That was probably Tonon's best game of the season, albeit that's a low bar. Mueller looked pretty good despite getting not much ball, she's pretty composed! Nice kick, too.

Just need to win next week to sew up a top 4 spot. Hard to see us winning a flag this season but it's not impossible.

On one hand, yes, true. On the other hand, apparently the umpires forgot there is a rule called holding the ball. They almost never paid them! Very frustrating when a player nails a perfect tackle, forces the opponent into an illegal possession, and it's just called play on as another opposition player runs off with the ball.
One thing I noticed in the 2nd quarter when we had a mark on the wing and Hatchard pushed up to be an option.

She was being double tagged.

If we went to her, she has to compete in a 2 on 1.

Also. I loved our kickin plan early.

1st kickin - Flood one side of the ground, go up the line.

2nd kickin - Flood that same side of the ground, draw the Geelong players in. Go the other side to a 3 on 2. Got it up forward in a hurry without Geelong touching it.

I mean, yes. But there were 2 decisions (1 2nd quarter, 1 3rd quarter) where I felt we should've been pinged in our backline. I dont want to be giving the ball up there.....

Though, there was another in the 3rd which I felt should've gone our way. Was annoyed when that wasnt paid. But ah well, we probably got the rub overall.

Only felt there were 2 bs calls tbh. The mark to Whitely I dont think went 15m (Heck, i dont think it went 10m). And then the reversal against Jones when Allan had the high.

I need to go back and watch the first quarter. I forgot the game started at 5:30 and thought it was 6pm.
edit: That was a really good running goal. Such bad luck with the bounce in the final quarter. Lucky it was still a win.

She was absolutely gassed at the end of the game. I think it was just an exhaustion thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked your previous post, but I reckon the umpires were letting most things go, especially HTBs and tackles without the ball. They also seemed pretty unbiased, dumped tackles to both sides.
At one point in the last, I was amazed that a free was not paid to Geelong on the HFF when we mercilessly crashed into one of their players attempting a mark, which I think was a mark anyway.
If I recalled correctly, that player who mercilessly crashed into one of their players attempting a mark, was Eloise Jones. She looked an angry bull after getting a free reversal to Geelong for her remonstrating to an opponent for collecting one of our players head high.

FWIW, that free reversal was a really stupid call. It’s like saying “you’re not allowed to remonstrate after your team mate is collected head high by her opponent”. Which is utter BS and not in the spirit of footy. Men or Women.

A good win in the end, close game mainly due to our lack of quality finish. That, and 2-3 kicks out on the full.

The last few weeks have really highlighted a consistent theme:
  • our team pressure is up there with the best
  • our forward entries are a bit too chaotic in which our forwards haven’t got the elite forward craft necessary to beat their opponents, except maybe Ponter.
I don’t think we’re too far off the pace, but our midfield-to-forward chains need to be better if we’re going to win it this year.

Last edited:
A good win in the end, close game mainly due to our lack of quality finish. That, and 2-3 kicks out on the full.

The last few weeks have really highlighted a consistent theme:
  • our team pressure is up there with the best
  • our forward entries are a bit too chaotic in which our forwards haven’t got the elite forward craft necessary to beat their opponents, except maybe Ponter.
I don’t think we’re too far off the pace, but our midfield-to-forward chains need to be better if we’re going to win it this year.

The problem with us at the moment is that we seem to have two modes.

1) Holding the structure, and relying on midfield players to win their individual matchups.
2) Everyone going at the ball, and then when we win it, there is no structure ahead of the ball, so we just rely on bombing it in and hoping that it bounces our way.

Teams that play a ball-hunting, contested style are able to match or even beat us in the first mode, so we end up switching to the second mode, and then we become non-functional in our forward line.

What Brisbane can do that we have not yet mastered is playing a heavily contested game with players hunting the ball, while still maintaining enough of their structure so that if they win it, there are open options to go to. With us, that seems to only happen when we're rebounding from defence.

The problem with us at the moment is that we seem to have two modes.

1) Holding the structure, and relying on midfield players to win their individual matchups.
2) Everyone going at the ball, and then when we win it, there is no structure ahead of the ball, so we just rely on bombing it in and hoping that it bounces our way.

Teams that play a ball-hunting, contested style are able to match or even beat us in the first mode, so we end up switching to the second mode, and then we become non-functional in our forward line.

What Brisbane can do that we have not yet mastered is playing a heavily contested game with players hunting the ball, while still maintaining enough of their structure so that if they win it, there are open options to go to. With us, that seems to only happen when we're rebounding from defence.
If we decide to do team flooding to defend, I hope we always have at least one smart forward up in the forward zone at all times (Ponter or Woodland). Hack kicks to nobody isn’t going to win us many games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back