Autopsy Smashed in the middle no worries brutal 14pt win against the Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest difference is goal accuracy. Dogs are kicking massive amounts of behinds. They're getting the ball in there, they've got the forwards to do it, just not putting it away. Improve their accuracy % and they will rocket up the ladder.
On a related note, our field kicking has mostly been incredible this year.

A big part of our winning game plan.
Have we got a new kicking coach? (Or do the coaches say “just ask Errol, mate” and they do?🤪)

McInierny played his best game since 2022.
Florent is worse than Lloyd. Mills and Tom Mac to take their places later.
Parker can start ahead of Adams.

Last edited:

Kind of felt it was good to grind one out, win ugly, whatever u wanna call it.

We got lucky with the Doggies wayward kicking and key injuries, but those muppets in flouro killed us all night, apart from that late 50 & goal for McClean which was very ironic I thought 🤷‍♂️😂

Anyway the boys have earned a nice 17 day break, and will hopefully come back fresh & healthy.

Poor tackling, trying to be too fancy with our kicking cost us today.
Need to ensure a few more wins after the bye and start getting games into Mills/Parker/Sheldrick/Ladhams

You don't win many games with this.

I'll take it.
ffcf5b70c090f841a35936899d1191bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
Very true TT and it hurt us for sure BUT a lot of the dogs possies are little diagonals, out the back and runarounds.
I couldn't help myself, I checked out the distances:
Dogs 5289m poss 368 avpp 14.37
Swans 5243m poss 311 avpp 16.86*
This differs from the team numbers on the AFL site because I added it all up myself. Don't trust them.
Tackles also favoured us 75-54
Hitouts to us 51-34
Bounces (symbolic only) 13-2
Again clearances remain our Achilles heel but it does seem we're working on it.
To my eye our biggest faults were:
Keeping our footing. Dodgy buggers those dogs.
Fumbled a fair bit which we have improved a lot.
Not great position at the drop of the ball led to the dogs getting more crumbs than their share.

Seems to me the coaches had Roberts keeping his seat warm
I think that's a bit unfair. They ran him through there in preseason and he did well enough to earn a run. Then maybe he surprised them with the quality of his play so he got a longer run than originally expected. I think they were fair dinkum in giving him a rest but if Mills goes to defence you would have to think he'll be shaking hands with Truslove.

Have to say this is better than a year ago, the last time I paid for Qatar Airways wifi, just for us to get smashed by the Cats. Currently over the WA desert.

I didn't watch heaps of the game, but sometimes you just take the win, reset over the bye and go again.
Its your typicall football game where you win 2-1 and the opposition had 25 shots to your 5, they had all of the right key stats indicators but a wins a win. Onto the bye and a week closer to Mills/Parker/McCartin returning with no damage done to our ladder position

50 to McLean wasn’t there IMO but the free against Warner wasn’t there either so that evens itself out.

The only player from the Bulldogs I have time for is Richards just an honest footballer. His move to the midfield has been a good move for him. He was a handful in the first half and a big moment in the game him going off with the accidental head clash.

Warner second half gives him the votes.

Not our best game of footy but seemed like most expected a flat performance heading into the bye where we would probably just do enough to win. Bit flat but good enough.

Some diabolical decision making at times and Francis just has lack of confidence written all over him. However he’s been Called in to do a tough job and won’t pile on him.

Bye feels almost timely.

Thursday win means weekend is fine can relax and just watch some footy now.
That 50, like the earlier one to Joel was 100% correct. In both cases the dog knocked the ball out of their hands. No false drop.
Two big head clashes and luckily our guys (Harry and Ollie) both survived. 🤞
Francis did pretty well last week but the reach on the 3 tall dogs plus Bont is extraordinary. He was in decent position but well shy of the ball.
Melican, despite having a few kicked, was very smart tonight. Kept saying to myself "Nice job there Lewis". One especially when he tore across the right BP and marked the ball in front of our bloke and theirs. Sweet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely love that goal. Nice leadup, then the cracker lead and long pass. 🤩
I think Francis is in trouble, getting benched while we were defending an onslaught. Did he get injured or did Longmire pull him?
He looked absolutely knackered on the bench. Probably dropped Lloyd back, definitely dropped Logan back and he did OK. 😵‍💫

Melican is about the fairest player going around if thats what your asking just a really unfortunate accident.
Dan's post has disappeared. Totally agree with H2F. I've watched Lewis quite closely his whole career and never seen him do anything dodgy.
Dogs seriously unlucky today with two head knocks (both from guys contesting the ball) plus Naughton.

