Opinion Showdowns at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I was talking to a Port Supporting friend yesterday and we actually came to an agreeance in something relating the Showdown. Should we make both showdown's "neutral" events?

Split BOTH showdowns down the middle, give Crows supporters the Southern End and Port supporters the Northern End. Obviously this means they get the hill, but we get more room (as in the new Southern Grand Stand) So we'd probably outnumber them 30,000 vs 25,000

The atmosphere would be epic. Sure, some Crows fans would miss out because there'd probably be more than 30,000 who'd want the 12 games rather than the 10 but it adds so much more to those 2 games, and we could get a divide as we look at the tv at bouncedown time similar to that at the Red River Rivalry game in College. In College Football Texas and Oklahoma do a similar thing, their conference schedule is split 5/4 officially, but in reality it's 4/4/1, 4 home, 4 away and 1 at a neutral venue, 1 side is officially the home side and can use it for some of their own benefits (home jersey, recruiting) but in reality it's a 50/50 neutral game, and on tv it looks epic with the split at the midway point. For example, here's a close up of the midway point at the stadium.

red-river-rivalry.jpg

What we could do is split our membership again.
Say go
"Gold Full" - 10 home games + 2 neutral showdowns + Grand final priority
"Silver Full" - 10 home game + 2 neutral showdowns
"Gold Partial" - 10 home games + Grand final priority
"Silver Partial" - 10 home games

People can choose which membership they want so if they want to avoid some of the Port Adelaide stereotypes (which I havn't experienced btw) they can just go the Partial membership, and they can still get access to the grand final if they so desire.

Anyway, thoughts?
Would you do?
If not, why not?

fwiw - I'd have gate income split 50/50 (if there's a left over cent that we can't split, let the SANFL have it)

i've thought for a few years that their should be 1 neutral or combined crowd showdown a year, where members from both sides get seats

don't know how they would ticket it, but yes it would be epic

(the other showdown would obviously alternate years as to whose home game it would be)

I agree that it should be a neutral game. Whether there is one or two per year doesn't phase me.

Would be a tremendous opportunity to showcase SA Football.

Nah would result in too many empty seats. Port supporters don't go to games.

:rolleyes: They'd only have ~25,000 to sell (~30,000 once a year if we rotate ends each game)
That's about their par in years they've played pathetic.

They could pull it off in bad years and achieve it easily in good years if we can re-create the showdown as an occassion like this idea might be able to do.

Now, can you leave trolling to Bay 13?
I want a serious discussion about this because I feel it could actually be something great.

If they go the 50/50 split (or similar), how should they do it?

North/South split?
East/West split?
Alternate it?

I think North/South would make the event look greater on tv, but some people don't like being on the hill for every single showdown, so perhaps alternate it?

Some people have friends/family who support the other team, so perhaps have a bay or 2 and/or a part of the hill for non-segregation?

I hate random apostrophe placement. The word is "showdowns", not "showdown's". Grrrr!:mad:

I didnt realise we were posting on the Big English forum... :p

To the OP: I love the idea! To those saying that Port fans wouldnt show- I think knowing that if they don't attend the stadium will be chockers with Crows fans, might be a good incentive.
It really is pointless having a home and away team in Showdowns. We need to build this game up again. Is usually the roughest game of footy on the fixture, should be getting the attention it deserves.

I hate random apostrophe placement. The word is "showdowns", not "showdown's". Grrrr!:mad:
Actually, Showdown is at Adelaide Oval.
But yes, my thread is more of a question so you are right, but if it was a statement. I was correct.

Good idea for Port Adelaide but why would the Crows agree to it?

It removes any market dominance we hold. If things go to plan and the Adelaide Oval is as attractive as the media is making out and draws people back to the live game, why would we give this dominance up?

As far as I can see, we are a club based in Adelaide who plays on the Australian Football League. We're not the organization responsible for football in this state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suggested something similar to this in an earlier thread about who should get the first game at the Adelaide oval. I believe that neutral games would help lift the Showdowns to a new level and maximize attendances.

An alternative to splitting the seating down the middle is to alternate the bays between the Power and us thus giving supporters a bit more choice. Ticketing would be simpler if members were kept to the current 11 games a season but were offered the choice of which Showdown they wanted to attend. But I do like the idea of being able to buy an extra game and a Showdown at that.

It wouldn't work because it would leave no tickets to the general public

Doesn't necessarily have to be just members. MoP buying tickets could just nominate a club, and their ticket would go to that end. Would work particularly well if there was an option in the membership to go to both showdowns, but only a certain number of these could be taken (could even leaving room for general admission tickets)

Neutral showdowns are a great idea. Both clubs could use the "outnumber the other side" angle to really build the rivalry between each other.

The atmosphere would be epic!

Doesn't necessarily have to be just members. MoP buying tickets could just nominate a club, and their ticket would go to that end. Would work particularly well if there was an option in the membership to go to both showdowns, but only a certain number of these could be taken (could even leaving room for general admission tickets)

Neutral showdowns are a great idea. Both clubs could use the "outnumber the other side" angle to really build the rivalry between each other.

The atmosphere would be epic!

yeh it'd be great. but the only way i see it happening is if season ticket holders from both teams are made to line up (ala 2005 semi) at ticketek and then nominate a power or crows bay (which were alternated). members are given 2 days to buy tickets and remainder would go to the public.

i've thought for a few years that their should be 1 neutral or combined crowd showdown a year, where members from both sides get seats

don't know how they would ticket it, but yes it would be epic

(the other showdown would obviously alternate years as to whose home game it would be)

There is its called a port home game!

yeh it'd be great. but the only way i see it happening is if season ticket holders from both teams are made to line up (ala 2005 semi) at ticketek and then nominate a power or crows bay (which were alternated). members are given 2 days to buy tickets and remainder would go to the public.

That would definitely work.

I like the idea from a crowd atmosphere point of view, however, i would never agree to a 50:50 split - the split should be Crows 60: Power 40 (or whatever the full season membership for both clubs is).

Its like telling an elephant and an ant that they both have 50% share of a meal - ludicrous. :)
As for the "hill" being allocated to them........ :thumbsdown: . Maybe just build them a special little hill off their own in a corner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back