Should the Cats V Tigers be played at the MCG?

Should the Cats V Tigers be played at the MCG?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not many farms in the cbd. Essendon and Collingwood should play out in the sticks once in a while. Why not? please explain?
We play in Adelaide all the time.

Geelong fans whinging again, simple solution if you don't want your home games to be moved play them all in Geelong and don't ask for home games at the G when it suits you.
Geelong doesnt want any games in melbourne. Our ceo has clearly stated for years we want all home games in geelong. Why ignore such comments?

No, I mean the backwater town out in the sticks, Geelong. aka hicksville. More culture in an out of date yoghurt. Adelaide is in the most liveable cities in the world, I'm told.

You need to be careful about believing what you're told.

Geelong should only be used for games against interstate clubs or games against minnows like north or Carlton.

Big 4 clubs (Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn) shouldn't have to travel down there
How about no. Skilled Stadium is Geelongs home ground. A lot of taxpayers money went into redevelopment. How about we make full use of it?

No team should be immune from playing in Geelong

Also, I like how you were able to sneak Hawthorn in as a big 4 team.

I'm one of the few Richmond supporters that thinks it should stay in Geelong.

It's been scheduled, leave it where it is. It's the AFL's own fault for scheduling it there in the first place.
Pretty much my thoughts. While I think it should've been scheduled at the MCG to begin with, it just doesn't seem right to move it mid season. The AFL screwed up with the schedule now they have to lie in the bed they made. Hopefully this will be a lesson about organising the fixture in the future.

Richmond nor the afl never had a problem locking out its supporters when they played home games in north queensland.
Just worry about how you pay off debt for the new ground. The second game against PA only attracted 25k - any wonder you want one of the league's highest drawing clubs to play down there. Why build a stadium that only holds 35k?

This seems like one of those stories that has materialised from nowhere. The article in the OP vaguely suggests the AFL may consider it, but the AFL has come out since and said it wouldn't happen unless Geelong wanted it- which they won't. So it's not worth too much debate really!

Geelong fans whinging again, simple solution if you don't want your home games to be moved play them all in Geelong and don't ask for home games at the G when it suits you.
We don't, we want all games at KP... Surely everyone understands this by now...

Very smart move by the afl getting on the front foot. They understand by rd 21 the tiger train will be at bursting and far to big for a place like sleepy hollow. Play it at the g so the army can roar us home.

How about no. Skilled Stadium is Geelongs home ground. A lot of taxpayers money went into redevelopment. How about we make full use of it?

No team should be immune from playing in Geelong

Also, I like how you were able to sneak Hawthorn in as a big 4 team.

Pretty simple the afl is a game of the people and when people miss out on watching their team there is an issue. Geelong have no issues playing games at the G that suit them but for whatever reason the afl idiotically fixture one of the big 3 (along with pies and us) to play there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong should only be used for games against interstate clubs or games against minnows like north or Carlton.

Big 4 clubs (Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn) shouldn't have to travel down there
Of course they should have to travel there. It's Geelong's home ground, and the capacity is growing. The big Victorian clubs not having to play Geelong in Geelong is a clear advantage to them winning. Interstate teams struggle to beat Geelong at Skilled, and we would love the opportunity to play them at the MCG or Etihad just to have a glimmer of hope in beating them. I see Geelong vs Adelaide @ Skilled and automatically pencil that in as a loss.

Of course they should have to travel there. It's Geelong's home ground, and the capacity is growing. The big Victorian clubs not having to play Geelong in Geelong is a clear advantage to them winning. Interstate teams struggle to beat Geelong at Skilled, and we would love the opportunity to play them at the MCG or Etihad just to have a glimmer of hope in beating them. I see Geelong vs Adelaide @ Skilled and automatically pencil that in as a loss.

