Scandal Slobbo implies Essendon tanked

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care if they tanked. They would only be joining a long line of other sides who have done it. Far more competitive sides (than Essendon) have tanked in the past, and did so successfully.

Every team has either had a player run with rich or employed a hard tag on him this year. Essendon didn't. Even when he was really starting to get going no player was sent to him. Also some of those set shot goals missed were ridiculous are they really that bad? Game was there to be won for Essendon but it didn't seem like the coach was making the moves he needed to make in order to try and win. I think the question has to be asked I mean this a club that are drug cheats is tanking really below them?

Hawthorn vs. Richmond scoreline at 3/4 time: 7 goals 15 behinds to 3 goals 11 behinds... clearly both tanking

Tagging players won't win you a game alone. You also need to have the talent on the offensive. Bombers average 65 points a game so tagging a player isn't the issue this year.

Biggest non-article this year. Essendon didn't tag Rich so they are clearly tanking, how do some "writers" actually get away with putting this dribble in the papers? It is the Herald Sun though so I guess that's their thing.

Fair point. Essendon are really crap this year, but it's not really a surprise. I'd add that Essendon would have some pride in wanting to avoid a wooden spoon since 1933 or whatever it is.
A year ago, Robbo wrote the gospel of truth didn't he. All the big, bad AFL's fault!

You are all a bunch of clowns.

Essendon smashed Brisbane in the inside 50's and had more scoring shots. They have also not tagged anyone all year because they don't have a player capable enough to do so. You can't cut someones legs off and then expect them to be able to walk.

You and I know this.

Others seem to think it "could blow up from here"
Well, just quietly, it's a pretty big accusation that Slobbo has decided to run with, so with the sensationalism in today's media it very well could've blown up.

Tim Watson certainly wasn't amused by the article and what Slobbo had implied.

Luckily, most people have a low care factor for any of Slobbo's thoughts.

Well, just quietly, it's a pretty big accusation that Slobbo has decided to run with, so with the sensationalism in today's media it very well could've blown up.

It was a clickbait article from a clickbait journo.

Probably got smashed and laid a few k on the Dons and is now angry

As if they were ever going to risk not getting the number 1 pick once their players were rightly rubbed out for doping.

And for anyone who says "what difference when there's no standout" 1) it's always better to have the option to pick whoever you want (ie may be a choice between a mid and a KP player) and 2) they will definitely use the number 1 pick for marketing purposes and to give their supporters hope, they're gonna need all the good press they can get.

Wasn't the thing that clubs tank by playing players out of position? Shout out to 1st-gamer Francis, a defender, who got pushed forward ;) Looked pretty good actually.
Honestly though, who cares about tanking. If you can't make finals why wouldn't you trial kids, trial players out of position, experiment. On top of that you win a better draft pick. It's win/win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon were just garbage on Sunday, cannot believe the suggestion they tanked is even a consideration.

As for not tagging Rich - Worsfold has not tagged a single player all year; even when Crowley was in the side.

More sensationalist crap from Robbo.

Yes,........and even lower care factor for Tim's thoughts.

I think the only way to settle this once and for all is that from now on, no one should tag Daniel Rich...please?

Untagged, Daniel Rich and Stephan Hill would be all timers. Alas they never overcame the tag.

I feel a bit sorry for those 2, they were both hard tagged by about their 6th AFL games. Many others get tagged too, but those 2 were never able to even get into their groove as young pups.

So what was his response? We didn't tank. We were beaten by a better team. Something like that I guess.
He was a bit pissy that Slobbo didn't have the stones to come out and say(print) what he actually meant.

I don't care if they are tanking. I do care, however, if they get that first pick, which it seems they are likely to. This is how I've felt since their players were suspended. You cannot, IMO, reward this team with the #1 pick in a year their team was weakened due to suspensions for doping violations and they will regain the 12 suspended players next year. I appreciate not everyone will think this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back