SFNL Div 1 2018

Who wins the 2018 SFNL Div 1 premiership

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

All clubs that have played against East Malvern and St Kilda City have lodged a joint complaint with AFL VIC for them to loose all points to date.

Looking through the team lists for all games if they were over against Cheltenham, they are over every week. There is so much more to play out here and the fluidity of the rules and guidelines make it impossible to predict what will happen. I would say it’s more likely they lose more points than get those four back

All clubs that have played against East Malvern and St Kilda City have lodged a joint complaint with AFL VIC for them to loose all points to date.

Not entirely sure this is correct. Was chatting to a powerbroker from a club who now find themselves on top of the ladder. They played both StKC and EM early in the season for a win and loss. He suggested that their club had no intention of lodging a complaint and that they would leave it to the higher powers and abide by whatever falls from that. To paraphrase he was backing his club to finish at the pointy end irrespective of whether they get an extra 4 points or not.

This club will probably finish 1 - 3 anyway. Can only take him at his word but I wonder if they might take a different view if it meant the difference between finishing 5th or 6th ?

The person I feel sorry for in all this is Mike Palmer. He’s walked into an absolute shitstorm from agreements made weeks before he got into the chair. The perfect stitch up if you ask me

It’s not just the 4 points. It’s about the players that clubs pick for each game in the future . Why should the rest of the clubs have to abide by the rules and pick teams based on the points they are meant to have and other clubs just choose the value of there players in order to remain under the points.
It’s not just about the past but also the make up of each team going forward. East Malvern haven’t changed anything since they lost there points.

It’s not just the 4 points. It’s about the players that clubs pick for each game in the future . Why should the rest of the clubs have to abide by the rules and pick teams based on the points they are meant to have and other clubs just choose the value of there players in order to remain under the points.
It’s not just about the past but also the make up of each team going forward. East Malvern haven’t changed anything since they lost there points.
Yes they have, they haven't played the single player who was the cause of the 4 points posted to EMFC. Has played reserves all year bar for the 1 game at issue. EMFC have not had a 4 point player all year except 1 game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes they have, they haven't played the single player who was the cause of the 4 points posted to EMFC. Has played reserves all year bar for the 1 game at issue. EMFC have not had a 4 point player all year except 1 game

Not on their point list on the website they haven’t, you are correct. I think you will find if you do some research into the rules that a couple of those 3 pointers are not 3 pointers by definition. That’s what the current complaint from additional clubs is in regards to

Not on their point list on the website they haven’t, you are correct. I think you will find if you do some research into the rules that a couple of those 3 pointers are not 3 pointers by definition. That’s what the current complaint from additional clubs is in regards to

In the last round every other club had a minimum of one player who had 4 points or more. There were 21 players in the weekend who were 4 points or more.

East Malvern must have done some amazing and shrewd recruiting over the off season or ...

Haha yeah funny about that.
Look forward to the day when the complaining and victim mentality stops and concentration on the footy recommences again. If rules have been broken then penalties will/have be applied as they have been. Div 1 is as tight as it’s ever been with a really interesting season unfolding. I would hate to see it hijacked by this issue and the ability of a few to squeal loud about it. The points of all clubs has now been reviewed in detail. Surly it’s time to move on and discuss the positives which there are many if your actually watching the footy.

You might find that the league has given them dispensation for one reason or another, there may be a reason as to why a point has been reduced on some players

You might find that the league has given them dispensation for one reason or another, there may be a reason as to why a point has been reduced on some players

**cough** The league, or an East Malvern affiliated SFNL Chairman of Board?**cough**

Because looking at timelines I'm not sure the CEO was running things when dispensation would have been approved

Look forward to the day when the complaining and victim mentality stops and concentration on the footy recommences again. If rules have been broken then penalties will/have be applied as they have been. Div 1 is as tight as it’s ever been with a really interesting season unfolding. I would hate to see it hijacked by this issue and the ability of a few to squeal loud about it. The points of all clubs has now been reviewed in detail. Surly it’s time to move on and discuss the positives which there are many if your actually watching the footy.

Unfortunately Bruce this board was dead. As one of the very few who tried to provide some discussion it was apparent that no one seemed interested in talking about football. So if nothing else this issue has livened things up.

I’m not fussed if either way of the clubs in question lose or retain their points. It’s a terrible look for the comp so I probably lean more towards a fine or other sanction as I would hate to see ladder positions compromised by something like. However it is apparent there is a real smell about it.

It is quite obvious that several players (not just one) who should have a higher points value do not. Most of us don’t know if that is due to an admin error, lack of due diligence, an attempt to deceive or that pre-approval was in fact obtained from the SFL. If it is the latter then the clubs get their points back the SFL need to explain the lack of transparency. They also need to be prepared to be bombarded with similar requests from other clubs and explain why identical requests were not approved. If it is any of the first three then the clubs might will be in strife. Either way hope it gets resolved soon.

