Opinion Should AFL in 2020 Be "Cancelled"

Will football be played again in 2020

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is anyone actually missing footy right now? I have to be honest, I have been shocked at how little I have missed it.
Same.
I am still working. By the time I come home I'm over being out and about. I don't watch much tv apart from sport. The idea of some sort of hybrid, crowdless competition doesn't really do it for me either.
As someone else said, I might miss it more as the days get shorter and colder.

Only thing that disappoints me is not being able to watch what could possibly be Ablett’s last year. Apart from that I’m not overly fussed to be honest, it’s only a sport.

I reckon the season ‘should’ be cancelled, but I understand that if that did happen the financial ramifications would be damning for some clubs, so I get why they are eager to get a season going, but I’ll have very little interest in it, and won’t care much who wins the flag, as it’s not a proper season and there will be a * to the team that does.

I reckon the season ‘should’ be cancelled, but I understand that if that did happen the financial ramifications would be damning for some clubs
This is basically it. The competition is so significantly compromised at this point that it's almost farcical to continue with it, but the league is a business and it needs the money to survive. The more money they can squash into this year, the more it's going to alleviate the impact this whole thing will have on the league and clubs in years to come.

I await this season's return but it's going to be hard to get invested in it regardless of how things play out. I feel it's going to seem like a bunch of exhibition matches just being completed because they have to, much like the round 1 games. Our list is quite old, so this could have been the last year we were up the top end for a while as we seek to turnover and rejuvenate in years to come.

This is basically it. The competition is so significantly compromised at this point that it's almost farcical to continue with it, but the league is a business and it needs the money to survive. The more money they can squash into this year, the more it's going to alleviate the impact this whole thing will have on the league and clubs in years to come.

I await this season's return but it's going to be hard to get invested in it regardless of how things play out. I feel it's going to seem like a bunch of exhibition matches just being completed because they have to, much like the round 1 games. Our list is quite old, so this could have been the last year we were up the top end for a while as we seek to turnover and rejuvenate in years to come.
You never know it could give the club the chance to try new things such as Blicavs in the ruck and Henderson in the forward line

I get back on the board after 40 days. And this is what I see first up. Have missed not a thing.
I highly recommend staying away form CS threads too... its looping again..

PSA here for sure.

GO Catters

Revisiting my own personal feelings, I still reckon they should turf the season. I just can't seem to care about the footy this year. Maybe as society gradually unlocks again and I can go to the pub once more I might start wanting my footy fix again but as of right now? Turf the season. Add a bonus year to any playing contracts, pay out the retiring ones and turf the rest.

Heck No!

Reduced season and games, that's fine... extend season into October.

Racing in November

BOOYA!

:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need beer in social setting. Smashing cans at home is in no way shape or form the same. Sport is meaningless without it!!!
HA!
Smashing cans is good all the time, just crank some ACDC or something with it. Don't be a sooky :)

ps. I don't listen to ACDC... though being a Cats fan, I'd think that was high percentage play :)

meh - its a game, the fixture will be unfair and matches often meaningless. If played who ever wins the premiership will have a bigger asterisk next to their name than any premiership cup. But footy is still footy, do you think former Fitzroy fans are bemoaning the 1915 season when they they came last in a four team competition and yet still won the premiership?? No crowds, no atmosphere, maybe a little hard to watch, but the blank ink in the papers does not become any less black, the gold embossed on the trophy board glitters no less in the following years.

BRING IT ON!

meh - its a game, the fixture will be unfair and matches often meaningless. If played who ever wins the premiership will have a bigger asterisk next to their name than any premiership cup. But footy is still footy, do you think former Fitzroy fans are bemoaning the 1915 season when they they came last in a four team competition and yet still won the premiership?? No crowds, no atmosphere, maybe a little hard to watch, but the blank ink in the papers does not become any less black, the gold embossed on the trophy board glitters no less in the following years.

BRING IT ON!
How will the fixture be unfair in a 17 round season? This year could very well be the only one without an asterik

Revisiting my own personal feelings, I still reckon they should turf the season. I just can't seem to care about the footy this year. Maybe as society gradually unlocks again and I can go to the pub once more I might start wanting my footy fix again but as of right now? Turf the season. Add a bonus year to any playing contracts, pay out the retiring ones and turf the rest.
So because you dont care everyone else has to suffer? Talk about selfish. Egotistical in fact.

I was about to suggest that the Metricon crowd would finally get to see some wins, but then remembered there's no crowd, so won't really be any different to normal:

EAGLES WILL BE BASED ON GOLD COAST: REPORT

West Coast will base themselves on the Gold Coast to train and play matches, unless a call is made by the state’s chief health official, according to Eagles premiership player Karl Langdon.

Both the Eagles and Fremantle need to secure permission to fly in and out of their bases for matches without serving mandatory quarantine periods upon re-entry, otherwise they could have to temporarily relocate.

Just a personal opinion, matey. Last time I checked my word was NOT law:p
Its one thing to have a personal opinion but the reason for your opinion was selfish and egoist. You didnt want them to play because you didnt feel interested, not because you thought it was unsafe or rushed or unfair but because your were just not into it.

It's good the way some players expanded their employability during this isolation period.
We saw farm work, production line work, and even our skipper finding novel ways to mop floors.

The only good thing is just play kids get games into them for next year

This is a real concern given that no AFL-listed players can compete in a second-tier competition this year. Not ideal for the likes of Constable, Stephens, Fogarty, Kreuger, De Koning etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back