Recommitted Shaun Higgins [signed a contract to the end of 2021]

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this a joke?

Relax.

It's just some scuttlebutt getting around.

He's mates with LDU from Haileybury and he's struggling to break into that side at the moment.

There's been murmurings about him for most of the second half of the season.

I think Higgins is worth more than most recent 30 year olds like Cooney etc, who were right over the hill by that point. He's still a top 20 midfielder in the comp, quite easily.

I think he's closer to Deledio's worth than what Hawthorn let Sam Mitchell go for, for example.

I guess it's what you would rate Constable at...

As much as I think Constable is very tradable, I wouldn't be doing it in a Higgins deal...

think cats will say to North keep Higgins...

Without knowing a thing about the potential trade for Higgins.....

PROs - Currently Geelong are top of the tree but not convincing over the last two months if they dont get the flag l could see a trade going ahead, With the ageing champs at the club Higgins could be enough to be an automatic replacement for Kelly & keep the window open for the older players to nab a flag but still give you potentially 2 additional picks inside the top 15-20 over the next two years that does not sacrifice the future.

CONs - Trading for Higgins adds another top age player that sees a high volume of elite players depart the club in two/three years which the Cats had occur only 6 or so years ago & managed very well but if it grabs you another two shots at a flag even if he is only there for two years its worth it l would have thought.

Interesting times ahead......personally l would like to keep Higgins but the reason he would leave would be to a better positioned club & chance for a flag in the time he has left & if there is interest he would command a bit more than what has been speculated as a trade l would guess. Like others though l think this is posturing for a better personal result which is normal.

C.Scott comes to Danger Selwood Hawking H.Taylor etc....Hey guys we can trade a player from our seconds for Higgins what do you think?

Danger "l have not one a flag & l have only a few years left......nah lm happy to minimize our chances & not win a flag & keep the kid"

Talk of Geelong not trading for Higgins in this example is a Big Footy value thing not a real life scenario

Last edited:

With the ageing champs at the club Higgins could be enough to be an automatic replacement for Kelly & keep the window open for the older players to nab a flag but still give you potentially 2 additional picks inside the top 15-20 over the next two years that does not sacrifice the future.

Contested Possession Rate 2019

Kelly - 47.44%
Higgins - 30.52%

Not really a like-for-like replacement, but that could actually work in Geelong's favour, in terms of balancing out their midfield a bit more. Danger, Joel Selwood, Narkle, Parfitt, Guthrie and Scott Selwood (if he plays on) to use in the middle, Higgins, Duncan, Menegola (better used as a winger than a half forward), Cunico and Dahlhaus (when not playing half forward) to use on the outside.

King is right, teams with cap space will sell cap space for picks or to get much better picks to contending teams...

Comes down Cats wont pay that much in terms of trade or draft, so i think North will keep him...

A win win scenario as we will deliberate set the trade bar high, meaning lower first rounder or no trade. If no deal, then higgins will be forced to play out his contract. Geelong needs higgin much more than we need geelong's picks. At the end of 2020, higgin is turning 33, his value diminishes further as our need for him would be less than our need at the start of 2019. Higgin's camp would know this in that he has nowhere else to go, him getting a strong finish to the end of his career very much depends on whether or not we can be satisfied at the trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A win win scenario as we will deliberate set the trade bar high, meaning lower first rounder or no trade. If no deal, then higgins will be forced to play out his contract. Geelong needs higgin much more than we need geelong's picks. At the end of 2020, higgin is turning 33, his value diminishes further as our need for him would be less than our need at the start of 2019. Higgin's camp would know this in that he has nowhere else to go, him getting a strong finish to the end of his career very much depends on whether or not we can be satisfied at the trade.
Higgins is a luxury for the cats not a need, the only loser out of this will be Higgins ambition to play finals if he stays at North, he will still get paid roughly the same at any club and I implore North and Higgins management to see if GWS can offer a deal to suit both parties....

Geelong hold us to the lowest score in our history.
We respond by paying two of our best players to play for them.

Goldstein we'll take UFA. You can keep Higgins.

Higgins is a luxury for the cats not a need, the only loser out of this will be Higgins ambition to play finals if he stays at North, he will still get paid roughly the same at any club and I implore North and Higgins management to see if GWS can offer a deal to suit both parties....

At 32 ones market value diminishes, won’t need him for success

As long as you pay him enough to get 1st round compo, it's a deal.

We'll pay him well because we need him (far more than Higgins) but the afl compo system skews it against age i doubt they will give you much of a compo pick no matter which club he goes to.

Dees finished top 4 last year - Brisbane bottom 6. Good lucky writing a team off off a year out from 2020 finals.

If Kelly walks you could be the Dees and if Higgins stays we could be the Lions. The only winners then would be Kelly and Higgins.

We'll pay him well because we need him (far more than Higgins) but the afl compo system skews it against age i doubt they will give you much of a compo pick no matter which club he goes to.

Agreed. We got zero compo for Waite, despite North giving him a pretty good wage.

The whole FA system is ****** if you ask me.
Think Higgins is a year or two old for Geelong's list age demographic.

Someone like Dan Butler would be a better option for the Cats,even if isn't near Higgins level of excellence at this point in time.

North would be better off making him see out his contract then. I don't reckon there's much in this outside of media/manager beatup.
Agree with this, and on the cats side, if they can't do it with Tim Kelly, GAJ, Taylor, and significant midfield minutes from Selwood this season then they're SAS not going be able to lose all that and reload next next year no matter who they bring in

Relax.

It's just some scuttlebutt getting around.

He's mates with LDU from Haileybury and he's struggling to break into that side at the moment.

There's been murmurings about him for most of the second half of the season.

I think Higgins is worth more than most recent 30 year olds like Cooney etc, who were right over the hill by that point. He's still a top 20 midfielder in the comp, quite easily.

I think he's closer to Deledio's worth than what Hawthorn let Sam Mitchell go for, for example.

I guess it's what you would rate Constable at...
The Deledio comparison is probably apt. Richmond asked the cats for one of their good young mids. The cats told Richmond to bugger off. You might have noticed deledio never ended up at the cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back