News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like the A-League is interested, will be interesting to see how it plays out. No mention of where games would be played, but you'd assume the majority would be at Simmonds, giving another 13-14 home games a year to the ground.

I know this is a bit off topic for the thread, but I think that it would be a great idea to have an a league team in Geelong... The number of kids who follow the round ball game almost* outnumbers the support for AFL(being a 16 year old myself, I've experienced at school the amount of talk about soccer players whom I've never heard of, nor ever want to take any interest in) and I'd suggest they'd easily draw decent crowds to Simonds if scheduling suited the younger population.

And as has been mentioned before, any extra events at the ground can only benefit Geelong the football club, especially given the new training facility at Deakin means that if the ground is unavailable for a few days it isn't a problem. More events means more funding to get stage 5 done.

*i say almost, as it will never truly surpass our great game in this country.

Last edited:
Looks like the A-League is interested, will be interesting to see how it plays out. No mention of where games would be played, but you'd assume the majority would be at Simmonds, giving another 13-14 home games a year to the ground.
Would be great for Simmonds to be used all year round (add in a few cricket games) hopefully it can fast track stage 5.
It will also give the local community a massive boost with everything that has closed down over the past few years

"The Herald Sun can reveal that a meeting took place five months ago between representatives of a Geelong consortium and FFA, when expansion wasn’t in the pipeline.

Subsequent conversations have taken place with the Geelong council, the State Government and the Kardinia Park Trust, who run Simonds Stadium, however the Geelong group has kept a low profile and is refusing to comment amid uncertainty around the FFA’s expansion strategy."

You would assume that if the Kardinia Park Trust is involved in the consortium, Simonds Stadium will be used............

With the addition of the Media section, should we make an album for KP redevelopment progress photos?

I know this is a bit off topic for the thread, but I think that it would be a great idea to have an a league team in Geelong... The number of kids who follow the round ball game almost* outnumbers the support for AFL(being a 16 year old myself, I've experienced at school the amount of talk about soccer players whom I've never heard of, nor ever want to take any interest in) and I'd suggest they'd easily draw decent crowds to Simonds if scheduling suited the younger population.

And as has been mentioned before, any extra events at the ground can only benefit Geelong the football club, especially given the new training facility at Deakin means that if the ground is unavailable for a few days it isn't a problem. More events means more funding to get stage 5 done.

*i say almost, as it will never truly surpass our great game in this country.
I grew up in north Geelong/bell park and soccer out numbers Aussie rules 2:1 back then anyway. You'd nearly get a flogging walking home from school with a footy in hand. Actually one Occassion I did cutting through north Geelong college after hours.

The old Kardinia Park has come along way since our premiership year of 1937.
It should be noted that Geelong Football club did not reside here for about another ten years.

1514999_252510584915188_839279288_n.jpg

I grew up in north Geelong/bell park and soccer out numbers Aussie rules 2:1 back then anyway. You'd nearly get a flogging walking home from school with a footy in hand. Actually one Occassion I did cutting through north Geelong college after hours.

Hardly surprising given the ethnic demographic that you lived in.
I grew up on the East side of the city and went to East Geelong Tech school where 99.9% of the kids were from Anglo-Celtic backgrounds. There were only a few kids of Italian background that I recall and one of them played footy for St.Albans footy club. His nick name was Spag. (i.e Spaggetti muncher).

For the younger brigade here - political correctness did not exist then. Most of the other kids that played soccer were Pommie kids.

I had a Pommie mate who managed to get me to support Man United. It was quite some years later when I discovered that Man U were the English soccer equivalent of Collingwood Football Club.

Hardly surprising given the ethnic demographic that you lived in.
I grew up on the East side of the city and went to East Geelong Tech school where 99.9% of the kids were from Anglo-Celtic backgrounds. There were only a few kids of Italian background that I recall and one of them played footy for St.Albans footy club. His nick name was Spag. (i.e Spaggetti muncher).

For the younger brigade here - political correctness did not exist then. Most of the other kids that played soccer were Pommie kids.

I had a Pommie mate who managed to get me to support Man United. It was quite some years later when I discovered that Man U were the English soccer equivalent of Collingwood Football Club.

Just what would be the English soccer equivalent of Geelong Football club?

I would not have a clue. Geelong is unique in that it is the only country team in the competition.
Do you know of any EPL equivalents?

Would anyone have an idea if Geelong FC would have anything to do with the A League bid at all?
I have heard a whisper that Costa may be involved

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would anyone have an idea if Geelong FC would have anything to do with the A League bid at all?
I have heard a whisper that Costa may be involved

"The Herald Sun can reveal that a meeting took place five months ago between representatives of a Geelong consortium and FFA, when expansion wasn’t in the pipeline.

Subsequent conversations have taken place with the Geelong council, the State Government and the Kardinia Park Trust, who run Simonds Stadium, however the Geelong group has kept a low profile and is refusing to comment amid uncertainty around the FFA’s expansion strategy.

It’s understood that FFA heavyweights have privately said they favour Geelong and South Sydney as expansion areas."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/f...e/news-story/a37691c633e388660c763fb488de413e

On what basis do you see any great marks of equivalence between United and the Pies?

I would not have a clue. Geelong is unique in that it is the only country team in the competition.
Do you know of any EPL equivalents?
Maybe Swansea City? Very similarly sized cities

Man. City had a pretty good history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory back in the 80s and nineties I think. There was a telly show where a bloke always got around in his city T shirt and copped flak for following losers.

I could always understand his pain!

Now they have turned the corner too.

As a Geelong and Spurs supporter, I was always feeling that "next year will be our year"

Now I am just stuck as a Spurs supporter doing that :(

As a Geelong and Spurs supporter, I was always feeling that "next year will be our year"

Now I am just stuck as a Spurs supporter doing that :(

It's a tough life. Embarrassing this morning.

A couple of updates via social media-

It looks good. The stands are really starting to take shape.
When I am in the city or travel to east or south Geelong, I drive into the car park at K'park and keep and eye on the progress of the stands.

Does anyone know if they will roll out some canvas between the brownlow and premiership stands between the roof lines?

Does anyone know if they will roll out some canvas between the brownlow and premiership stands between the roof lines?
Don't know for sure but all of the artists impressions that we've got so far have included the joint roofline... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back