Should Bruce McAvaney call the 2021 AFL Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wolfpac

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2005
Earth
AFL Club
Essendon
Bruce McAvaney stopped calling AFL last year. But only announced that he was stepping down at the start of the year. Unlike Dennis Cometti, Bruce never got a farewell Grand Final to call. For someone who has been calling AFL Football since 1990, it would be good to give the man a farewell game so that fans of him can hear something "Special" for one last time.

I know that some people didn't like his calling, but his 30 years of service to AFL should be celebrated.

It's almost unbelievable, isn't it?
I'm annoyed that I didn't compile that myself.

This is too good...

All in all, Bruce asked a total of 55 rhetorical questions over the course of approximately 102 minutes of game time. Let’s say that 80 per cent of the time in commentary is from the play-by-play callers and 20 per cent by the colour.

And let’s be generous and say that it was an even 50/50 split of airtime between Bruce and Hamish, even though the latter probably had slightly more.

That means Bruce had around 41 minutes of airtime on Sunday’s call. In that period, he referred to his co-commentators by name 55 times at a rate of around 1.38 per minute. He also asked 1.38 rhetorical questions per minute. This is astounding.

1627622728745.png
1627622800366.png

Last edited:
Drop BT during the finals? Unprecedented.
Can’t do that think of the people who would suffer from the earthquake and tsunami if that happened.
As if BT was to be replaced as a finals commentator his double chin and ego would hit the floor that fast causing the above to happen 😃.
Let’s face it Taylor like Eddie,Caroline Wilson,Gerard Healy,Luke Darcy and Jabba the Hutchy all fall into the catogory of EFT.
Egotistical Footballing Terrorist

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruce was my favourite caller growing up in the 90's, him and Friday Night Football was the bomb.
Bruce was known for his love of statistics for which your post would have done him proud 🙂
This was always an issue for me. He loved a good stat, but had no actual insight into what was taking place before him.

I was just watching the women's 5,000m heats in track & field. They're coming into the home straight. "So & so in 5th, her dad was a cross-country runner, so....well placed at the moment." Like, wtf?

Bruce had good energy and a charismatic voice.

Its a pitty he used it to say a ton of inane or just weird s**t. Also appeared to not believe in personal space and loved to touch.

I love quirky people, but he often seemed to make me feel slightly uncomfortable to watch.

The reason why we have s**t commentator stocks goes a lot deeper than Bruce retiring.

This was always an issue for me. He loved a good stat, but had no actual insight into what was taking place before him.

I was just watching the women's 5,000m heats in track & field. They're coming into the home straight. "So & so in 5th, her dad was a cross-country runner, so....well placed at the moment." Like, wtf?

Basil has taken over with .............."and they're in the pool".

I wonder if the splash gave it away?

How many commentators did channel 7 have during the 90's, 2 in the box plus a boundary rider?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back