Opinion Should AFL in 2020 Be "Cancelled"

Will football be played again in 2020

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to probably ask scott morrison that. Virus numbers are starting to look good though. The key is can we beat this thing by winter. If not then I would say season over. its either return to normal in late may or october.

Scotty from marketing doesn't know, I doubt we are going to beat it in a few weeks. That's the tough part about it all, I feel like the AFL are preparing not to play behind the scenes taking control of clubs finances and securing the 500- 1 bil loan would be looking at 2021

Absolutely. I'm staggered they persisted with starting the season after seeing the Grand Prix debacle. Time to accept 2020 has far bigger priorities than footy.

So if the NSW premier thinks this that social distancing measures stay in place untill a vaccine is found. It's going to be pretty difficult to get any football going this season.

Would need to become extremely creative

PhotoPictureResizer_200407_115149460_crop_1440x2461.jpg

So if the NSW premier thinks this that social distancing measures stay in place untill a vaccine is found. It's going to be pretty difficult to get any football going this season.

Would need to become extremely creative

View attachment 853648
someone needs to tell the leaders that a perfect vaccine is quite unlikely.

It probably will be cancelled.
We have a strong hand in the draft this year which will also probably be cancelled.

In that case I presume our picks carry forward until ND 2021. Would be interesting, as the crop of available high talent would conceivably double. Could be one small upside in an otherwise terrible predicament for everyone. Goes without saying pretty awful for 15-17YO TACs, particularly those in the pick 35 range and above for this and next year.

someone needs to tell the leaders that a perfect vaccine is quite unlikely.

Very valid point seeds, they are going to need to push forward before this vaccine arrives can't keep us cooped up for to many months

In that case I presume our picks carry forward until ND 2021. Would be interesting, as the crop of available high talent would conceivably double. Could be one small upside in an otherwise terrible predicament for everyone. Goes without saying pretty awful for 15-17YO TACs, particularly those in the pick 35 range and above for this and next year.

All those scenarios I will very interested to hear the AFLs views on if it looks like we don't get much footy.

Glass half full I suppose though, maybe wells can bargain hunt and pull something with goldcoasts pick 11.

In the scenario the AFL does get back on the field these early games are vital because Geelongs draw early is tricky WC, GC, Haw that could easily become 1-3.

Especially with an older list I'm not sure stopping then doing a mini preseason into games that are shorter and going to be lighting quick is my imagination.

I’m hoping that a return is possible,
to see some footy of course but also to see off some champs and hopefully get some games into the next layer, see if worth keeping on the list (if lists then go to 35).

Best case scenario -
If growth curve in all States flattens throughout April and then remaining infections declines in May AND permission is granted by Federal and State Governments then could recommence by June/July. Even then would require incredible logistical solutions. Not sure a ‘hub bubble’ would be viable for 17 odd weeks. More likely charter planes and very strictly controlled training arrangements. All very costly to the AFL and clubs.

Even if the above eventuated, the AFL might be tempted to wait 2-3 weeks after NRL starts, to see if there are infections.
Either way, unlikely to be crowds even if they relax social distancing. Just too much risk to AFL. Would make for a dreadful GF atmosphere. Perhaps if everything else okay they could have maybe 5-10K at Marvel, with specified arrival times for spectators, temperature checks at entry, hand disinfectant bottles everywhere and spread out allocated seating. Massive crowd control challenge and highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Recent modelling by the University of Sydney found that with spatial distancing the virus could be all but gone from Australia by the second week of June, and improved contact tracing could probably prevent a resurgence of tHe disease.

So in theory, it is not ridiculous to think a RTP could occur by July.

Personally, I could handle the whole season being cancelled - to be sure , to be sure!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone actually missing footy right now? I have to be honest, I have been shocked at how little I have missed it.

Maybe when the weather turns lousy in June/July it will be a bigger deal for me, but as it currently stands I have just replaced it with other stuff.

It makes me think that the AFL is in bigger trouble than I realised.

Is anyone actually missing footy right now? I have to be honest, I have been shocked at how little I have missed it.

Maybe when the weather turns lousy in June/July it will be a bigger deal for me, but as it currently stands I have just replaced it with other stuff.

It makes me think that the AFL is in bigger trouble than I realised.

Yeah not missing football per se, Geez though I thought my life wasn't that active lol.

I realize now how god damn boring it is at home when you can't go anywhere.

All those little things you do to pass a bit of time. Slip down with friends for a feed, go for a swim, quick pot after work. All sport is gone so ironically without NBA on 😂 the midweek day off in just not as inviting as it was before.

Head away for the weekend

Going to work is almost like a day out at the moment lol

Positive quota fulfillment:

Atleast a cancelled season gives Cocky more chance to get his body right.

missing a season makes last years future draft pick trading look even more brilliant. We effectively have now traded a current late second rounder for a first rounder.

the NRL could die if football is cancelled for a season. Afl will largely be fine.

