Should the Coaches have to Apologise to Thommo?

Should the coaches apologise to Thommo for selecting him?

• Yes - this was always going to happen

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • No - it was up to him to perform

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No - he should have retired last year. He brought it onto himself

Votes: 48 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably right for game day, but game day is 1 day a week, I'm talking benefit for the rest of the week, you or anyone cannot deny that there has probably not been anyone better at preparing themselves for the trenches over the years as Thommo has
But he can be a coach and do that - why take up a list spot if you aren't going to play in the AFL?

Someone on Triple M yesterday was talking about these player/coach hybrid roles. Said they were a bad thing, means players lack accountability in both areas.

Said that if you're a player and on the list then it needs to be for your merits as a player first and foremost, not for 'what else' you bring to the table. Same with coaching. If it is to have an impact as a coach then employ them as a coach.

The biggest mistake the Crows have made in years....was letting Lyons go while giving Thompson another year.....we are now basically 4 midfielder down on the list. 1 from vacant spot for Sam Shaw, 1 from old man Thompson, 1 for giving up Lyons, 1 for CEY doing his knee....yet somehow we are still top 4. If only we had Gibbs, Rocky or Lyons ....I'd be confident we could go all the way...but I really think we are a mid or 2 short and will pay the price in a tight final. Shame as our list managers have created this....nothing to do with bad luck or form.

The biggest mistake the Crows have made in years....was letting Lyons go while giving Thompson another year.....we are now basically 4 midfielder down on the list. 1 from vacant spot for Sam Shaw, 1 from old man Thompson, 1 for giving up Lyons, 1 for CEY doing his knee....yet somehow we are still top 4. If only we had Gibbs, Rocky or Lyons ....I'd be confident we could go all the way...but I really think we are a mid or 2 short and will pay the price in a tight final. Shame as our list managers have created this....nothing to do with bad luck or form.

Add another one for Hampton being out too.

You basically need ten quality midfielders at any one time to field a proper side, assuming the old model of 5 forwards (3 talls, 2 smalls), 6 defenders (3 talls, 2 smalls, 1 loose), 1 ruckman. Counting Laird and Brown as small defenders, and Betts and Cameron (I know he is basically a mid, but someone has to be in the role at any given time so I've chosen him) as small forwards, we have:

Sloane, M. Crouch, B. Crouch, Atkins, Smith, Douglas, Knight, Milera, Mackay, and Greenwood.

At this stage, the cupboard is pretty bare past that. Seedsman can play on the wing to replace a player. In a pinch, Beech could come in. Then, other than Thompson, our most experienced midfielder is one-gamer Gallucci.

Our midfield has performed much better than I expected this season, thanks to M. Crouch, Atkins, Milera and Greenwood all performing well above expectations (and an excellent first two months from Sloane), and Mackay the only one of our midfielders having a below average season, but it would only take a couple of injuries to have us asking some tough questions.

Just makes it even more disappointing that we didn't take this opportunity to give Gallucci another game, or Poholke/Wigg a taste. Not sure I like the idea of bringing one of them in for a debut match in a final.

Love the old gun.

Was a shocking decision to include him. Hooefully they all accept reality niw. Esp thommo.

Who are our life member gun players who went out as solid contributors?

Truck....?
Macca and Goodwin were playing well, right up to the injuries which ended their seasons (and thus their careers).

Truck played some good games in his last year, but struggled in a lot of others.

Many of them went on a year too long. Smart, Roo, Burton, Edwards in particular.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Before his last game Edwards was struggling big time
He underestimated the impact that his cancer fight would have on his ability to recover between matches.

He had an extra week off before the farewell game, and had a lot more energy as a result. Not having to recover from a game the week before made a huge difference.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I hard to be sympathetic towards him when he put his hand up to play another year.

He should have known. But yeah, so should the coaches.

Most competitors don't know when to stop.

• Joe Frazier was nearly blind after round 14 of the Thrilla in Manilla and he still wanted to fight Ali. But his trainer did the right thing to protect him.
  • Muhammad Ali was well past it when he fought Larry Holmes and it was one of the worst nights in boxing history for everyone in the sport.
  • Magic Johnson was out of shape, old, rusty and finished when he came back in 96.
  • Michael Jordan was not Michael Jordan anymore when he came back with the Wizards.
  • Shaq was cooked 2 years before he called time.
A lot of athletes need to be told when it is time.

