Expansion Selling Blockbusters out of Victoria ..? The next step in AFL Expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL selling games? The AFL doesn't put them on in the first place.

Individual clubs selling games has been around for decades, although they generally only sell their sh*t drawing games interstate.
Funny how the Hawks (and Saints before) want money for playing in Launnie, and play Freo, GWS, Power etc.

Lol. The corrupt MCG contract insists that at 10 of the top 12 "blockbuster" games be played at the MCG. The Victorian Government as chief protagonist will never allow it. Also, you'd have to think this "Dreamtime" game was some sort of weird one off? Who the * is going to regularly fork out monet to see 2 teams you don't give a s**t about?

Lol. The corrupt MCG contract insists that at 10 of the top 12 "blockbuster" games be played at the MCG. The Victorian Government as chief protagonist will never allow it. Also, you'd have to think this "Dreamtime" game was some sort of weird one off? Who the fu** is going to regularly fork out monet to see 2 teams you don't give a sh*t about?

Can you provide a source for this repeated claim?

...and I'm not asking for Tomato.

Can you provide a source for this repeated claim?

...and I'm not asking for Tomato.

2009 Revised stadium user agreement

The following text is from the MCC Fact Sheet[11]
  • The AFL and the MCC today announced they had agreed to a new Stadium Use Agreement, which will see a minimum of $4. 6m distributed annually to AFL clubs for the next 10 years, and the general agreement extend by five years to 2037.
  • The “home” clubs will receive an additional $100,000 per game for the next 10 years ($4.6m per annum) for AFL home and away matches played at the MCG. This figure is capped at 46 games and is indexed against CPI.
  • A new “attendance incentive” arrangement, which will see the AFL clubs receive:
    • $1.50 per head for attendances between 2.1m and 2.5m patrons
    • $2.00 per head for attendances between 2.5m to 3m patrons
    • $3.00 per head for attendances in excess of 3m patrons
  • Based on 2008 crowd figures, this would amount to an additional $1.2 million paid to the AFL.
  • The licence agreement between the MCC and the AFL will be extended for an additional five years, to 2037.
  • The AFL will provide a reasonable endeavours clause to ensure aggregate crowds per annum of 1.5m patrons.
  • The AFL will schedule 10 of the 12 best attended home and away matches at the MCG and current finals agreement will remain in place which includes the Grand Final.
  • The MCC has incurred substantial debt in order to create this great community facility.
  • In the space of 15 years, around $600 million has been invested to rebuild the stadium.
  • Today, the MCC has borrowings of around $320 million as a legacy of this development – equating to $32 million in principal and interest that needs to be paid every year.
  • After debt and interest, the new arrangement will see the MCC retain 31.1 per cent of ground revenues relating to football, which covers all running costs, wages, maintenance and capital works. The remaining 68.9 per cent is distributed to the AFL and its clubs

2009 Revised stadium user agreement

The following text is from the MCC Fact Sheet[11]
  • The AFL and the MCC today announced they had agreed to a new Stadium Use Agreement, which will see a minimum of $4. 6m distributed annually to AFL clubs for the next 10 years, and the general agreement extend by five years to 2037.
  • The “home” clubs will receive an additional $100,000 per game for the next 10 years ($4.6m per annum) for AFL home and away matches played at the MCG. This figure is capped at 46 games and is indexed against CPI.
  • A new “attendance incentive” arrangement, which will see the AFL clubs receive:
    • $1.50 per head for attendances between 2.1m and 2.5m patrons
    • $2.00 per head for attendances between 2.5m to 3m patrons
    • $3.00 per head for attendances in excess of 3m patrons
  • Based on 2008 crowd figures, this would amount to an additional $1.2 million paid to the AFL.
  • The licence agreement between the MCC and the AFL will be extended for an additional five years, to 2037.
  • The AFL will provide a reasonable endeavours clause to ensure aggregate crowds per annum of 1.5m patrons.
  • The AFL will schedule 10 of the 12 best attended home and away matches at the MCG and current finals agreement will remain in place which includes the Grand Final.
  • The MCC has incurred substantial debt in order to create this great community facility.
  • In the space of 15 years, around $600 million has been invested to rebuild the stadium.
  • Today, the MCC has borrowings of around $320 million as a legacy of this development – equating to $32 million in principal and interest that needs to be paid every year.
  • After debt and interest, the new arrangement will see the MCC retain 31.1 per cent of ground revenues relating to football, which covers all running costs, wages, maintenance and capital works. The remaining 68.9 per cent is distributed to the AFL and its clubs

The link you provided is dead.