Yeah not missing football per se, Geez though I thought my life wasn't that active lol.

I realize now how god damn boring it is at home when you can't go anywhere.

All those little things you do to pass a bit of time. Slip down with friends for a feed, go for a swim, quick pot after work. All sport is gone so ironically without NBA on 😂 the midweek day off in just not as inviting as it was before.

Head away for the weekend

Going to work is almost like a day out at the moment lol

I'm similar with my thinking on things - not necessarily missing the footy but missing everything else that goes with it

I've got family who know for the 6 months between March & September that my weekends are generally taken up with sport - if it's not AFL then I'm at the basketball (now known as NBL1), pending no clash between my teams as that's when it gets frustrating

With no sport it's realising that there's really not a lot on TV on a Friday or Saturday night - something I don't normally worry too much about during winter

Then it's the little things like getting a coffee during the week, catching up with mates or going out to dinner, with those things not really an option at the moment - does mean saving money though, which I guess is good.

Positive quota fulfillment:

Atleast a cancelled season gives Cocky more chance to get his body right.

missing a season makes last years future draft pick trading look even more brilliant. We effectively have now traded a current late second rounder for a first rounder.

the NRL could die if football is cancelled for a season. Afl will largely be fine.

I guess it speeds Geelongs process up a bit though.

Ablett, Selwood, Taylor particularly probably going to be hindered by this stop start. Because they got so little footy in, it's like 1 & a quarter pre-seasons with this extended 2 month break.

Steven, Jenkins brought in to help in 2020.

No AFL will survive, but the financial implications of the loans needed to secure the future of all 18 clubs. Means it will be a challenging future coaching staff and administration working inside the soft cap will be cut down to a quarter. AFL
lists will be smaller, allegedly already 4 or 5 clubs in financial peril.

It's not really football per se that's the issue all these clubs have investments with money. Land, Venues, Carlton has pokies and so on. So removing the revenue from games and relying on membership as your main income is what's creating all the issues.

Even crown axed 11,000 employees today. When repayments live in the hundreds of thousands per week and your income drops 80% it's not pretty for anybody

Last edited:
Footy Classified was suggesting that the current plan is to isolate teams for a few weeks in two or three "hubs" - WA is one definite, other possibles include Tassie, Adelaide, and Far north Qld - and play what sounds like a tournament style comp with games every day. The key thing is that this is to coincide with the Olympics, which of course suddenly makes AFL a premium product and helps the broadcaster.

Hard to say at this stage whether it will work, or could work. But like some others here, I'm actually interested in how easy it's been to find other things to do. I have a feeling, as someone says above, that people might be way more inclined to want to do things, post lockdown, than sit and watch other people do them.

Footy Classified was suggesting that the current plan is to isolate teams for a few weeks in two or three "hubs" - WA is one definite, other possibles include Tassie, Adelaide, and Far north Qld - and play what sounds like a tournament style comp with games every day. The key thing is that this is to coincide with the Olympics, which of course suddenly makes AFL a premium product and helps the broadcaster.

Hard to say at this stage whether it will work, or could work. But like some others here, I'm actually interested in how easy it's been to find other things to do. I have a feeling, as someone says above, that people might be way more inclined to want to do things, post lockdown, than sit and watch other people do them.

Be interesting the developments after may 11 when the state of emergency could perhaps be downgraded. And groups of 100 and 500 outside again will be allowed.

Free movement and if it wasn't for the Lachie Hunters of the world and a few idiots we really should be highlighting how ridiculous some of the social distancing fines handed out are.

AFL & Australia has a heap of hurdles coming into winter so I have my fingers crossed. This is killing to many overseas to risk getting "lazy" with protocol. No vaccine in sight and no other sport has been even vaguely close to getting back on court, park, ice etc.

So it's all highly optimistic to say the very least.

I'm still working but I would prefer football to come back when everyone is allowed out again. I'm just not a fan of this travelling of large numbers in and out of different states.

All for the sake of the AFL gets to turn over some profit.

Yes I agree though football won't be my priority no.1 lol. Would love to just sink into a chair down the local and relax with the paper 😂

As Dylan said I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours.

I think a byeless season with short breaks makes us a sure thing.
Play on mcduff

I believe the quote was what if coronavirus disappears by July haha just for context

It appears that the AFL is really being guided on any 'save the season' scenarios by the broadcasters - for example trying to fill the Channel 7 gap that has opened when the Olympics were cancelled, and also with 7 having Cricket, pretty much being warned off the end of the year so as not to clash with cricket.
Getting harder and herder to see any footy being played (without the crowd), and more broadly any return to crowd based sport or entertainment until there is a vaccine. Of course, this will leave a bigger financial crater, so may drive even more fundamental change.

Back