Sheffield Shield Round 5: Tas v Vic @ Blundstone Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of fortunate LBWs for the Vics today if you ask me, especially the one that got McDermott.
Screenshot (270).png

Can just see the stump milliseconds before contact. Not an absolute howler as I'd say DRS would find impact to be Umpire's Call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That McDermott one looks alright on that still, DRS set up for Domestic Games would be interesting, the streams aren't the greatest but there are always a few questionable decisions every time you watch

I reckon one of the lefties though was a bit unlucky, but at the same time one of them got away with one as well off Holland where he was absolutely plumb, even the umpire stood there whilst they were running considering it. That was early on the Doran/Michael Partnership as well

With most states starting to import players from elsewhere I'm probably the only person who still cares about this.

But with Bailey, Faulkner and Doolan out of Tassie's team, I reckon we're at a new low for players who are actually Tasmanian. I think Webster and Rainbird are probably it.

That sucks. It must be shithouse being a Tasmanian kid going into the U19s side, or going into a club game on a hot run of form knowing that you're unlikely to ever get a crack at the state team ahead of guys that weren't good enough to play for their home state.

The Tigers suck this year. And if we're going to suck, I would much, much rather see Tasmanians sucking than guys who were pulled out of grade cricket in Melbourne.

Agree with Nobby 100%

What's the deal with Tim Paine? I understand the guy has underperformed but surely if was to be given another chance, this was it. Has he played his last Shield game for Tassie?

I have no problem with Tas getting players in from other states if our local players are any good they will get a game, it should be about trying to get the best players in the country playing state cricket no matter what state your from.

And even tho it's been tough over the last few years Tas has done very good over the years getting players from other states and turning some of those into test players.

I have no problem with Tas getting players in from other states if our local players are any good they will get a game, it should be about trying to get the best players in the country playing state cricket no matter what state your from.

And even tho it's been tough over the last few years Tas has done very good over the years getting players from other states and turning some of those into test players.
Agree, but there's a tipping point, and with guys like Hancock and Stevenson who really only had 1-2 years solid performance at Vic Premier level, the standard has really fallen

Agree, but there's a tipping point, and with guys like Hancock and Stevenson who really only had 1-2 years solid performance at Vic Premier level, the standard has really fallen

Well i don't know a lot about those players but obviously Tas think they can offer something and willing to give them a chance, at the end of the day you still pick the best 11 or players u think can take you forward, If local players are good enough they will be giving the chance, Just like webster has over the last few years getting lot of games into him and he is coming along ok.

but yes over the past few years we do seem to be struggling to get our own into the team, but before that and for such a small state we have produced a lot of good first class players.

I completely understand this argument. But for every Jackson Bird or Ben Dunk we find, there are 5 guys who get a 2 year contract, fail to make an impression, and go back to their home state after the deal is up.

I get the point that the Shield comp should find the best players in the country, but if players are that good you have to wonder why they weren't getting games with their home states - those guys mentioned above are definitely the exception, not the norm.

And in any case, I don't agree that this is the sole aim of the Shield (nor is the sole aim of the Shield to win it) - a balance has to be struck between trying to produce Australian-quality players, but also producing a pathway for young Tasmanian players to show their abilities.

Agree with Nobby 100%

What's the deal with Tim Paine? I understand the guy has underperformed but surely if was to be given another chance, this was it. Has he played his last Shield game for Tassie?

Doherty is the other one I wonder about. 2 seasons ago he was captaining the team when Bailey was on Australia duties and Paine was hurt again. How did he fall off the map so quickly with guys like Rose, and theoretically Boyce replacing him? Those guys certainly weren't measurably better than Doherty.

I completely understand this argument. But for every Jackson Bird or Ben Dunk we find, there are 5 guys who get a 2 year contract, fail to make an impression, and go back to their home state after the deal is up.

I get the point that the Shield comp should find the best players in the country, but if players are that good you have to wonder why they weren't getting games with their home states - those guys mentioned above are definitely the exception, not the norm.

And in any case, I don't agree that this is the sole aim of the Shield (nor is the sole aim of the Shield to win it) - a balance has to be struck between trying to produce Australian-quality players, but also producing a pathway for young Tasmanian players to show their abilities.

Yeah some guys don't work out but that happen in every sport of recruitment, As for saying if players aren't getting games in the home state you have to wonder why a side like NSW is very hard to break into. Just look at someone like Cowan who at NSW he was a Avg first class player but moved down here gave him more of a go more responsibility and he had some wonderful seasons and played test cricket, Then there is a guy like Bird who was probably never going to get a gig for NSW and now he is in the test team.

It wasn't that long ago we where winning shield titles with the likes of a handful of interstate players and local players such as Bailey Faulkner Paine Butterworth and Hilfenhaus. So there is a pathway for young Tas cricketers and if you are good enough you will be giving games.

Now last few years it seems we are struggling to bring our own players in i'm not sure if that has something to do with our programs for young players or maybe we just haven't got the talent at the moment.

Handscombe just played a very ordinary shot to get out. Did the Ricky Ponting charge forward at the swinging ball and edged to second slip. Vics 5/90 in overcast conditions...

Over confident?

Christian nearly caught in gully second ball blazing away...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back