I also have a suspicion that the AFL/MCC agreement may have changed since 2009--- especially as the Grand Final contract has been extended significantly beyond 2037.

The link you provided is dead.

Well * me i guess i made it up. well I cant help it that the MCC removes links when it updates its website now can I.
Fortunately its for documents like this i retain a copy on the industry site.

I also have a suspicion that the AFL/MCC agreement may have changed since 2009--- especially as the Grand Final contract has been extended significantly beyond 2037.

It was updated in 2018 and came into effect from the start of 2019. The term remains included.

KEY POINTS

• The existing agreement between MCC and AFL will be extended for an additional 20 years to 2057.
• The AFL Grand Final will remain at the MCG until at least 2057.
• MCG tenant clubs will receive greater financial returns from their home games at the MCG.
AFL will continue to schedule 10 of the 12 best attended home and away matches at the MCG.

Well fu** me i guess i made it up. well I cant help it that the MCC removes links when it updates its website now can I.

It was updated in 2018 and came into effect from the start of 2019. The term remains included.

KEY POINTS

• The existing agreement between MCC and AFL will be extended for an additional 20 years to 2057.
• MCG tenant clubs will receive greater financial returns from their home games at the MCG.
AFL will continue to schedule 10 of the 12 best attended home and away matches at the MCG.

Thank-you.

I appreciate the information.

You could've just provided the link the first time rather than getting sh*tty when I pointed out a dead link.

You could have found the link yourself instead of getting all narky with PapaG. It wasnt exactly taxing to find.

Why are you having a go at me? What did I do to upset you?

I asked Papa G a question and now you’re letting your frustrations out on me.

It’s not my fault your original link didn’t work.

Why are you having a go at me? What did I do to upset you?

I asked Papa G a question and now you’re letting your frustrations out on me.

It’s not my fault your original link didn’t work.

aint my fault either chief.

lol Im having a go. right. And your post to me was what exactly? Im not exactly seeing a lot of difference.

You could've just provided the link the first time rather than getting sh*tty when I pointed out a dead link.
You could have found the link yourself instead of getting all narky with PapaG. It wasnt exactly taxing to find.

Well fu** me i guess i made it up.

Because this comment was completely necessary when I pointed out that the link you provided was dead.

If you didn’t want to provide the information you didn’t have to. But to be condescending about it when you did just comes across abruptly.

How do you expect someone to respond to comments like the above?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because this comment was completely necessary when I pointed out that the link you provided was dead.

If you didn’t want to provide the information you didn’t have to. But to be condescending about it when you did just comes across abruptly.

How do you expect someone to respond to comments like the above?

I didnt attack anyone in my first post. I just said * me i guess i made it up. How you take that is up to you. And you seem to have taken it poorly.

Ha ha. The Wooster's billigerence on my side for once! We are living in crazy times.

Im not myself these days.

Origin is next level to any club game in any code in Australia. It’s the biggest rivalry there is in Aust sport.

It’s a huge game that hosts like Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth only see once in a blue moon. Every state aside from Tassie gets an AFL club game every week.
there's also 3 games.

To the OP's point, given there are expat fans and last night was a good example, i wouldn't be sad if Essendon went to Optus for a home game once a season without necessarily playing the Eagles.
to be honest i'd rather watch that on TV than go to a game at Marvel.

Well fu** me i guess i made it up. well I cant help it that the MCC removes links when it updates its website now can I.

KEY POINTS

The 10 of the best 12 attended home and away clause is stupid. What does that even mean? How are you supposed to know in advance what will be the highest 12 attended games?

looking back at 2019, there were 20 games at the MCG with attendances over 60,000. No other stadium holds more than that.