Probably right for game day, but game day is 1 day a week, I'm talking benefit for the rest of the week, you or anyone cannot deny that there has probably not been anyone better at preparing themselves for the trenches over the years as Thommo has

He wouldn't need to be on the list to do that and what are we actually talking about anyway. 1 year. This 'role' exists only for 1 year, so our draftees from this year 'benefit' from this 'role'. But none have before and none will again. It's pure rubbish, he's on the list to try and play AFL football and sadly our coaches are inept and deluded enough to have thought that he still had something to offer at the highest level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone on Triple M yesterday was talking about these player/coach hybrid roles. Said they were a bad thing, means players lack accountability in both areas.

Said that if you're a player and on the list then it needs to be for your merits as a player first and foremost, not for 'what else' you bring to the table. Same with coaching. If it is to have an impact as a coach then employ them as a coach.

But we're a club who openly admit that we select players for reasons other than what they bring to game day or what the do on game day that no one outside of the coaches understand. This particular brand of bullshit is right up our alley.

But we're a club who openly admit that we select players for reasons other than what they bring to game day or what the do on game day that no one outside of the coaches understand. This particular brand of bullshit is right up our alley.
Is a very AFC thing (Pods...) but in this case they were talking about Sam Mitchell. At least it's not exclusive to us I guess.

• Joe Frazier was nearly blind after round 14 of the Thrilla in Manilla and he still wanted to fight Ali. But his trainer did the right thing to protect him.
  • Muhammad Ali was well past it when he fought Larry Holmes and it was one of the worst nights in boxing history for everyone in the sport.
  • Magic Johnson was out of shape, old, rusty and finished when he came back in 96.
  • Michael Jordan was not Michael Jordan anymore when he came back with the Wizards.
not too many fairy tale endings in sport.

Is a very AFC thing (Pods...) but in this case they were talking about Sam Mitchell. At least it's not exclusive to us I guess.

There is a difference with Mitchell though. He brings something from outside the system, whereas an internal appointment in this kind of role doesn't bring anything new or beneficial that they weren't already bringing, and as they point out, quite possibly less.

Add another one for Hampton being out too.

You basically need ten quality midfielders at any one time to field a proper side, assuming the old model of 5 forwards (3 talls, 2 smalls), 6 defenders (3 talls, 2 smalls, 1 loose), 1 ruckman. Counting Laird and Brown as small defenders, and Betts and Cameron (I know he is basically a mid, but someone has to be in the role at any given time so I've chosen him) as small forwards, we have:

Sloane, M. Crouch, B. Crouch, Atkins, Smith, Douglas, Knight, Milera, Mackay, and Greenwood.

At this stage, the cupboard is pretty bare past that. Seedsman can play on the wing to replace a player. In a pinch, Beech could come in. Then, other than Thompson, our most experienced midfielder is one-gamer Gallucci.

Our midfield has performed much better than I expected this season, thanks to M. Crouch, Atkins, Milera and Greenwood all performing well above expectations (and an excellent first two months from Sloane), and Mackay the only one of our midfielders having a below average season, but it would only take a couple of injuries to have us asking some tough questions.

Just makes it even more disappointing that we didn't take this opportunity to give Gallucci another game, or Poholke/Wigg a taste. Not sure I like the idea of bringing one of them in for a debut match in a final.
You can see us getting an injury in the finals and then recycling Thommo because 'you can't debut someone (or play a 1 gamer) in a final'

Ah, so that's why we aren't blooding any young talent

Add Thorpe, Hackett, Hewitt to the list

Thankyou Thommo, you will go down as an AFC legend. You carried our midfield on your shoulders for many a year and for that I will tip my hat.

Unfortunately the team missed its opportunities when you were in beast mode, this time around you will have the pleasure/pain of mentoring the next group to what we all hope is our time to have another crack. (17, 18, 19)

Time to take the decision out of the coaches hands, it's time for you to make the tough decision mate.

Thankyou Thommo, you will go down as an AFC legend. You carried our midfield on your shoulders for many a year and for that I will tip my hat.

Unfortunately the team missed its opportunities when you were in beast mode, this time around you will have the pleasure/pain of mentoring the next group to what we all hope is our time to have another crack. (17, 18, 19)

Time to take the decision out of the coaches hands, it's time for you to make the tough decision mate.

That time was 12 months ago.

That time was 12 months ago.

That maybe correct and you have made your thoughts quite clear (in a sometimes disrespectful way IMO).
You, I or any other peanut cannot change the past. We can only hope the right decision gets made in the future.

Thommo has been a great club man throughout his AFC career and IMO he does not deserve some of the comments in this thread and the AFC BF board.

Back