**cough** The league, or an East Malvern affiliated SFNL Chairman of Board?**cough**

Because looking at timelines I'm not sure the CEO was running things when dispensation would have been approved
Unfortunately Bruce this board was dead. As one of the very few who tried to provide some discussion it was apparent that no one seemed interested in talking about football. So if nothing else this issue has livened things up.

I’m not fussed if either way of the clubs in question lose or retain their points. It’s a terrible look for the comp so I probably lean more towards a fine or other sanction as I would hate to see ladder positions compromised by something like. However it is apparent there is a real smell about it.

It is quite obvious that several players (not just one) who should have a higher points value do not. Most of us don’t know if that is due to an admin error, lack of due diligence, an attempt to deceive or that pre-approval was in fact obtained from the SFL. If it is the latter then the clubs get their points back the SFL need to explain the lack of transparency. They also need to be prepared to be bombarded with similar requests from other clubs and explain why identical requests were not approved. If it is any of the first three then the clubs might will be in strife. Either way hope it gets resolved soon.

Surely you can't be serious?? Approving some but denying others?? I hope you're incorrect

puzzle.jpg

Surely you can't be serious?? Approving some but denying others?? I hope you're incorrect

View attachment 507831

I’m absolutely serious about there being a smell about this. However my other comments might have been a bit clumsy. Clubs almost always just apply the PPV as per the policy. If EM, StKC or others have managed to secure a discount in the pre-season and that approval is documented then well done to them. I am aware of some particular cases where a club has sought clarification from the SFNL based on different interpretations (mainly around what constitutes a 2, 3 or 4 pointer) but have been directed to go with the higher PPV. Whether these are the same circumstances to the matters currently under review I’m not entirely sure but I believe there may be some similarities. (Concede i probably should have said "similar" rather than "identical").

What I am suggesting is that if it becomes apparent that EM, StKC have been granted a discount in the then clubs will be lining up to do the same and the league better be prepared for the $hit storm that will follow. I’m also of the view that if the aforementioned clubs have gone through the correct channels and have been granted points reduction then they cannot be at fault, irrespective of whether the decision of the league is right or wrong. If however they have applied their own incorrect interpretation then they are in for the high jump. I guess time will tell which way it falls.

Last edited:
I’m absolutely serious about there being a smell about this. However my other comments might have been a bit clumsy. Clubs almost always just apply the PPV as per the policy. If EM, StKC or others have managed to secure a discount in the pre-season and that approval is documented then well done to them. I am aware of some particular cases where a club has sought clarification from the SFNL based on different interpretations (mainly around what constitutes a 2, 3 or 4 pointer) but have been directed to go with the higher PPV. Whether these are the same circumstances to the matters currently under review I’m not entirely sure but I believe there may be some similarities. (Concede i probably should have said "similar" rather than "identical").

What I am suggesting is that if it becomes apparent that EM, StKC have been granted a discount in the then clubs will be lining up to do the same and the league better be prepared for the $hit storm that will follow. I’m also of the view that if the aforementioned clubs have gone through the correct channels and have been granted points reduction then they cannot be at fault, irrespective of whether the decision of the league is right or wrong. If however they have applied their own incorrect interpretation then they are in for the high jump. I guess time will tell which way it falls.

In short, it's very messy.

Last edited:

Billy, the league will have to go through all clubs in all divisions to sort this out. Its not just a Div 1 issue, there are at least 3 Div 2 clubs rumoured to have made the same mistakes, 1 in particular being a game off top spot is well over. If it needs to be discussed further with the league then get it sorted now otherwise the whole comp will be laughing stock and the finals will be a farce. My suggestion would be leave well alone for this season, whats done is done and allow clubs to get on with playing footy. To the lesser clubs who are crying foul, just try to win a few games.

Absolutely correct BB, all this huff and puff about 1 point over when they lose by 10 goals or more is just poor form. The season is going really well, very tight with 6 teams fighting for 5 spots, the other 4 teams gone already and we are not even at the half way mark. Injuries will play a big part in the make up of the five.

Billy, the league will have to go through all clubs in all divisions to sort this out. Its not just a Div 1 issue, there are at least 3 Div 2 clubs rumoured to have made the same mistakes, 1 in particular being a game off top spot is well over. If it needs to be discussed further with the league then get it sorted now otherwise the whole comp will be laughing stock and the finals will be a farce. My suggestion would be leave well alone for this season, whats done is done and allow clubs to get on with playing footy. To the lesser clubs who are crying foul, just try to win a few games.

Absolutely correct BB, all this huff and puff about 1 point over when they lose by 10 goals or more is just poor form. The season is going really well, very tight with 6 teams fighting for 5 spots, the other 4 teams gone already and we are not even at the half way mark. Injuries will play a big part in the make up of the five.

Move.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back