Geelong pick and choose home games between Etihad the G and the cattery how is it a disadvantage to be playing their home game at one of their home grounds

Geelong pick and choose home games between Etihad the G and the cattery how is it a disadvantage to be playing their home game at one of their home grounds
If they pick and choose, that's their own doing - I've not no sympathy if they lose. But having to have one of their own scheduled home games moved is ridiculous, especially if they lose.

Mate you have it all wrong. Because you and north melbourne play games in Tasmania, (and other vic clubs sell home games) the AFL don't have enough games to meet their 46 game quote at both the MCG and Etihad. We are used by the AFL to fill the gaps. Seeing as we are moved away from our one and only home ground to fill the gaps, we simply ask that we are financially compensated (just like you are with your tasmania sponsorship). So the AFL gives us home games against big clubs at the MCG, because a KP game makes the club $750k to $1m. Can't make that at etihad. Can only make that at the MCG once you go past 65 to 70k attendance. That's why we normally don't play home games v bulldogs, north, melbourne or st kilda in melbourne (occasionally, but not as often as the big 4).

If they pick and choose, that's their own doing - I've not no sympathy if they lose. But having to have one of their own scheduled home games moved is ridiculous, especially if they lose.
Read what I wrote. We essentially sell home games to the AFL to help fill their quotas. We don't have much choice.

Mate you have it all wrong. Because you and north melbourne play games in Tasmania, (and other vic clubs sell home games) the AFL don't have enough games to meet their 46 game quote at both the MCG and Etihad. We are used by the AFL to fill the gaps. Seeing as we are moved away from our one and only home ground to fill the gaps, we simply ask that we are financially compensated (just like you are with your tasmania sponsorship). So the AFL gives us home games against big clubs at the MCG, because a KP game makes the club $750k to $1m. Can't make that at etihad. Can only make that at the MCG once you go past 65 to 70k attendance. That's why we normally don't play home games v bulldogs, north, melbourne or st kilda in melbourne (occasionally, but not as often as the big 4).

You don't see us scheduling to play Geelong in tassie because it would lock out fans from both sides despite the fact we have a tremendous record there (until this year at least).

No Victorian club has a sole home ground. Collingwood, Richmond and Melbourne all play home games at Etihad which their supporters hate. Sometimes they play Etihad tenant teams at Etihad as a home game

The AFL (not clubs) also gets paid a bonus for the cumulative crowd at the MCG over the year.

$1.50 per head for attendances between 2.1 million and 2.5 million patrons;
$2 per head for attendances between 2.5 million and three million patrons;
$3 per head for attendances in excess of three million patrons.

I don't think the game should be moved, but if it looks like being a decent crowd (and as things stand, it would be) the AFL clearly has an incentive to do so...

Read what I wrote. We essentially sell home games to the AFL to help fill their quotas. We don't have much choice.
Well you said you "sell", that implies that you do have a choice. Perhaps your club could grow a pair and say no? Alternatively, if they want to sell the games, like I said in my earlier post, no sympathy if they lose.

Cats/Tigers games are played at the G on an almost yearly basis and I struggle to think of the last time we had a crowd anywhere near 50k. The Tiges fans don't show up in the expected droves to the Geelong games. Until a Geelong/Tigers game DOES get a big crowd, I think the Tigers have no real complaint about playing down at KP. That being said, I'd also love to play Hawks/Pies/Dons there. We've played "home" games against Essendson at Etihad for a decade.
Think harder.

Had 45k during round 21 last year on a Sunday afternoon at the end of a long depressing season for Richmond fans. 3 weeks after we got done by 70 points, 2 weeks after we got done by 88 and only scored 23 points against GWS.
I honestly don't see how any Richmond fan would have been bothered going yet there was still 45k.

Saturday arvo at the G with both teams hopefully fighting or in top 4 would be 70k.

Richmond sure as **** shouldn't be scheduled at Simonds. Leave that for interstate teams + the low membership Victorian teams.
Even Ethihad would be a better option.
would you be okay with Corio Oval?Richmond have been traveling to Geelong to play football for 140 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back