They could get rid of Anzac Day, Dream time, Easter Monday, Queens Birthday and the Richmond Carlton season opener and the MCG will still have the top 15 highest attended games.

The 10 of the best 12 attended home and away clause is stupid. What does that even mean? How are you supposed to know in advance what will be the highest 12 attended games?

looking back at 2019, there were 20 games at the MCG with attendances over 60,000. No other stadium holds more than that.

They could get rid of Anzac Day, Dream time, Easter Monday, Queens Birthday and the Richmond Carlton season opener and the MCG will still have the top 15 highest attended games.

Its to prevent the league moving games to Etihad. Otherwise the league might well try to make more money out of its own stadium and dump a whole stack of laow drawing games there instead. Its unlikely, but in the event the leagues relations with the MCC go pearshaped, needs to be contracted.

Re moving these big games out of Victoria ; I really think it's a case of nothing ventured, nothing gained. We will go to the QB
game on Monday at the SCG as a kind of show of support for what they are trying to do and the cause itself but we go to 16 or
17 games a year here in Sydney in a normal year anyway, and probably like going to games a bit more (or have too much free
time) than the average punters.
I get that Melbourne is the "home" of football and all that, but really unless the code can grow in the northern states it's always
just going to be half a national code. And sure, there are a whole bunch of people happy with the status quo. But it's not about
them. New money and followers have to come into the game from somewhere otherwise someone is going to have to tell the
players the salary cap is going to be the same for the next couple decades. The MCG/Marvel debate is a sideshow, going forward
it's what happens in Sydney and Qld that really counts. And yes, money is going to have to be invested. It's a business remember.

Last edited:
I like the idea of rotating these games, for one it at least changes up the same boring Big 4 matches we see every single year. And it would be a good advertisement for the game, as the Dreamtime game last year and this year were.

What about they have rotating block- home, away, neutral - for scheduling over multiple seasons?

Credit to Perth for supporting Saturday's game, but it would quickly become humdrum for them. It worked very well as a one-off with modified pricing.

The AFL selling games? The AFL doesn't put them on in the first place.

Individual clubs selling games has been around for decades, although they generally only sell their sh*t drawing games interstate.

AFL runs the fixture.

For any club to sell games, the AFL needs to cosign the deal.

So if the AFL doesn't like the deal, it wont happen.

It's also worth pointing out that if all Melbourne clubs played at home, there would be more games in Melbourne than the AFL approved grounds will take, so in effect, the AFL does require Vic clubs to 'sell' some games. (they like the PR of markets that are too small to have a club of their own getting games...Tas, Canberra, NT, etc.).

So yeah, the clubs sell the games, but the AFL is with them all the way pushing them along.

Lol. The corrupt MCG contract insists that at 10 of the top 12 "blockbuster" games be played at the MCG. The Victorian Government as chief protagonist will never allow it. Also, you'd have to think this "Dreamtime" game was some sort of weird one off? Who the fu** is going to regularly fork out monet to see 2 teams you don't give a sh*t about?

There you go using that word again.

Considering how often you allege corruption with such absolute certainty, I'm surprised we haven't heard about you winning your court case yet.

Ok, so what about rather than have two Victorian clubs play the Marquee games which are promoted and have no competition on TV - they share around, say the Dreamtime game, Anzac game etc with different teams, and at different venues.

The WAFL was miles ahead of the VFL in terms of participatation of indigenous players for example - so having one of the WA teams involved makes sense. Obviously there is a long history in South Australia also.
Nah im happy to let the minnow teams like richmond who struggled for 17k the other week to have a go at optus and make some badly needed coin

rattle some tins out the front too tigs - wa folk are generous hearted.

There you go using that word again.

Considering how often you allege corruption with such absolute certainty, I'm surprised we haven't heard about you winning your court case yet.

Who Am I taking to court?

This ain't Telsor v Big 4 Caravan Parks at the Bendigo County Court suing because there was a power surge whist she was taking out her curlers. I am not a Crown Prosecutor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back