Have to say this is better than a year ago, the last time I paid for Qatar Airways wifi, just for us to get smashed by the Cats. Currently over the WA desert.

I didn't watch heaps of the game, but sometimes you just take the win, reset over the bye and go again.
Qatar tucker is pretty decent but you have to hassle them for extra water. I've drunk about 4 litres since we got home at 6.15.

If the AFL is ever to be a national competition, the Melbourne media AFL Melbourne teams f..k-fest has got to stop. We could go undefeated for the year, winning every final by 5 goals+ yet post the GF all the talk will still be about how Essendon won their first final in 10,000 years, how lucky we were as the Pies came back from a bad start, how Geelong keep on playing finals and never bottoming out and how Carlton once again missed the wooden spoon. The clubs will get together and decide that since the Swans won the GF, beating every team AND since the only team to beat the Swans was the Tigers, then by the sort of bent AFL logic that saw us punished for following the rules when we recruited Buddy and saw Parker given a life sentence for a block, the premiership will be awarded to the Tigers. Yze will be bemused, Softwick will be incensed, Horse will be flummoxed and throw his hands in the air in frustration. Dusty will be celebrated as the only player to win a Norm Smith without playing in the GF.

Every week I've summarised the Footy (Melbourne) media, in an exposé of these southern charlatans. I might as well start with the synopsis from Round 11

Rd11. Headline: Melbourne media and Bwave-Dogs left in shock as 50:50 umpiring decision goes to Swans. “I don’t comment on umpiring decisions” states Beveridge - subtext - I don’t have to, they always go to the Dogs - “But I just have this to say….” He then proceeds to bang on about one umpiring decision for the next few minutes. Read the room Bevo, everyone knows you had more than your share of free kicks in the 2016GF - What’s that? Apparently the bigwigs of the AFL beg to differ. The Bwave Dogs are so bwave. Bevo used the word bwave 27 times in one paragraph.

So much for AFL impartiality.

In the AFL website’s Match report, writer Gemma Bastiani hands any credit for the win to a masterclass from West Australian superstar Chad Warner. “Every time the Dogs threatened to take control of the game and open up a winning margin, it was star Swan Chad Warner who turned the tide”

No mention that at pick 39, every other club passed on him at least twice. If he was an academy player the AFL would give fast Eddie and the Melbourne clubs a free rein to pillage the northern academies.

The Dogs were so much braver than the Swans, according to Bastiani. She can be heard drooling as she writes : The Dogs were brave to the end despite losing key forward Aaron Naughton (knee) and in-form midfielder Ed Richards (concussion), who had been arguably best on ground to that point, early in the game….but a controversial 50m penalty paid to Hayden McLean put an end to the comeback, just as the Bulldogs threatened to snatch it.

Aww, poor Bravedogs. Bastiani really needs to write her own copy rather than leaving it up to a couple of Bontempelli stalking volunteers in the Dogs marketing department to run something up for her. My guess is she was too busy hanging out in the Dogs’ change room, her scent mingling with the rank sourness of stale sweat from these bwave, bwave players as her eyes slide lazily down their hairy backs.

<YUK Filter activated>

I didn’t catch all the game but it seems like we gave them a tonne of scoring shots.

I am reading a lot about us losing contested possies but I wonder if our backline was our biggest weakness for the game? They had a lot of marks inside 50 from the parts I saw and most of those from long passes into forward 50.

We are obviously missing McCartin and surely Mills comes back in defence. KPD is one place we are weak for depth though.

Francis tries hard but to be honest he looks like someone who isn’t enjoying / maybe never enjoyed his footy. Maybe he is one of those professional athletes who plays because he is good, and not lot of the game? Or maybe his game wits are a bit low and so he always looks a moment behind? I dunno, but I am not confident when he is playing.

Why should I fix a problem I didn’t create.

I’m in the midst of trying to solve all of Melbourne’s forward half issues and now I’ve gotta deal with this?

What’s next, you’ll make me do the warm down Massage for Grundy?
Grundy is fine.
But the team would like a Butler for the break if you are free. They deserve it don’t you think?

This autopsy reads a little like a Game day thread. Everyone’s Adrenalin is through the roof after a challenging end to the game.

Realistically though.
We were comfortable for most of the game and were actually pulling away in the 4th. It felt to me like a traditional Swans ‘24 game where we slowly get on top of the opposition and end the game significantly ahead.

To their credit, they went bezerk and threw everything at us in the 4th, but we stood firm. A great win !!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back