News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol i must admit the moment I heard this news I thought the unions are playing up purely as they know they can squeeze here as there is a strict deadline

I do have an exceptionally low opinion of the unions though so that may cloud my judgement.
People can have a low opinion of Unions but if we never had them we'd be a 3rd world country with 2% of the population holding over 99% of the wealth.
Unless you were born into the elite of society you're life is far better because of them.
Not to mention the amount of people that would've died on worksites, no overtime or weekends, poor quality of patient care and teaching as well as a corrupt police force.
Plenty of dodgy things do happen in Unions but they're a drop in the ocean compared to all levels of government and the corporate world.
I'm not very happy the club publicly sided against the union.
Anyway BigBlackBoz that's the last of my political rants. I'll let it go now.

There are pros and cons to both union and non union environs.

In this case, lets hope that the May 19th or whatever the date of delivery is is met by all parties.

Go Catters

I drove past Kardinia Park on Saturday morning and noticed that there were quite a few construction workers on site actually working. So whilst the media might say the site has been shut down I'd say that it's only the union members who have walked off the job.

Here's a photo I grabbed on the way back past in the arvo-

20161203_165007_zpsu1uusyip.jpg

A little bit of progress from the previous photo which was posted on Friday with more of the precast slabs lifted into place on the lower level and a bit of roof work being completed.

Last edited:
"Kane Constructions has decided to use their workforce as political fodder in its efforts to assist Malcolm Turnbull’s campaign to introduce his anti-worker laws,” Mr Reardon said.

This is why we need unions. I support these guys working at Simonds.

maybe I am a little tired, but I really think the way the AFL has structured the draw they are wanting Simonds to lose a game or 2 in 2017 to Etihad?

People can have a low opinion of Unions but if we never had them we'd be a 3rd world country with 2% of the population holding over 99% of the wealth.
Unless you were born into the elite of society you're life is far better because of them.
Not to mention the amount of people that would've died on worksites, no overtime or weekends, poor quality of patient care and teaching as well as a corrupt police force.
Plenty of dodgy things do happen in Unions but they're a drop in the ocean compared to all levels of government and the corporate world.
I'm not very happy the club publicly sided against the union.
Anyway BigBlackBoz that's the last of my political rants. I'll let it go now.
I think unions are absolutely necessary, but it's either disingenuous or naive to suggest that most Australian unions in general and the CFMEU in particular give a rat's ass about workers other than as a passing interest to give the appearance of care. They are engaged in standover tactics and are unaccountable with the funds they extort from both workers and companies. Corruption is endemic, sadly, as every inquiry into union behaviour has shown.
Corporations, of course, have been complicit. But the difference is that they are held accountable by shareholders and in a broader sense by the rule of law and corporate governance requirements. Unions are a law unto themselves.

Just a reminder that while a bit of pro / anti union discussion is relevant, let's not get too far off the main topic of the stadium itself.

This is not directed at either side not a specific post.. Just a general note..

Go Catters

I think unions are absolutely necessary, but it's either disingenuous or naive to suggest that most Australian unions in general and the CFMEU in particular give a rat's ass about workers other than as a passing interest to give the appearance of care. They are engaged in standover tactics and are unaccountable with the funds they extort from both workers and companies. Corruption is endemic, sadly, as every inquiry into union behaviour has shown.
Corporations, of course, have been complicit. But the difference is that they are held accountable by shareholders and in a broader sense by the rule of law and corporate governance requirements. Unions are a law unto themselves.
Certainly is corruption. I wonder if there was ever proper independent review into local government how much corruption would be found.
Unfortunately it's in no company or corporations interest to do such reviews but it's very much in their interests to do Union inquiries.
Despite them not giving a "rat's arse" I've seen them help plenty of people who've been treated unfairly including myself.
As far as standover tactics I'm not naive enough to think it doesn't happen. But the only standover tactics I've ever experienced were from a labor hire company's thugs (one of whom had a gun on his front seat) who were trying to intimidate workers into joining their company on less pay. Without a union they would of succeeded.
I do know there's a lot of wrong doing and corruption but it's the whole mindset of hating unions now that gets me. We only having the luxury of hating them now because of what they've done for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know if you will be able to walk between the stands on level 2 concourse ? Eg the premiership stand and players stand has a joined concourse on level 2, will it be extended through the premiership stand into the new stand?

Does anyone know if you will be able to walk between the stands on level 2 concourse ? Eg the premiership stand and players stand has a joined concourse on level 2, will it be extended through the premiership stand into the new stand?
Couldn't say for sure but the concourse in the premiership stand is open at the northern end, so you would assume so... I can't imagine that they'd design it that it wouldn't join up. Also, the entrances into the actual seating areas from that level appear to be at the same height as those in the other stands so it would make sense that it goes through.

I know it wont happen, but it would be good to have some standing areas in the stadium. I dont mean the crowded alley ways at the end of a bar but actual rows with designated spots, each row having a low barrier, potentially with a small bench space and flip down chair at the back if you get tired at half time. They have them at some soccer grounds in Germany and is line with the current fad for people to stand at desks rather than sit.

I know it wont happen, but it would be good to have some standing areas in the stadium. I dont mean the crowded alley ways at the end of a bar but actual rows with designated spots, each row having a low barrier, potentially with a small bench space and flip down chair at the back if you get tired at half time. They have them at some soccer grounds in Germany and is line with the current fad for people to stand at desks rather than sit.

You mean like the safe standing rails?

7634595bf1e3c1ca3fbb1df048d1ead2.jpg

The area under the current scoreboard where the Peter Street stand used to be would be perfect for this purpose. But they might not like the visual as that would be on the broadcast side of the ground.

Remember the days when there was a beer strike every Christmas?

Yep, and Southwark would be shipped across the border into Vic.
After the strike you would never see a bottle of it again.

Southwark-Bitter-Beer-Sa-Jubilee-150-Years-In.jpg

Really excited to get to my new seat in the Brownlow after seeing that.
The view from level C looks sensational... actually the view from everywhere looks sensational

I drove past Kardinia Park on Saturday morning and noticed that there were quite a few construction workers on site actually working. So whilst the media might say the site has been shut down I'd say that it's only the union members who have walked off the job.

Here's a photo I grabbed on the way back past in the arvo-

20161203_165007_zpsu1uusyip.jpg

A little bit of progress from the previous photo which was posted on Friday with more of the precast slabs lifted into place on the lower level and a bit of roof work being completed.

Most would be sub contractors, therefore not union members

Remove this Banner Ad

Back