Should the Cats V Tigers be played at the MCG?

Should the Cats V Tigers be played at the MCG?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am the only one that has raised the most important principle of a level playing field. That has been and always will be my beef about this arrangement that 4 other clubs don't ever play there. Nobody wants to discuss this extremely important issue here.

I am the only one that has raised the most important principle of a level playing field. That has been and always will be my beef about this arrangement that 4 other clubs don't ever play there. Nobody wants to discuss this extremely important issue here.
If we can only get the 9 games down here and not the 11 we are requesting, then absolutely it should be a rotation between the larger drawing Melbourne clubs. Richmond one year, followed by Collingwood the next, followed by Hawthorn, Essendon, etc etc. Each team plays down here once every 3-4 years. In a perfect world the AFL let us have all 11, but that doesn't seem likely.

My point is you brought up an example of us playing GWS and its 500 fans on a cold and wet Sunday afternoon. Even Collingwood under cover only got 22,000 fans to their game. Your team played them on a Saturday and we still got over 20% more people to the game. So you know what they say about glass houses...

We can't get those 33,000 to fit down at Geelong.
It's not about a comp who gets the biggest crowds. My point is every club gets 11 home games. Richmond had a big clash against a top 4 side at home on the weekend and got 33000. You can't claim now that 70000 are going to miss the Geelong game. Richmond fans like all clubs fans get home games to attend.

This does need to change.

It's still not level, but at the very least I think after the next stage is completed, then the big drawing clubs should have to come down, even on rotation, with lower drawing clubs playing more regularly.

I can't understand why Carlton hasn't played there recently. Maybe Mike Fitzpatrick had a say in that.

Interestingly, if variable ticket pricing sticks around, it's quite possible that the AFL would prefer more big Melbourne teams play there. It could become a pretty hot ticket and the price could be higher and still sell out.

Few would know this, but a number of years ago the GFC issued a survey that I participated in, regarding fixturing in the future with the bigger capacity, and the preferred membership packages / fixturing arrangements for fans. Among the questions I do recall the notion of an annual "premium marquee game" (or words to that effect) being suggested.

The idea being, a standard GFC membership and seat package could possibly exclude this game, with separate ticketing arrangements being made.

It would be interesting what the various stakeholders thought of this concept.

Actually they could as the KP capacity is 34,000

picard-facepalm.jpg

The whole comp is posited on there not being an even playing field. The fixture isn't even. For years we've been forced to play home games at Etihad against teams who have Etihad as their home ground. Now we're expected to do it again i.e gift a home game to you.

Added to losing any perceived home ground advantage the Cats make far more from a full house at Simonds Stadium than a 70 to 80 thousand crowd at the 'G'. So we lose there too.

It's not exceptional for opposition supporters to have difficulty getting into games. Try to get in for big games in the West or SA. Has even happened at the SCG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not about a comp who gets the biggest crowds. My point is every club gets 11 home games. Richmond had a big clash against a top 4 side at home on the weekend and got 33000. You can't claim now that 70000 are going to miss the Geelong game. Richmond fans like all clubs fans get home games to attend.
I said 33k are going to miss and probably more. I have also said we should play at KP as long as we all do.

The whole comp is posited on there not being an even playing field. The fixture isn't even. For years we've been forced to play home games at Etihad against teams who have Etihad as their home ground. Now we're expected to do it again i.e gift a home game to you.

Added to losing any perceived home ground advantage the Cats make far more from a full house at Simonds Stadium than a 70 to 80 thousand crowd at the 'G'. So we lose there too.

It's not exceptional for opposition supporters to have difficulty getting into games. Try to get in for big games in the West or SA. Has even happened at the SCG.
Look at my posts. I have said from the start that we should play at KP. What I don't like is that others don't. We already have an uneven draw. This just makes it more uneven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back